What are some of the unwritten rules of poker? (1 Viewer)

This has popped up on Reddit a couple times recently:

If you win a pot and somebody is sheepish about showing their cards, just flip up your hand and let the guy muck. No need insulting a guy making him show his loser because "I paid to see it".
Guy bets, you call.
He hems and haws and says, "If you can call you win."
I say, "Then muck your hand."

Seriously, if you bluff and get called either muck or 'show your shame'.

Guy bets, you call.
He hems and haws and says, "If you can call you win."
I say, "Then muck your hand."

Seriously, if you bluff and get called either muck or 'show your shame'.

IMO you can muck your hand any time you want. It is after all YOUR hand. What is bad etiquette is when the person calls and then both people don't want to turn their hand over. Once there is a bet and call on the river you need to either flip over your hand or muck. Don't sit there waiting for the other person to turn over their hand while they do the same - just wasting time. That shit is annoying af.

IMO you can muck your hand any time you want. It is after all YOUR hand. What is bad etiquette is when the person calls and then both people don't want to turn their hand over. Once there is a bet and call on the river you need to either flip over your hand or muck. Don't sit there waiting for the other person to turn over their hand while they do the same - just wasting time. That shit is annoying af.

My big pet peeve is when I am 3rd in line with a bluff catcher and 2nd has the nuts waiting for the 1st person to show. Inevitably 1 has garbage that I beat, so it hurts more when #2 eventually shows.

Don’t say you are mucking your hand unless you’re also the dealer.

Respect the host. Don’t step on his/her game with your behavior. Don’t be a PITA if you want to be asked back.

Some examples include:

• Chronically showing up late;​
• Instigating fights/drama;​
• Humiliating the losing regs, so that they don’t want to come back;​
• Borrowing money from other players then ducking the game for a couple months because you haven’t paid people back;​
• Hitting-and-running (coming up with lame excuses to leave once you build a nice stack, never before);​
• Being that guy who is always 100% certain that “I DIDN’T GET THE RIGHT NUMBER OF CHIPS,” counts them six times, then finally realizes that oh, yeah, I did get the right amount;​
• Being that guy who constantly reserves a spot then texts a half-hour before gametime that he couldn't get a ride (no license, DUI), or it’s his ex-sister-in-law’s birthday, or whatever.​
• Being that guy who wants a full list of exactly who else is coming before deciding whether to play;​
• Being that guy who can’t stop debating the hand from a whole orbit ago, and is failing to deal/put his blind out because it’s so important to debate the other guy who made a “bad play” against you;​
• Always wanting something extra for yourself beyond what other players expect (Can I come over 7 am Sunday morning to fish in your pond? Can I drink all your best whiskey? Can I be there 25 minutes late and still get the on-time bonus?)​
• Having a million little requests that interrupt the host’s duties/play, like never having your phone charged, not bringing your charger, and asking to borrow one every single session.​

Oh, I could go on. Thankfully I’ve eliminated most (if not all) of these characters from my game, but they still crop up sometimes.

#1 Sit down
#2 Stop bitching
#3 learn to play everyone else's hand, your cards arent changing

And please tip the host, they are essentially your waiter for the evening. Especially if you land in the money. (If you forget like I did the first time played, always make it right)

Oh I almost forgot, dont poop your pants.

Last edited:
Respect the host. Don’t step on his/her game with your behavior. Don’t be a PITA if you want to be asked back.

Some examples include:

• Chronically showing up late;​
• Instigating fights/drama;​
• Humiliating the losing regs, so that they don’t want to come back;​
• Borrowing money from other players then ducking the game for a couple months because you haven’t paid people back;​
• Hitting-and-running (coming up with lame excuses to leave once you build a nice stack, never before);​
• Being that guy who is always 100% certain that “I DIDN’T GET THE RIGHT NUMBER OF CHIPS,” counts them six times, then finally realizes that oh, yeah, I did get the right amount;​
• Being that guy who constantly reserves a spot then texts a half-hour before gametime that he couldn't get a ride (no license, DUI), or it’s his ex-sister-in-law’s birthday, or whatever.​
• Being that guy who wants a full list of exactly who else is coming before deciding whether to play;​
• Being that guy who can’t stop debating the hand from a whole orbit ago, and is failing to deal/put his blind out because it’s so important to debate the other guy who made a “bad play” against you;​
• Always wanting something extra for yourself beyond what other players expect (Can I come over 7 am Sunday morning to fish in your pond? Can I drink all your best whiskey? Can I be there 25 minutes late and still get the on-time bonus?)​
• Having a million little requests that interrupt the host’s duties/play, like never having your phone charged, not bringing your charger, and asking to borrow one every single session.​

Oh, I could go on. Thankfully I’ve eliminated most (if not all) of these characters from my game, but they still crop up sometimes.
haha this guy hosts.

luckily we have a good group of guys that don't do alot of this stuff. there is one guy that bug's the shit out of me because he "acts" like he doesn't know what's going on but i'm pretty positive he does. he just does it to get under other's skin. like constantly asking "how much is it?" every single hand.... :banghead: same dude that said i bet ten hundred... hes special.. lol

- treat chips with respect, not like they are flint and steel and you are trying to spark a fire
- wait a reasonable amount of time to call clock on someone facing a huge bet
- show home game dealers appreciation - no one "wants" to do it
- rather than betting pot and expecting someone else to figure it out, bet an amount

When called on the river, don’t say ”I’ve got nothing” when you in fact got bottom/middle pair or whatever crappy hand you inadvertantly bluffed with but that happens to beat my light/hero call.

Dont tell the worst players at the table how badly they played a hand. They dont care, it will piss them off and you risk them not coming again.
Grant, have you been holding out on me, not critiquing my game??o_O I lose quite steadily and regularly at your games! Haha:ROFL: :ROFLMAO:

- rather than betting pot and expecting someone else to figure it out, bet an amount
In pot limit games, "Pot" is a legal bet. Dealer or designee should count it and state the value of the bet.

Sure, it is.
It may not be a figure, but it is an amount.
I think the purpose of the statement is that saying "I put you all in" is rude. Plus, if you misjudge the size of someone's stack and they actually have you covered, it would constitute an illegal bet (i.e. betting more than you have). Much better for the game to just bet an amount or claim yourself all in.

In pot limit games, "Pot" is a legal bet. Dealer or designee should count it and state the value of the bet.
That's definitely the written rule. At a home game though, unwritten, just give a best estimate and place a bet. Determining whether 17 or 19 is exactly correct just slows things down to a crawl.

I think the purpose of the statement is that saying "I put you all in" is rude. Plus, if you misjudge the size of someone's stack and they actually have you covered, it would constitute an illegal bet (i.e. betting more than you have). Much better for the game to just bet an amount or claim yourself all in.
This. When I hear “I put you all in” my next response is “floor” and I ask them what the bet is, because no amount has been stated. Typically they either ask the bettor to name an amount, and they usually say they are all in, but in a couple of cases I’ve had the floor rule that it is a minimum bet since no amount was stated.
I usually take it as an angle designed to get a response from me, and that’s my response. Particularly when they toss one chip in and say it.

I hosted a game last night where two newbies joined. Awesome guys, but the worst players ever, and I mean didn't know the game, played the worst cards. So bad they couldn't even get the beginners luck aspect of being a maniac. Like calling large bets on 5th street with 9 high bad.

Fucking regs wouldn't stop letting them have it. So after they left, and I apologized to the new guys (one of which is a newer friend), I fucking laid into the regs. My response was this:

"If these guys are friends, you want them coming back because you enjoy their company, so don't be a dick. Even if you aren't friends with them, you still want them coming back so you can take their money. The only reason you don't want someone coming back is because they're being dicks and ruining the game. And today that's you fucking guys"

And then I got smacked in the face with the deck, connected with every fucking flop, and ran the table. I was so tempted to chide them every hand...

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account and join our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Back
Top Bottom