What about vintage / old school molds & chips ?

Thomacetti

Full House
Supporting Member
Reaction score
After hunting down chips & sets for over a decade, i'm at a point that not many new sets tickle my fancy.
I have all the paulson & BCC sets I could wish for (bar some small add-ons/filling barrels), the sets I would like to add have reached a value beyond what i'm willing to pay.
I love a bargain hunt and it's time for something else.

Many know how much I love my Key West set...a great example of classy vintage chips.
I wanted to get my feet wet building a vintage set and was able to buy some chips that could be a good start.

I always like the Horseshoe club chips, espec the horseshoe mold (TK Specialty Company)...but the prices were more then I'm willing to pay.
So I will try to build a small cash set (4-5 playes) on the cheap, I have time but could use some feedback.

It started when I was able to snatch my first chips up during one of John's vintage roulette sales. @JWC

These are john ascuaga`s nugget hotel sparks roulettes from the 70's
19 green & 9 brown chips
1610051081142.png

With the help of @Marius L , I was able to find a rack of these, what turned out to be real quarters from The Bank Club Las Vegas (one of the earliest legal gaming operations in the state of Nevada). These are chips from the 50's

1610051270731.png

Downside...these need some work :)
Do hope to save about 80 chips

1610051634682.png

To make this set playable...I needed some spotted red chips.
After talking to Chris from Spinetti's for an affordable priced chip (most horseshoe mold chips are double digits)...he came up with these.

1610051875809.png

Chris is still checking the availability, could be a rack :)

All these chips are on route, so have not seen them IRL...but now the dilemma....
Would it be a crime to mill these (maybe shaped inlays) and use a vintage vegas artwork on Gear labels ?

Need 1 more rack of quarters (solid) and then I have a playable set....so please let me know if you spot any.

100 solid white chips ($1)
100 spotted red ($5)
19 spotted green ($25)
9 spotted brown ($100)

Plenty of bank for a 5 player game...so a great start and some long time building & searching ahead.
Maybe not the most vibrant eye candy but plenty of history...and affordable too

And since I got the vibes of the old school molds...scored these too (another project ?)

1610052691897.png

gmunny

Straight
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Nice! I think milling depends on what type of chips so if they are plain but only have denoms then i say mill away. As far as Bank Club, then i would probably say no to milling, but hey you own them so up to you.

I do have a few Cali sets on older molds like diamond square and circle square. Those I wouldn't mill.

Thomacetti

Full House
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Hopefully these $5's aren't slated for any violence as they are from one of the more historical illegal clubs from Hot Springs, AR. :unsure:

If so, I'm going to turn my head, look away and try not to cry.
I'll make it quick..they will not suffer
No man, not sure if i'm going to mill or murder any...the history on all of these is great.

Thanks for the insight :tup:

wolfpack

Flush
Reaction score
Nope go aheD and mill away and make a set of chips that will be unique! Your not the only one with the idea, I have purchased 600 old school L mold chips and this spring plan to mill them and get gear labels

gmunny

Straight
Supporting Member
Reaction score

Thomacetti

Full House
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Okay. They were offered to me but no idea what I'd use them for or what they're worth
30 to 50 per racks sounds reasonable to me Brie...but always hard to tell with older chips.
Depends on how much you like or need them...

I got the Bank Club chips & those from John very cheap...but paid 3 each for the rack of redbirds.
Difference is that there are plenty of HHL sets out there but very limited options in horshu mold chips.

Only other spotted red chips I could find were 30 a pop

FordPickup92

Royal Flush
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I dont like them or need them at all lol they were offered to me and I think I'm just going to pass. Thanks for the input!

Top Bottom