Weirdest Hand I've Played in a While - Choose Your Own Adventure (1 Viewer)

MrCatPants

Full House
Reaction score
So the situation is it's around the 12th hand of a single table tournament - just hit level 2. Blinds are 10/20 and players started with 3000 chips.

Hero is in middle position with :qc::qd:. UTG raises to 3x the BB, and is generally a little aggressive - if he's in a pot, he's generally opening with a raise.

A few folds to me. What action would you take as hero?

I can’t see any reason not to three bet here. I’d be making it something like 150-180, depending on what chips I have in front of me.

So the situation is it's around the 12th hand of a single table tournament - just hit level 2. Blinds are 10/20 and players started with 3000 chips.

Hero is in middle position with :qc::qd:. UTG raises to 3x the BB, and is generally a little aggressive - if he's in a pot, he's generally opening with a raise.

A few folds to me. What action would you take as hero?

I figured this would be solid agreement - and hero did 3-bet, but to 200.

Folds to the button. Button calls the 200. SB and BB fold. UTG all-in.

Two questions. What do you have as range for UTG and button? And what's your action?

The button could have a broad range here - anything from suited connectors on up.

Assuming UTG has something close to a starting stack, he is a numbnuts and he can have my chips. I can’t imagine what his range is - in my mind, unless there’s re-entry/rebuy allowed, he’s an idiot if he doesn’t have aces and he’s an idiot if he has them.

If I have the numbers right. Pot is 30 then UTG bets 60 to make it a total of 90. You three bet 200 so the pot is now 290. The button is calling for basically 2/3 of the pot and OOP for both the original raiser and hero.

So I believe the button has at at least a large pair (10s or better) or AK, and perhaps AQ suited. So the pot is now 490 and UTG goes all in. Now its hard to continue without knowing how many chips the all in is for. But even if UTG is aggressive his shove looks pretty strong to me.

I am probably folding without knowing just how much that UTG all in is for and the stack size for the button.

I don't think he has aces, on overbet like that usually means he doesn't want a call. I'd range him on mostly KK, AK, or JJ, with a few smatterings of TT, AQ, and other random hands. I would call, unless I feel like I have a clear advantage over the rest of the table. Especially call if it's a rebuy tourney.

Sorry, forgot buttons range. Most likely medium pairs, and aces with decent kickers (AJ, AT, maybe AQ) all of which are good for you as the block AK's outs. On occasion an extremely passive player might be calling with AA or KK, but barring any extensive history with the button, I think you have to call here.

I have run into quite a number of people who make this move with jacks just because they do not like playing them OOP. It’s weird and illogical but I have seen it many times.

1) Blinds are 10/20 and players started with 3000 chips.
2) Hero is in middle position with :qc::qd:.
3) UTG raises to 3x the BB
4) A few folds to me. What action would you take as hero?

Given his aggression, I'd say that's an automatic 3-bet. He raised to 60. I'd make it 180-200 to go. If he calls he likely has a high pair or an over. If he 4-bets.... well, hopefully it's not KK or AA.

5) and hero did 3-bet, but to 200.
6) Folds to the button. Button calls the 200. SB and BB fold. UTG all-in.

Two questions. What do you have as range for UTG and button? And what's your action?

Ugh. He seems donkish. I'd take the risk and call. All-in this early seems like a pure act of theft in the making.

This is never a bluff, but as mentioned above is often a middling pair (88 -JJ) or some other good hand that villain doesnt want to have to make any tough decisions with.

If you care a lot about going far in this tournament, be conservative and fold. Otherwise, call.

What's our read on the button player, anything?

Also, what are stack sizes? I assume everyone is pretty much close to starting stack given this is only 12th hand?

Is rebuy available?

I think this spot is pretty player dependent.

If you care a lot about going far in this tournament, be conservative and fold. Otherwise, call.
This is the crux of the situation for me. In most games I play here this is a call for me. If I’m playing a big event with a substantial out lay it is a fold.

Let me add one more point here. Button is a new player, and a bit of a conservative/nit.

Hmm, this is a lot of blinds to invest with a chance BTN is a passive nit and best case we are against AK or AQ from both players. I think KK QQ and AK make up the majority of UTG reship range, maybe AQs and some combos of JJ. If we think button has all pairs in his range and we want to race we can shove.

I gave BTN a fairly wide 3b flatting range. A new player might be tighter which would decrease your equity. I also gave UTG what I would consider a fairly loose 4bet rip range. I don't think most players would be 4bet shoving TT, JJ or probably even AQs.

It's fairly close with these ranges and only likely to get worse. I think we find a fold. Unless this is a rebuy tourney.

PokerCruncher-Advanced-Android V.11.1.1

(Equity, Win, Tie)
Player 1: 41.0% 40.0% 2.20% [QcQd]
Player 2: 36.4% 34.8% 3.23% {TT+, AQs+, AKo}
Player 3: 22.6% 21.4% 2.53% {66+, ATs+, KJs+, QJs, AJo+, KQo}

Board: [? ? ? ? ?]
Deal To: River
Dead Cards: {}

Monte Carlo Simulation: 72000 trials

Notes:

So, looking at the action still to come behind him, hero (after long thought) lays down his Queens. Button calls.

UTG flips AA
Button flips KK
Hero breathes relief, shows his QQ just for dramatic effect.

Third K comes on the turn, and the set of Ks holds up to take the pot.

UTG waits for traffic to die down and then goes home.

So, looking at the action still to come behind him, hero (after long thought) lays down his Queens. Button calls.

UTG flips AA
Button flips KK
Hero breathes relief, shows his QQ just for dramatic effect.

Third K comes on the turn, and the set of Ks holds up to take the pot.

UTG waits for traffic to die down and then goes home.

Nice fold. In actuality given bet sizing from UTG and the passive/nitiness of BTN I think both ranges are tighter than I initially calculated, and your equity starts to drop pretty rapidly.

UTG waits for traffic to die down and then goes hom
You should have forced him out into the traffic, so he could learn his lesson harder.
I’ve seen a lot of crazy things in tournaments, but I’ve definitely never seen anybody win one in the first level.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account and join our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Back
Top Bottom