Vitriol (1 Viewer)

louBdub

Full House
Reaction score
It’s a lesser used word, that caught my attention as I read another post.

——————

From another member, and I couldn’t agree more…

“…but even in the six months I’ve been part of it, PCF has become angrier, pettier and less of a community. I’m hoping that passes.”

“The vitriol here has reached epic levels.”

——————

I am relatively new on here as well, and in that time I have found individuals that have helped me greatly, however…

I can’t help but be put off by the “internet” vibe some have, and the holy PCF thrones they’ve built for themselves in this virtual forum land. It’s insidious and counterproductive to enjoying anything with others.

I’d imagine that a majority of those on this forum would act and speak much differently in person at someone’s home, and be authentic when greeted. Hopeful, it is a digital age…. And conveying things respectfully is lost on many nowadays.

Yet on the internet, some take on a new form and unmask something else. Casting a digital flex on those they don’t even know, and probably never will.

It’s interesting how some become new humans when in the depths of internet worm holes. Some more fake OR more real… Depending on the optics used.

As a semi middle aged man, I try my best to not become an internet version of myself, and remain authentic. Everything I type, every thing I react to, every PM I’ve sent, I do as if I were sitting in the same room with you.

I hope you will do the same.

And thank you to the chippers who have helped me find and learn more about this hobby, your positive input is greatly appreciated!

- Lou

Last edited:
Just ignore the bullshit and block the keyboard warriors, assholes, and trolls. Except @Josh Kifer , he's ok.

This place still has lots to offer if you ignore the vitriol. The block feature here is your friend.
@Josh Kifer was a great help from the jump. He actually went and got a CSQ chip for me, milled 1”, and helped me make a decision on a set. I really appreciated that.

Oh, you’ll love the politics forum then :)
I will not venture in that wild land of internet boldness and upside down weird land. Not a chance!

1658070372993.gif

I think you can become an internet version of yourself without being vitriolic, and I think that often keeps things interesting.
Like, if everybody behaved on PCF exactly as they would at a new game where they didn’t really know anybody, wouldn’t things get a little boring?

Embrace the “ignore” button. The shrieking chickens are relatively few here, actually, but like a lot of shriekers they can get an outsized amount of attention, which is what they feed on, of course.

Surprisingly, I find this message board to be one of the best communities on the internet. Extremely helpful and friendly.

The whiskey thread is probably my favorite.

Some message boards are complete dumpster fires, or on complete life support secondary to f***book.

Also, in terms of the internet wormhole, you either have thick skin and ignore certain comments and scroll on by, or you have thin skin and are offended by everything.

Let's be honest, in today's world, everyone is offended by everything and everyone is outraged by literally anything.

I think most people would agree, that scrolling on by allows for a happier person.

This is a generality. I haven't noticed stuff like that here, for the most part.

Just ignore the bullshit and block the keyboard warriors, assholes, and trolls. Except @Josh Kifer , he's ok.

This place still has lots to offer if you ignore the vitriol. The block feature here is your friend.
2/3 of the people here love me!

1/3 don't get modern comedy. *Shrug*

It’s much easier to say the things you think behind a computer screen. I get it, and I try not to let it bother me much. Personally, I try to focus on keeping it as authentic as possible, but I accept that I’m not perfect. I tend to keep it light on public forums anyway. To me it’s the safest way. Be respectful and avoid altercation.

Mind you a lot of the ignorance you may experience on PCF is not limited to this site. It’s common across public forums all over the internet or any virtual place.

I think you can become an internet version of yourself without being vitriolic, and I think that often keeps things interesting.
Like, if everybody behaved on PCF exactly as they would at a new game where they didn’t really know anybody, wouldn’t things get a little boring?
I have to wonder if some are put off by discourse, I try to be genuine, honest, open minded, analytical and always keep a sense of humor. I know I might come across a bit aggressive with an argument, but its honest and I can live with disagreement.

Variety is the spice of life, upNdown and I have been on opposite sides of view points, the same side, haggled and traded, and I'm sure would laugh and have a good great time at a table. Its one of the reasons I like @CrazyEddie so much! We don't grow if there is no challenge.

You can have a different view point without being toxic, and that difference is what I'm pointing out (and agreeing with @upNdown on), that I think overall some would take as vitriolic.

Last edited:
Maybe the forum hasn’t changed. Maybe you’ve just gotten more sensitive. Not that there’s anything wrong with that.

Posts like this have been happening for years. If things truly were “getting worse” by now this place would have morphed into some version of Rust book face. It’s more or less the same. all the time. Stuff settles down in between chip room sales. Hang around you’ll get used to the cadence. It’s like cicadas in the summer, crickets in the fall, sweet silence of winter, and f&cking battle fields of springtime.

It would be kind of hilarious if this thread was a result of the small blind button discussion on the home game thread.
Now I know where I’m going next!!

I have to wonder if some are put off by discourse, I try to be genuine, honest, open minded, analytical and always keep a sense of humor. I know I might come across a bit aggressive with an argument, but its honest and I can live with disagreement.

Variety is the spice of life, upNdown and I have been on opposite sides of view points, the same side, haggled and traded, and I'm sure would laugh and have a good great time at a table. Its one of the reasons I like @CrazyEddie so much! We don't grow if there is no challenge.

You can have a different view point without being toxic, and that difference is what I'm pointing out (and agreeing with @upNdown on), that I think overall some would take as vitriolic.

giphy.gif
Yes, all of this completely.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account and join our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Back
Top Bottom