Washing China clay (1 Viewer)

Squakmix

3 of a Kind
Reaction score
I recently pulled the trigger on a set of 500 Milanos after having just owned basic plastic dice chips for years, and I'm impressed. I was pleasantly surprised with the look and feel of them even though I'd had a sample set before purchasing them, and the first thing I did was sit down and wash them with some water mixed with a small amount of mineral oil. I've read some debates on whether China clay needs oiling or not, so I did an A/B test with some plain water VS water with oil, and found that the chips without oil became ashy again quickly after drying so I used oiled water on the whole batch. The difference between before and after washing was staggering. The colors look twice as saturated as before, and the black chips are significantly darker. Some people say that they don't bother fully wiping down the faces of their China clay chips and prefer to just do the edges, but I think it's well worth it, and submerging them fully for a few seconds didn't seem to affect the stickers at all. Anyone have issues fully submerging Milanos or Majestics?

Attachments

• PXL_20210608_233457013.jpg
    PXL_20210608_233457013.jpg
    148.1 KB · Views: 412
No problem at all! Did 500 Majestics and I didn’t have one casualty. Wash and oil away ;)

Do the Milanos have that annoying smell? If so did you notice a difference in the smell being reduced after washing and then after oiling? I am thinking of getting some Majestics but that smell is keeping me on the fence.

Do the Milanos have that annoying smell? If so did you notice a difference in the smell being reduced after washing and then after oiling? I am thinking of getting some Majestics but that smell is keeping me on the fence.
Unfortunately I didn't notice a noticeable reduction in smell from washing them. I even tried to Febreeze a couple and that just lead to a situation where they smelled like perfume and the synthetic smell that they usually had. The smell is significantly worse when you have a full set of chips together rather than just a few chips, and ultimately it was a major reason why I returned my Milanos.

They look heaps better with a bit of oil!
I'm building a small custom HU set with Milanos and could do with giving them this treatment.
So you know what the mixture was off Oil Vs water? Thanks

I followed this guide from Apache poker: https://www.apachepokerchips.com/blog/mineral-oil-poker-chips/ and I started with a ratio that was close to the suggested 1 tablespoon of mineral oil to 1 gallon of water. I believe that I actually diluted it a bit more than this because the chips felt a bit too oily initially and I found myself wanting to thoroughly wipe down each chip that came out of the pot to get rid of the oily feel. Adding a bit more water fixed this (although I still ended up spreading them out on paper towels and wiping the face of each chip down). Good luck, I hope this helps!

I followed this guide from Apache poker: https://www.apachepokerchips.com/blog/mineral-oil-poker-chips/ and I started with a ratio that was close to the suggested 1 tablespoon of mineral oil to 1 gallon of water. I believe that I actually diluted it a bit more than this because the chips felt a bit too oily initially and I found myself wanting to thoroughly wipe down each chip that came out of the pot to get rid of the oily feel. Adding a bit more water fixed this (although I still ended up spreading them out on paper towels and wiping the face of each chip down). Good luck, I hope this helps!
Thank you, sir. Much appreciated :cool

No problem at all! Did 500 Majestics and I didn’t have one casualty. Wash and oil away ;)
I just got some milanos and they are dusty/chalky af. So how do I clean them before oiling them? Submerge with Dawn soap water or just water? Submerge how many at one time? And for how long?
CC: @allforcharity

Thanks fellas

As many as you have energy for.

I recently cleaned and oiled a batch of over 1300 Paulsons, took most of a day. I invested in an ultrasonic years ago.
I don't have an ultrasonic machine yet, just using a bucket lol I'm just doing 100 (submerging in dawn soap water) at a time. Can I do more?

Btw, when I was talking about the ultrasonic, I didn't mean that you need to use one. In fact, I only recommend an ultrasonic cleaner for people who potentially need to clean many hundreds or thousands of chips on a semi-regular basis. Doesn't really apply to most persons here.

Btw, when I was talking about the ultrasonic, I didn't mean that you need to use one. In fact, I only recommend an ultrasonic cleaner for people who potentially need to clean many hundreds or thousands of chips on a semi-regular basis. Doesn't really apply to most persons here.
Yeah if I get into chipping and a lot of buying/selling then I'll get one :)

You definitely don't need to soak china clays, especially those that are only chalky. A quick wipe with a damp microfiber cloth and that's it.

Once dry, a quick compression or swipe-and-wipe oiling will make them the best they can be.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account and join our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Back
Top Bottom