Weird Ethical Spot in Mixed Game (2 Viewers)

I've had this happen almost exactly the same way you described, @Jimulacrum, albeit it was in a live game. When it became apparent around 5th or 6th st by his board and betting patterns that he wasn't aware the game had shifted to Razz, I simply said 'You do know how Razz is played, right?' This was met with the predictable... '... uhhh the game is Razz?!?!' response the resulted in an immediate muck after the rest of the table confirmed it.

I raked my pot and we moved on.

As to ethics, you would have been within your rights to take advantage of the situation but there's merit in keeping the game friendly and saving a guy from going to the felt when he has absolutely no chance to win. That said, in my situation it was only appropriate to speak up since I was actively in the hand. There's an implied responsibility that if you're gambling, you understand the rules of the game you're playing.

I've had this happen almost exactly the same way you described, @Jimulacrum, albeit it was in a live game. When it became apparent around 5th or 6th st by his board and betting patterns that he wasn't aware the game had shifted to Razz, I simply said 'You do know how Razz is played, right?' This was met with the predictable... '... uhhh the game is Razz?!?!' response the resulted in an immediate muck after the rest of the table confirmed it.

I raked my pot and we moved on.

As to ethics, you would have been within your rights to take advantage of the situation but there's merit in keeping the game friendly and saving a guy from going to the felt when he has absolutely no chance to win. That said, in my situation it was only appropriate to speak up since I was actively in the hand. There's an implied responsibility that if you're gambling, you understand the rules of the game you're playing.

Sounds like a perfectly fine response. Seems like there's just a lot of gray area in this spot, and it really depends on the particulars of the situation and what your motives are.

Haven't you guys figured this shit out yet?

Evidently it's decent conversation fodder.

Sounds like a perfectly fine response. Seems like there's just a lot of gray area in this spot, and it really depends on the particulars of the situation and what your motives are.

Evidently it's decent conversation fodder.
Lol. True enough. I read the first page day one and was like "what in tarnation" this is still going strong... Making content!

This hand happened at a meet-up: Game had shifted from PLO8 to PLO a couple of hands prior. I find myself heads-up with the Villain on the River. Large pot. Villain pots all-in. I had a good hand, can't remember which, not the nuts but ahead of some value bets. I tanked for quite a while as this Villain would probably never be bluffing on that spot. I make the call. Villain says Nut Low plus pair of Aces, or something close to that. The game wasn't PLO8 though. Villain was confused. I had the best high hand and took the pot. Didn't give a chip back.
I thought this might have been me except it was SQM this year. I can't remember the specifics of the hand, other than that I was really tired, I missed the game change, and I lost a decent sized pot because of it.

I was pretty pissed, but only at myself for not paying attention. I wouldn't have given anything back if I'd won, and I certainly didn't expect anything back for losing.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account and join our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Back
Top Bottom