What About a Workbook? (1 Viewer)

MoscowRadio

Flush
Reaction score
There are a lot of books out there that focus on the importance of stack-to-pot ratios, pot-odds, etc., but what about a legitimate math book (think jr. high/high school days) where you are given the information and then fill out any parts of the equation that you are asked to? For example:

You are playing a $1/$2 NL cash game. You have $400 and your opponent who has $140 raises from MP to $6. You call on the button and both blinds fold.
What are the effective stacks?_________
What is your SPR?_________

Of course this is just a short example with little information, but would then build up to adding hands into the mix, pot-odds, player information, etc. Like most math books, the answers would be in the back of the book.

I think this could be a fun/interesting concept.

Cool idea. Like a more interactive version of Harrington on Hold'Em, Volume 3.

Unfortunately I've never read any of the Harrington on Hold'Em books. I remember reading Phil Gordon's Little Blue Book, and that contained situational plays and some information like this, but again, it wasn't as interactive.

Harrington's workbook is presented in multiple-choice format with explanations as to why each choice is "correct," probably motivated by the potential subjectivity of what it means to play correctly.

I don't have the poker knowledge/experience to assess the best way to present this type of subject matter, but I find the idea fascinating. Maybe one of our resident super genius types will weigh in with some good analysis or insight on it. I would imagine the large number of variables driving the decision-making process might make it read like a Choose Your Own Adventure book.

Harrington's workbook is presented in multiple-choice format with explanations as to why each choice is "correct," probably motivated by the potential subjectivity of what it means to play correctly.

I don't have the poker knowledge/experience to assess the best way to present this type of subject matter, but I find the idea fascinating. Maybe one of our resident super genius types will weigh in with some good analysis or insight on it. I would imagine the large number of variables driving the decision-making process might make it read like a Choose Your Own Adventure book.

This is kind of what I was thinking. The idea for the first section would be to really drive the idea of pot odds and SPRs home, as well as effective stacks. Then as the book went along it would get more complex.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account and join our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Back
Top Bottom