What are some of the unwritten rules of poker? (1 Viewer)

And “I put you all in” is not an amount
I always answer “you can’t put me all in”, usually a small pause and “only I can put myself all in”

I flipping hate when someone says though.

shit, he put me all in. I wish I could fold, but he put me all in. Damn!

I might use that in a game though when I have the stone cold nuts. “I’ll put you all in. You don’t have a choice, because I put you in. Oh, sorry, you lose”

Don't think I saw this one in the thread but it's one that bugs me for sure: Don't waste time "hollywooding" when you know you are folding, just fucking fold already.

The only time I would possibly be okay with this is if you made a big bluff and got raised or something and you don't want to insta-muck so you take a few seconds to pretend like you're thinking it over. However, that doesn't happen that often I'd imagine, and even in the case it does, 10 seconds of pretend thinking is plenty long enough. No one wants to sit there and watch you act out your "I'm so confused on what to do" fake Oscar scene.

Don't think I saw this one in the thread but it's one that bugs me for sure: Don't waste time "hollywooding" when you know you are folding, just fucking fold already.

The only time I would possibly be okay with this is if you made a big bluff and got raised or something and you don't want to insta-muck so you take a few seconds to pretend like you're thinking it over. However, that doesn't happen that often I'd imagine, and even in the case it does, 10 seconds of pretend thinking is plenty long enough. No one wants to sit there and watch you act out your "I'm so confused on what to do" fake Oscar scene.

show ‘em chips are handy in these situations. You get to call them out.

This is NOT, in any way, why it is rude to hit and run. The object is to amass chips and keep them lol.

It is rude because a hit and run equates to, "I don't give a f@&$ about y'alls company, I'm here for the money" which, of course, is not the sole (or even principal) purpose of a social game.
Well said!

Also everyone made commitments to be there. Home games don't have endless waiting lists. If you take a seat and put the game shorthanded after an hour, it's practically a no show in my book.

show home game dealers appreciation - no one "wants" to do it

Exception @inca911 . Forrest ends up dealing when I see him, and he's pretty good.

Politely offering a suggestion to the host can be fine (depending on how it's done!), but don't pester them every other session! If you don't like the way the game is run, start up your own!

Politely offering a suggestion to the host can be fine (depending on how it's done!), but don't pester them every other session! If you don't like the way the game is run, start up your own!

Started polite, then devolved to pestering when bad rules were used to abuse and take advantage...

Most interesting rule he had, among many bad ones, was cards don't call themselves. If you dont call "2 pair" with a pair on the board & (edited) 99 in your hand and just say pair of 9s you cant beat someone's pocket (edited) 8s. 100% he (and a couple of his buddies) exploits newer players on this routinely. (edit) Imagine
99 vs 88 on JJ723 board.

Turning point was when I kept saying I had quad kings at the end of each hand, pointing out both how silly it was and that the fact I didn't have them shouldn't matter according to his rules. If I can be wrong calling my flush as a straight and its binding then miscalling quad kings is equally binding from a logical standpoint and I will win unless he starts calling AAAA or higher. Ultimately he changed it once people realized and took a minute to think about what he was doing. It amazes me how many people don't know the rules to hold'em but will toss hundreds of dollars around.

It's these little moments that fill my life with joy.

Last edited:
Most interesting rule he had, among many bad ones, was cards don't call themselves. If you dont call "2 pair" with a pair on the board & 88 in your hand and just say pair of 8s you cant beat someone's pocket 9s.

What am I missing here? If the board is say JJxxx, your 88 still loses to his 99 either way, right?

What am I missing here? If the board is say JJxxx, your 88 still loses to his 99 either way, right?
You're right, I totally fumbled that example bass ackwards. Edited above. You have 99,villan has 89 and board is JJ824. Or 99v88 on a JJ723 board, same scenario. You say i have a pair of NINES and villan says "well i have 2 pair 8s and jacks" his house rule was you would lose because you called your hand as a pair of 9s, because the cards don't speak.

Or you could have AK on JQ10 board and when he asked what you have you say AK, he'd take your pot and say it was because you called your hand Ace high, and that's the rule, not a straight. So he'd win with with a pair of 7s or some other bullshit.

Last edited:

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account and join our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Back
Top Bottom