Ways to handle cash in your home game (1 Viewer)

After reading this thread, just picked up this for cash. Thought itd be good because it locks. But this fails the organization requirement. Doh.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/aw/d/B00OQS4FKS

And also got a birdcage for chips, will pad lock handle. Having everything transparent and in view of the game seems like a good idea.

Last edited:
How big are people's pockets? There's no way I can fit all the money from my cash game into my pocket. I'd be sitting friggin' lopsided all night.

works perfectly

I was playing in a home game and an arriving player bought in for about $87, about $52 of it $1's and the balance in $5's.
I asked if that was from his paper route. He said he throws his $1's and $5's in a jar at night and then uses it for his buy-ins.
The host made sure that when the player cashed out he got his $1's back. :tup:

At my games chips and money goes on different boxes, and on a recent game I managed the chips and a friend the money.
It find it very effective and clear, I think i will do that more often

varo-152mm-money-box-P-3178967-7023004_1.jpg

Tournaments: Cardboard box. If you came into my house, the cash box for a low dollar tournament is one of the cheaper things you could steal. I sort all monies at the start of the tournament so cashout goes smoothly. If I need a rebuy (quite frequently) Mrs Zombie pays pulls the rebuy out of her pocket to buy me back in, so everyone can see the obvious movement of money (plus it is recorded on the payout screen).

The only hiccup that I've had with this system is when we've had tournaments and cash running simultaneously. Then I'll just use envelopes for the tournament.
In this case, I do shirt pocket for the game I'm in, right pocket for the other game, left pocket for my cash.

Otherwise, my cash lives in my left pocket (with my multitool, reminding me that everything in that pocket is mine), and the game cash lives in my shirt pocket until the wad gets so big that I have to move it to my right pocket.

For the record, I'm not really a t-shirt or polo kind of guy, so I pretty much always have a breast pocket.
giphy.gif

In this case, I do shirt pocket for the game I'm in, right pocket for the other game, left pocket for my cash.

Otherwise, my cash lives in my left pocket (with my multitool, reminding me that everything in that pocket is mine), and the game cash lives in my shirt pocket until the wad gets so big that I have to move it to my right pocket.

For the record, I'm not really a t-shirt or polo kind of guy, so I pretty much always have a breast pocket.
View attachment 268757

The only shirts of mine that have pockets are those on my hoodies and that's not going to work. T-shirts FTW.

Zippered pouch with binder clips for tournaments. I like to get that straight from the beginning. Cash game buys ins go in the slot in the table. it's big mess of a pile at the end of the night but that's never been a problem.

Now, LCR , which is the most fun you can have on a poker table with chips and dice, but not dice chips....That money just rides in the middle of the table in pile. Is anyone else here as big a fan of LCR as I am? I can turn non-gamblers into complete degenerates with a 10 person game of LCR.

Bank bag.
Last Tuesday night after cashing everyone out I realized I was $300 short! Holy crap! How could this happen?

After cleaning up and getting ready to leave it dawned on me what had happened. Everyone arrived at the game about the same time. In my haste to get the game started, I forgot to put my own $300 buy-in in the bank bag, which I confirmed by counting my bankroll. Problem solved but it was unnerving for a few minutes.

I have a spare smartphone sitting in some drawer currently that I could configure to be fully encrypted, then slap a simple budgeting app on it to track the bank's money/chips movements. Making it a rule for myself that whenever I take in money before handing out the chips, or when taking chips before handing out the money, I'd enter the transaction on the phone. Good traceability as you could add in the notes which person the transaction was associated with, and secure if phone is encrypted with a proper password and not just a 4 digit PIN.

I keep a cash box with change available for my game, and I change out all chips as required. I keep the chips next to wherever I sit and do not allow anyone to have access to chips that are not on the table. I got burned once by what I believe to be an honest mistake where the guy gave out the wrong denomination of chips and I was not paying attention. Only ended up costing me $30 bucks, it was enough to teach me a lesson.

Any secure receptacle will work. I use an old cardboard tube that resembles a can that tennis balls come in. It came with some fancy beer I got for Christmas I think.

In terms of what is optimum I think a bulldog clip would work well.

bulldog.jpg

I use this as a personal money clip and it works great.

I use the standard bank money pouch with zipper. Each labeled, Tournament, Cash, and Change (where I keep $100 in 1s,5s,10s). I think Office Depot sold them as a 3 pack. During the games, I keep them in the drawer with the chips.

For the tournament, I round up/down to the nearest 10 for each placing. For cash, I would like to round down to the nearest 5, but not everyone thinks tipping the host is customary (even though they should since I provide food in addition to all the required hardware), so I go ahead and pay to the $1.

Now one time, this happened. We were playing .25/.50 blinds, this guy was in for 50, out for 182.50. I paid him $182, and he said "and 50 cents". I looked at him with a scowl, and said "really? you want me to go dig through my house for 50 cents?". He replied with something to the effect of no, never mind, and he took his 182 and left. It wasn't like he was a newbie and got lucky. He is an experienced and good player.

Now one time, this happened. We were playing .25/.50 blinds, this guy was in for 50, out for 182.50. I paid him $182, and he said "and 50 cents". I looked at him with a scowl, and said "really? you want me to go dig through my house for 50 cents?". He replied with something to the effect of no, never mind, and he took his 182 and left. It wasn't like he was a newbie and got lucky. He is an experienced and good player.
I know this is an "accepted" practice, but if you did not announce the round-down at buy-in, you were in the wrong. If you announce it, it becomes a known rake. If you surprise them at the end of the night, it's a mystery rake. Nobody should be bothered, but dotting your "i"s and crossing your "t"s is the difference between a good and a great game.

You wouldn't allow him a free pass on posting a Big Blind, so why shouldn't he expect to get it back?

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account and join our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Back
Top Bottom