What are my 1000 chips made of, are these worthwhile to keep? Dunes, Sands, Stardust, Grand Caesars (2 Viewers)

dubloon7

Reaction score
I bought this box with chips from Goodwill for my boardgaming collection, the box it came in was broken beyond belief and took me over a week to glue it back together.

The box included roughly 1000 poker chips all bare with the names: Dunes, Sands, Stardust, and Caesars. As pictured (when I first opened the box and discovered the wood was horribly broken b/c of the chips. The cloth wrap that surrounds the poker chip wooden box was tight around the box corners and falling apart.

I have been curious about these chips, and box as I have not been able to locate the similar item online. I figured I would ask all of you professionals about these chips, box, and where and when these are from.

What are these chips made of, are they worth keeping? Are these just cheap knockoffs?

Than you so much!

P.S. Please ignore the trash in the photo as the box was opened up for the first time right after a day of work.

Attachments

• IMG_1412.JPG
    IMG_1412.JPG
    138.6 KB · Views: 390
They are inexpensive injection-molded plastic chips made in China worth around 3c each, so maybe $30 total for the lot of 1,000 chips.

Unlikely you'll find a buyer here.

They are inexpensive injection-molded plastic chips made in China worth around 3c each, so maybe $30 total for the lot of 1,000 chips.

One cannot argue the accuracy of this statement, but if they had been top hat no cane, I would have wanted them. :(

OP: These were sold in souvenir shops (in Vegas, I assume). The "sets" I've seen on eBay were usually 100 chips in a wooden box with a sliding glass looking top. It must have taken quite an effort to amass 1000 of them. You now have a Multi table playable set of ultra light weight solids!

Thank you. Are you saying these cheap chinese clay chips cost $0.03 to manufacture each chip or costs $0.03 each to buy in a store? So basically these are really cheap crap chinese chips i paid more than $30 for but solely for boardgaming it's fine?

Are they worthwhile to keep? That depends.

If you own the chips as trade fodder, they’re probably not worth much.

If you plan to play with them, they might be well worth keeping. One big problem in the modern chip world is the lack of a decent cheap chip. There are no 10g faux clays, or 8.5g vintage diamond chips, nor unicorns, mermaids, or other better quality plastic chips in the modern market. Until you hit 30c/chip, you’re looking at a sea of 11-14g slugged nonsense. I’ve never handled this style of chip, so I don’t know, but...If these vintage plastic chips weigh 9-ish grams, stack nice, and sound somewhere in the ballpark of a clay chip when hitting the pot; and if you aren’t planning to drop hundreds on a higher end Clay/ceramic/BudJones set; you might want to consider keeping these. It looks they can be labeled too.

Quality cheap chips seem all but extinct these days.

The box pictured is probably worth something. I’d pay $30 for the box long before I’d pay $30 for the chips.

If you plan to play with them, they might be well worth keeping. One big problem in the modern chip world is the lack of a decent cheap chip. There are no 10g faux clays, or 8.5g vintage diamond chips, nor unicorns, mermaids, or other better quality plastic chips in the modern market. Until you hit 30c/chip, you’re looking at a sea of 11-14g slugged nonsense. I’ve never handled this style of chip, so I don’t know, but...If these vintage plastic chips weigh 9-ish grams, stack nice, and sound somewhere in the ballpark of a clay chip when hitting the pot; and if you aren’t planning to drop hundreds on a higher end Clay/ceramic/BudJones set; you might want to consider keeping these. It looks they can be labeled too.

Too true. :(

IF these are the same as the Top Hat No Cane chips, as I suspect they are (they were both sold in the same format), they weigh about 6g each. But they feel really good IMO.

How about some better pictures?

I can't make out any details from the fuzzy photo provided.

Are you saying these cheap chinese clay chips cost $0.03 to manufacture each chip or costs $0.03 each to buy in a store?
I'd suspect that the cost to manufacture these is well under 1c per chip in a mass production setting.

A typical Chinese plastic labeledpoker chip that sells from the factory for 10c later sells in retail stores for around 40c (and probably only costs a nickel to manufacture). These chips generally sell for far less than 10c retail, so doing the backwards math....

I like these chips and passively collect them off eBay. Never seen green and the yellow only a couple of times.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account and join our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Back
Top Bottom