What are the poker position names with x players? (1 Viewer)

BEANFIENT

Waiting List
Reaction score
So I've got a basic understanding of the positions given to the players around a table of poker. However, I was wondering how the positions are given with a non standard number of players (4,5,7,8,9).
From what I've seen, if there were four players on a table, there would be a BTN, SB, BB and UTG. But why not a Cutoff instead of the Under The Gun? Are there specific rules on this?

So I've got a basic understanding of the positions given to the players around a table of poker. However, I was wondering how the positions are given with a non standard number of players (4,5,7,8,9).
From what I've seen, if there were four players on a table, there would be a BTN, SB, BB and UTG. But why not a Cutoff instead of the Under The Gun? Are there specific rules on this?
Nothing written in stone here. Some are going to call it utg & others will call it the co.

Depending on the number of players, usually the SB, BB, UTG, (sometimes) HJ, CO and Button are identified as such, and additional players are identified as UTG+1, UTG+2, etc.

9 is actually a fairly standard number of players online, and 8 is fairly common both online and in real life (as evidenced by the number of 8 player tables sold by most vendors). Hell, as long as there are enough cards to deal everybody 2 cards and 5 more for the Flop/Turn/River, any number bigger than 1 and less than 24 is theoretically acceptable (although anything bigger than 10 becomes somewhat impractical) for Hold Em poker. Imagine 23 players at a table, and you see that labels become pretty meaningless at that point.

I find it more helpful to think in terms of relative position rather than specific seat position - EP (early position), MP (mid position) or LP (late position).

But yes, at a 4 person table you could call UTG the CO (which would make BB the HJ). A 3 player table could also be confusing if you want to start changing labels, because the Button is also UTG. And don't even get me started with Heads Up (HU) 2 player table, where the SB, BB, UTG, HJ, CO and Button labels become pretty mashed up.

Bottom line is don't sweat it too much. As long as you understand where you or a player in question is seated in relation to the remaining action, what you call a specific seat position isn't terribly critical (IMO).

Last edited:
There is no rule. I like to work backwards from the button until we have a hijack seat before the cutoff, then work forwards from the BB, as follows:
4-handed --> SB, BB, cutoff, button
5-handed --> SB, BB, hijack, cutoff, button
6-handed --> SB, BB, UTG, hijack, cutoff, button
7-handed --> SB, BB, UTG, UTG+1, hijack, cutoff, button
8-handed --> SB, BB, UTG, UTG+1, MP, hijack, cutoff, button
9-handed --> SB, BB, UTG, UTG+1, MP1, MP2, hijack, cutoff, button

Ugh, overthinking it. Regardless of number of players, you have (preflop) UTG, early, middle, late, button, SB, BB with possible overlaps if short handed. After the flop you have UTG, early, middle, late, button. Preflop hand decisions should be based on how many are left to act behind you (pure theory play)

I go always back from the button, because of the gto charts. If i have a chart for nine players but only seven players on the table i wouldnt use the utg and utg+1 chart. But if it isnt for charts, i think it doesnt really matter..

In a short handed game it is fine to say UTG/HJ or similar so that the reader understands the table dynamics better.

Depends on context. Cutoff implies late position, so for four players, Cutoff makes more sense than Under the Gun since you'll be playing with a wider range.

10 Players
SB, small blind
BB, big blind
UTG, under the gun, BTN-7
UTG+1, BTN-6
UTG+2, BTN-5
FJ, farjack, BTN-4, UTG+3
LJ, lowjack, BTN-3, UTG+4
HJ, hijack, BTN-2, UTG+5
CO, cutoff, BTN-1, UTG+6
BTN, button

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account and join our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Back
Top Bottom