What am I missing? (1 Viewer)

frankrizzo

Pair
Reaction score
Community - just out of curiosity I decided to make this post.
I’ve had my wanted ad up to complete my ES set for a few months now. Over the past few months I believe I have gotten one message from another member willing to sell what I was in search for. Now - over the past few days ONLY, I have gotten about 7 messages from members willing to sell what I was in search for.
Is there any particular reason for this? Am I missing something? I completed all my purchasing last night (besides a DB or CC) so this will not effect any deals made with other members.

Chiproom sale on the horizon. Folks are likely selling off in preparation for it.

https://www.pokerchipforum.com/threads/life-is-grand.89232/page-38#post-1843142
Seems like the most likely explanation. But I question how many people would want to sell off what's considered a premium THC set just to buy the next flavor of the month RHC chips. It doesn't make a lot of sense from a collector's perspective. Maybe they're just trying to rase capital to speculate on the Grand chips? I dunno. But the ES chips are what they are, and if you like them, go ahead and buy them while you can. Hopefully you can leverage these offers against one another and get a good price.

I would have said the same thing, except it doesn't make much sense to sell off THC ES chips in order to buy some used RHCs, does it?

Possible, but I do know it is going to cost a lot to pick up the 43mm in quantity.

Possible, but I do know it is going to cost a lot to pick up the 43mm in quantity.
Picking up the 43mm in quantity can't happen during the sale; there will be those percentage limits ... so maybe they are juicing up their bank accounts for the secondary market sale afterward? I dunno ...

Yes. And then people can quickly double their money or more by flipping them. The more I think about it, the more I think this is all about profiteering.
1652625920774.gif

Someone mentioned the crypto crash as a possible reason?
Yes - I kind of leveraged. Everyone was trying to get more than I was offering at first but with the amount of sudden responses, I was able to pay my offering price.
Seems like the most likely explanation. But I question how many people would want to sell off what's considered a premium THC set just to buy the next flavor of the month RHC chips. It doesn't make a lot of sense from a collector's perspective. Maybe they're just trying to rase capital to speculate on the Grand chips? I dunno. But the ES chips are what they are, and if you like them, go ahead and buy them while you can. Hopefully you can leverage these offers against one another and get a good price.

Crypto, RPC hitting the classifieds and the upcoming TCR sale…there is definitely some rotation in peoples collection at the moment. It had been a while since I had last seen the classifieds this busy with really cool racks and sets up for sale. Not a bad thing!

Yes it is very cool. I wasn’t monitoring this forum as much as I was in the past. Now that I scroll through the classifieds I realize I missed some great sales.

Flavor of the month absolutely true... but this one is "Rocky Road" bro... no grown man can resist Rocky Road!!

RHC is the new THC... our group has been saying that for a while now. Want more proof... all those RPC chips have been selling for way less than people originally anticipated.

Sex sells... so do super bright colored poker chips to middle aged balding men! Lmao

The next generation of chippers are here now, unfortunately many of them have never experienced leaded textured shaped inlay THCs... it is taboo to them. I think the secondary HSI $5 ruined a lot of folks... the terms Blaze, Arc and Sloth Claw are driving people insane right now. Lol

If yo chips don't incorporate those 3 things in some way... it's time to dump em! Haha

So most new chippers want RHCs because they've never experienced textured THCs ... Ok, sure... But how does that explain people who know and are still selling their textured THCs from extremely hard to acquire sets like the ES?

So most new chippers want RHCs because they've never experienced textured THCs ... Ok, sure... But how does that explain people who know and are still selling their textured THCs from extremely hard to acquire sets like the ES?
Holy slowdown batman! The Empress Stars do not have textured inlays. They were manufactured around 2017, I think. There haven't been any new textured inlay Paulsons manufactured in something like 20 years. I don't think anybody has a certain date, but it seems like it was shortly after they stopped putting lead in their chips.

Holy slowdown batman! The Empress Stars do not have textured inlays. They were manufactured around 2017, I think. There haven't been any new textured inlay Paulsons manufactured in something like 20 years. I don't think anybody has a certain date, but it seems like it was shortly after they stopped putting lead in their chips.
ROFL... Ok, ok, fine... But ES chips are still rare and possibly have some of the nicest colors out there..

So the way I see it is kind of like this.
  • I have a 2019 Subaru. I love this car. However, Subaru decided to take the turbo engine away for this model.
  • Earlier Subarus, which can do off-roading just as well, also have the turbo engine making them kind of like textured Paulson's
  • Now just because there's going to be a sale of brand new Kia's doesn't mean I'm going to go sell my Subaru. Even if I did wish it had that turbo engine...
Edit: not bashing Kia ... Just picked a car that is shiny with some of their recent model refreshes...

Probably all of the above.

Or people just want to cash out. Seems like a good time. Prices seem pretty high for collectable stuff. Not sure if it's peak but it's gotta be close. People get upset (I used to get po'ed) about 'flipping' but it's just the nature of the hobby at this point.

Or perhaps there's another NAGB that has just arrived.

The funny part is the background justification why folks need to sell. It's like recipe sites where there's several pages of a story of how the recipe author was inspired by their Himalayan hike to create their muffin recipe. Just get to the point please. No one really cares why you're selling, they just want to know what you're selling.

ROFL... Ok, ok, fine... But ES chips are still rare and possibly have some of the nicest colors out there..
Sure... and there are very dark cabinets sitting with "brand new dead mint, never played by me!" Racks and racks and racks of them sitting there waiting for the right buyer to come along....

RARE... seriously rolling on the floor LMAO

Less than 2k of any denom known in existence would be my mark for that qualification.... throw in the fact that if you pull the right strings you could (almost) have the exact same chips made brand new! (Change a couple edge spots, yes the inlay would have to be different but Gear can fix that problem!)

Sorry brother but I will never use the word Rare in association with NAGB chips in anyway!

Literally anyone with deep enough pockets can walk in and post crazy offering prices and have a set of these on their door step by next Friday! Have we not seen this done before? How rare does that make them? There are tiers to this market... that one is at the top. We don't have to like when rich folks stop by and fancy up their poker rooms a bit. Just how it is.

I’ve had my wanted ad up to complete my ES set for a few months now. Over the past few months I believe I have gotten one message from another member willing to sell what I was in search for. Now - over the past few days ONLY, I have gotten about 7 messages from members willing to sell what I was in search for.
Is there any particular reason for this? Am I missing something? I completed all my purchasing last night (besides a DB or CC) so this will not effect any deals made with other members.

Maybe it was just a matter of me (it could have been anyone, btw) responding publicly on your "Wanted" ad and making the sale? Point being, maybe, and just maybe, some people thought those racks were worth more and once someone sold at your offer, they decided to be at that price as well?

Honestly, I have no idea. I certainly have no other theory. The only reason I decided to pull the trigger is that I am shifting some adhoc racks that are pegged to some relabeled sets and I wanted the dry powder to purchase the racks I needed.

Last edited:
Sorry brother but I will never use the word Rare in association with NAGB chips in anyway!
Yes, in that respect rare could simply mean few chips that are in circulation. The NAGB chips are definitely not rare when you consider their quantities, however the fact that people don't generally put them up for sale and when they do they're only small bits and pieces here and there In my mind make them relatively rare because you just don't see them circulating like other chips these days.

It's the same with other chips like Santa Ysabel or even Outpost. Two or three years ago you could find these chips in the classifieds pretty often. And if you put out a request for some you would most likely get an answer. These days? I don't think so. Yes you offer $1,000 for a rack of Outpost $5s and you'll probably get it. But you just don't see them showing up for no reason because people want to trade and sell them.

Yes, in that respect rare could simply mean few chips that are in circulation. The NAGB chips are definitely not rare when you consider their quantities, however the fact that people don't generally put them up for sale and when they do they're only small bits and pieces here and there In my mind make them relatively rare because you just don't see them circulating like other chips these days.

It's the same with other chips like Santa Ysabel or even Outpost. Two or three years ago you could find these chips in the classifieds pretty often. And if you put out a request for some you would most likely get an answer. These days? I don't think so. Yes you offer $1,000 for a rack of Outpost $5s and you'll probably get it. But you just don't see them showing up for no reason because people want to trade and sell them.
Well people are pretty much accepting of the "way it is now" this is a very very different market than 3 years ago when chips moved around... people trying to make the perfect line ups and such. Now it is more of "Hold tight to what you have! Make it work if there is anyway possible because other options are few and far between!"

We have reached a point where many are content with exactly what they have! Sure we all still want to chip... but those that used to pay $1.50 per chip for the good stuff are never going to continue in a market where those chipS are now 4 -20 times that amount. How many times have we heard chipping summit or "Nirvana" from these folks in the past year? Maybe some of you don't attend the meet ups that we do, do not interact with "the Veterans" on a regular basis. The chips Re out there, I promise you they are but Zero chance they are moving.

Those that wanted to cash in (by the way absolutely no different than holdings in the stock market! I have absolutely no issues with it!) Those folks did so in "The Great 2020 Pandemic chipping rush!" Now with the market taking a dive (again to many chipping is another form of investment) people are pulling the plug, licking their wounds and looking to other means to make the money back. Chips are liquid funds are they not? To many it seems like the "Summit" of the chipping market have already been reached! How far down the back slope before you decide to pull the trigger? That choice is left to each individual.

I hear lots of folks talking about throwing "big money at Crypto" if it hits $20... (whatever that means, but I hear about it everyday!)

If a crappy (stock) market turn helps shake a few sets/racks of awesome chips loose... good for us right? Personally happy to see "our" market taking even a tiny step back in the direction of resonable!

If a crappy (stock) market turn helps shake a few sets/racks of awesome chips loose... good for us right? Personally happy to see "our" market taking even a tiny step back in the direction of resonable!
Yeah, your summary of the past couple years is pretty spot-on. When I had first joined I was surprised that how smoothly chips were flowing from one member to another. But I'm glad I bought mine when I did because now it's basically waiting for TCR sales or paying $4+ pet chip.

And yes, people selling off their chips like they would stocks is good for the community in general. I'm certainly not complaining that @frankrizzo suddenly got a lot of responses to his wanted ad. I think it's great!

But that's the reason why, I still don't think it's the upcoming TCR sale. Maybe it's the economy in general... Maybe it's people realizing that they can sell their chips that they bought for $1 for four times as much.

The organism known as PCF mutates often, and is never the same thing one month to another.

Well people are pretty much accepting of the "way it is now" this is a very very different market than 3 years ago when chips moved around... people trying to make the perfect line ups and such. Now it is more of "Hold tight to what you have! Make it work if there is anyway possible because other options are few and far between!"

We have reached a point where many are content with exactly what they have! Sure we all still want to chip... but those that used to pay $1.50 per chip for the good stuff are never going to continue in a market where those chipS are now 4 -20 times that amount. How many times have we heard chipping summit or "Nirvana" from these folks in the past year? Maybe some of you don't attend the meet ups that we do, do not interact with "the Veterans" on a regular basis. The chips Re out there, I promise you they are but Zero chance they are moving.

Those that wanted to cash in (by the way absolutely no different than holdings in the stock market! I have absolutely no issues with it!) Those folks did so in "The Great 2020 Pandemic chipping rush!" Now with the market taking a dive (again to many chipping is another form of investment) people are pulling the plug, licking their wounds and looking to other means to make the money back. Chips are liquid funds are they not? To many it seems like the "Summit" of the chipping market have already been reached! How far down the back slope before you decide to pull the trigger? That choice is left to each individual.

I hear lots of folks talking about throwing "big money at Crypto" if it hits $20... (whatever that means, but I hear about it everyday!)

Well said.
I can’t see putting disposable funds into what’s being produced “chipping” wise currently.
1652635108037.gif

Great response. Very informative to a new chipper like myself but also leaves me with a question - these chips were trading at higher prices when the pandemic first hit than they are right now?

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account and join our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Back
Top Bottom