We're Gonna Need a Bigger Boat (1 Viewer)

jdub

Pair
Reaction score
I did some calculations on the size of a chip set. I arrived at the canonical 500 chips for a simple cash game for 10 people. Stakes don't really matter here, since you pretty much end up using 2 to 3 denoms with the middle denom being the "workhorse" as you guys sometime put it.

After poking around for a bit I am sold on the 4X/5X increment between denominations. That works great from $.05 all the way to $500 which provides for 7 denominations. That is likely more than I need. (Although, some chips that I don't require, I want anyway. This yellow Dunes $1000 just brightens my day. This pink "The Mint" chip too.)

When you start trying to accommodate a variety of stakes and possible re-buys, the chip set gets pretty big pretty fast. If I attempt to acquire chips to run nickel/dime 200BB through $.50/$1 100BB for 10 people with a 50% likelihood of one re-buy, I start arriving at about 1300 chips per table. Is this in the right ball park for a flexible multi-stakes, multi-depth chip set? (I've been reading some threads. Not asking about a dissertation from PCF. Just a ball park.)

Even at a cheap $.25 per chip, that's a pretty good chunk of change. So far, my samples exercise is putting me at $.50 per chip. Oof da! Not ready to drop $650 just yet.

This is with somewhat conservative assumptions that I will play all possible starting stacks, hit max re-buys every night, and max players every night. When you configure your chip sets, do you apply probabilities to no-shows and re-buys to establish your chip quantities?

Then what if you fall short? Is it a sin to use dice chips in reserve if you run low on good chips? Allow people to keep some cash behind?

I am guessing it's probably a better approach to not try to acquire the "perfect" chip set on the first try. That way I can have fun acquiring additional sets that are more attuned to a specific game parameters later.

.50 is going to be on the low side. 650 is a good start, but might be a challenge to get it right.

Rather than set a chip count that won't quite cover what you want to do, figure out how many people you want to be able to cover and the amount of bank you plan to have on the table.

Here is a thread about chip count, and here is another one.

You really shouldn't worry about the chip count, I run a .25/.50 game, with 9 players max. I get by with 520 chips most of the time, but I would never advocate only buying 500 chips. My game plays small for .25 / .50 and I advocate buy ins of 20, most of the players are newer and we focus fun. Please don't take this as affirmation on a chip count, it really depends and weights in on the amount of bank you need to support.

I never put in more than 60 fracs, 200 1s, 200 5s, and 60 20s, but I have enough to put in 400 1s and 500 5s, 300 25s and 300 100s ... (and thats just one set =))

I run the game very lean, cash on the table or just buy a few high denom chips such as 100s or 20s jic, if you run short then you know what you need to buy

For multi-stakes 1000 chips would do well with enough bank to cover very deep games

150x 5c
200x 25c
200x $1
200x $5
100x $20/$25
100x $100
50x $500

Sweet. That's why I ask. I was certain to have missed something. I need to look into "bank".

Sounds like two votes saying I am planning for excess chips at 1300. I was looking at keeping down to three denoms. Keeping a small number of chips in the rack at the fourth denom will cut my total chip count by a lot and give me some headroom.

nickel/dime 200BB through $.50/$1 100BB for 10 people with a 50% likelihood of one re-buy

5c x 100
25c x 200
$1 x 200
$5 x 200
$25 x 60
$100 x 40

800 chip set enough to cover 5c/10c to $1/$1 with $6700 bank roll so that 33 buyin of $200, more than 3 per person for a Full Ring table

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account and join our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Back
Top Bottom