Weak Pair and Flush Draw On The Turn - Opinions Please! (1 Viewer)

moojersey

Flush
Reaction score
Ok so I am not going to do a play by play on this one. I just want everyone's opinion on what I should do on the turn in this hand. Got myself into a big pot multi - way that started out very small. One reason I love this game so much is that a small pot can explode at a moments notice...wreaking chaos at the table.

Context: All of the players, save maybe 1 or 2 that replaced the "bust outs" sat down together forming a new table early in the day (11am-12pm). I've been playing with them for about 3 hours ... so I have some general reads. Nothing too out of line for the most part. There is 1 hyper aggressive LAG-zilla (who is doing extremely well (sat with $300 up to $1,500'ish). I have made a point to stay out of his way because I suspect he plays cards for a living ... also from what he has had to show down he seems to be running very good.

The Line Up:

Hero: Hero is a 35 year old male. I probably look more like 25, or so I'm told. I actually get carded in bars at times. I consider myself a 'tighter' solid'ish player, but we all have tendencies and leaks ;). I do pretty good in my day job and really don't have financial concerns. Losing $500 in a session will irritate me, but it's not scared money. It will only bother me because I want to win so bad. I am super competitive and at times will 'go to war' with players who are getting the better of me. I know it's not a good thing.

As a side note: I am trying to grind to $10,000 as I really want to enter the WSOP Main Event in the next few years. I can afford to just do it if I wanted to, but I really want to do it with money I win from the game. I want it to be something that I accomplish. Sitting in the 9 seat today as a bonus (my favorite seat at the table). In the current game for $500, playing about $275 in front of me, so I'm stuck for about $225 on the day.

Villain 1: Older guy with southern'ish accent. Retired Air Force veteran. I'm going to say between 60 - 65. Based on his constant chatter and interactions with other players I have deduced he is a regular here. He was on a heater when we first sat down going up $400 in the first hour or so. He was a bit of a bragger when he was doing good (about how great a card player he is). That attitude quickly changed in the past hour or so of this session. He has been taking some serious beatings getting himself into bad situations with the worst of it. He is now stuck $400-500 and will not shut up about it. He is tilting me because he just will not shut the hell up! I am almost considering getting up and leaving because of him. Every hand is 'You like my chips down there? You have to give me a chance to get my chips back! Oh man I guess this is just gonna be a $600 dollar day ... I can't believe how fast I lost all of those chips. Those are my chips! ... etc etc etc.' So basically he has now gone on mega tilt the past half hour. Raising a lot of weak hands (ace rag to ten rag) he shouldn't, in bad position, and paying for it (when he is dominated at show down). I am secretly hoping he busts out soon (hopefully I'm the next person to stack him lol). He is in complete fish mode right now. He is in the 8 seat and currently the scorn of my existence. I am giving short smiles when he tries to engage me in conversation ... trying to ignore him for the most part. He has something like $175 - 200 on the table when we start the hand.

Villain 2: 35 - 40 year old guy. He is a replacement for one of our few "bust outs". Joined us in the past half hour and immediately has gone on a gross heater. Raising trash to $14 pre-flop ... and proceeding to smash the flop in the ugliest ways I have ever seen. He is playing LAG. He has been torturing Villain 1 for the past 20 - 30 minutes. He has stacked Villain 1 at least 2 times (possibly 3). Sitting in the 4 seat drinking a lot of beer, and having a great time. I'm going to ball park he is playing $800, most of which used to belong to Villain 1.

Ok so there is the scene as best I remember it. Now onto the action...

Button was on the 5 seat.

Villain 1 (Tilty Old Man) UTG: limps for $2

Hero (UTG +1): :3h: :4h:, I limp for $2 (with the intention of calling a normal sized raise $8 - $12 if we pick up a few folks)

Villain 2 (CO): limps for $2

Dealer folds, all others have folded, SB calls, BB checks

Pot = $9 after rake

Flop: :ad: :9h: :7h:

Villain 1 checks.

Hero bets $10 hoping to build a pot and 'get there'. These are the 'plans' I make at the poker table haha. ;)

Villain 2 comes over the top and bets $35

SB folds / BB folds

Villain 1 calls $35

Hero (in true donk fashion) calls $35 .... feel free to comment about my call here too

Pot = $110 (all rake taken $5 max)

Turn: :3c:

Board: :ad: :9h: :7h: :3c:

Villain 1 checks

Hero checks

Villain 2 bets $60

Villain 1 calls $60

Hero?!?

So basically in this spot I have to call $60 to possibly win $230 getting almost 4 to 1 on the call ( I think that is right.)

Things that I consider:

1. I am pretty sure I have the worst of it right now ... I don't think a pair of 3's is good at the moment.

2. I am currently in the hand for only $37 with plenty behind to keep playing effectively ($240'ish behind).

3. I am putting one of these cats on at least 2 pair. Plenty of Ace rag combos out there. Small possibly one of them has made a real hand like a set of 9's or 7's.

4. Upon further consideration maybe one of these villains has a naked Ace. Maybe as strong as A8 or AJ. Would these guys ever limp :ah: :jh:? Who knows...maybe I am imagining worst case scenarios... :th: :8h: would be sickening...

5. Villain 1 can be completely air balling and just continuing his downward spiral with :tc: :6d: and hoping to bink his gutter ball.

6. I am in the hand with 1 maniac and 1 emotionally distressed poker player.

7. Flush over flush is very rare but is something like :ah: :6h: that far fetched for one of these guys to hold? If a heart comes I'm going to stack off most or all of my chips. Has definitely happened to me before in much sicker spots. (K flush losing to A flush). Alternatively, I doubt I am getting paid off on the river if the heart comes and the flush is good.

8. If another 3 comes and an opponent has a set, I will 100% have to stack off to them.

So what do you guys think about the action so far?

Last edited:
Missing data - - Hero's table image matters. I'm guessing Hero looks weak, a soft spot at the table to be exploited.

Preflop - fold. Bad position is a dagger in the heart for this sort of hand. The table is aggressive enough that hero needs to expect a raise and with his $275 stack that is going to inflate the pot enough to create a low SPR suitable for one pair hand, not the high SPR needed for speculative hands. This hand is suitable for Button play, maybe a little earlier, but the goal is to play it cheaply.

Flop - I like the bet. Hero is representing an ace and later in the hand Hero will able to spring a trap. Rarely Hero takes down the pot, but mostly a bet obscures Hero's hand. Check/calling is ok too.

Flop - yes, call the raise. Hero looks like he holds a weakfish ace as the dominant part of his range.

Turn - yes check. Hero has almost no fold equity here, though the value of Hero's hand jumped a lot.

Turn - Call the bet. Noting that Hero is facing a RIO risk - I would be less inclined to call with deeper stacks or if V1 had a lot fewer chips. Don't raise. Hero has no fold equity and likely is not best.

Hero is right to fear an ace high flush draw. But we aren't talking about old man, coffee being aggressive. We have a skilled LAG trying to isolate a tilting fish who's range is quite wide. Neither villain has to have a great hand or even a good hand. Hero is embracing variance here. This hand could go terribly wrong or give Hero a $800 stack.

Hero's suffering here has a lot to do with playing a speculative hand out of position, something that will be even more evident if hero improves on the river. Best river card - a three.

DrStrange

My image at this table is mostly TAG. Not playing a whole lot of hands. I probably had not played a hand for almost an hour coming into this hand. I have been really card dead patiently waiting to pick a good spot. Normally I would fold this hand pre flop in bad position - but admittedly I am bored of folding. So yes my poor pre-flop decision is now escalating lol.

OK - V2 hasn't seen hero play a hand the entire time he is at the table. Hero's image looks less like TAG and more like rock garden or scared money, though villain likely doesn't have much of any opinion of Hero.

Agree that you probably wont get both to fold with a shove. Call the turn. Jam 2 pair or better on river.

Conclusion:

Hero decides to fold the turn. Don't really love the spot given the whole situation. Started the thread because I think it's too tight a fold and pretty sure you guys agree. Lesson learned.

Of course the heart falls on the river lol. Both villains have two pair.

Villain 2: A9o

Villain 1: A7o

Ok, so you go into a hand wanting to win with a weak flush and then the opportunity comes and you don't call with proper odds? The hand is either a fold pre flop or a call on the turn. You got what you wanted and basically the best possible chance with your hand but you didn't call?

If you are scared of the nut flush don't play 2 3 suited. Call and if the flush hits bet. If you get raised fold.

Ok, so you go into a hand wanting to win with a weak flush and then the opportunity comes and you don't call with proper odds? The hand is either a fold pre flop or a call on the turn. You got what you wanted and basically the best possible chance with your hand but you didn't call?

Yup misplayed the hand. Got cold feet multi way with action. Cracked a little under pressure I guess. Looking back I know I should call in this spot.

I def rushed to make a decision live and miscalculated the pot odds too. Def getting a great price to call. Oh well.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account and join our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Back
Top Bottom