Watered Paulson inlays? (1 Viewer)

greenchip

Full House
Supporter
Reaction score
When I was cleaning my GN chips today with water and dishwashing soap, I realized that water went thru the inlay. I attached a picture of the inlay after drying the chip by leaving it standing on the edge for a few hours. This happened to me a few times and did not have issues as I always made sure that the inlays are dried up. Generally, the traces of water disappear within 12 hours.

Is it problematic if water goes inside the inlay? I'm a bit concerned, especially about what will happen in the far future after cleaning, or if I did not wait until the inlays dry up.

Also, please feel free to share something I have to know or even your horror stories when washing chips.

image_67222017.JPG

It can happwn

It’s worse on old shaped inlay chips

The years of dirt and oil builds up and if water gets under they are usually discolored forever

Just press them back in after dry??

Or they are screaming to be murdered LOL
Thanks for the advice. Oh no! I have a lot of scallop inlay GN 5's and 25's, and something like this is what you're mentioning? I attached my chip with the worst discoloration. I dried for a day standing on the edge, then pressed back, and here is the result. It's been a few weeks and see this is permanent.

How can I remove the dirt and oil before applying water to clean them? I want to avoid this happening if I pick up more GN chips.

image_67187457 (1).JPG

@HaRDHouSeiNC is absolutely correct, much easier on shaped inlays and horrible on many TRK scrowns! Sometimes the water runs under them instantly! Always test with a couple of chips, never put a full barrel in if you are unsure of the inlay seal.

Yes typically they will dry out in a few hours but again like Eric said if there is any dirt in the seem (often microscopic or can't be seen) the dirt will run under there with the water, water will dry but dirt will remain. It sucks!

Also when you oil these questionable chips make sure you are very careful oiling! Oil will run under there even quicker than water, either barrel oil or carefully only oil to the middle of the clay from the outer edge to the center of the clay! Stay atleast 1/8" away from the edge of the inlays and make sure your rag is Very dry!

When we know we have chips that the seal is not good we do not soak, we carefully hand wash each chip one at a time. Definitely takes much longer as the chips can't soak but this is what we have to do.

Good Luck with the Nuggets

Thanks for the advice @Ben8257! I'm glad I followed some methods you mentioned. I tested out a few chips out of a barrel, and they were fine. I washed with dishwashing soap individually (a few min water exposure at maximum, then immediately pressed the inlay to dry with a paper towel), never ever soaking. After that, a day of standing on the edge to dry and ensure both sides are dried up. @HaRDHouSeiNC right, the water crept in within a minute for some chips!

The result is the above... I often see people spill drinks at the Nugget and also the chips were dirty, then the drink goes in repeat. After that, I washed and all the debris sneaked in... What would you do if you have very dirty chips and have to clean them?

The same thing. We have cleaned chips that haven't been touched in 50 years. It will come off, it might take a whole 1/8 magic eraser... but they will clean, really it is all about the nail brush before the Magic Eraser to get the big stuff broken down.

This is because you all keep getting these cheap-ass chips! I've never had this issue with my dice chips.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account and join our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Back
Top Bottom