Vintage Clays Question (1 Viewer)

Papasatyr

Two Pair
Reaction score
One stop on my chipping journey has found a very good set of diasqr molds, 7.5 gram-ish, harder clays, probably from the 50’s or 60’s. They‘re slippery for a clay chip, about the same as a Dunes Commemorative CC fresh out of the roll. Stacking is better than slugged plastic, but not quite rock solid when pushing a barrel into the middle.

Do vintage clays stack better once broken in?

I have an set of flower molds (unplayable due to a lousy breakdown) that are broken in, and they are puuuurrrrfect! Easy shuffling, friction between chips is subtle but there, and they stack like a champ for 70-year old chips, straight up buttery goodness—they stack about halfway between a Milano and a fresh CPC/Paulson. I have some other diasqr chips, broken in, that stack great. I have broken in hub molds that also stack like a boss. And by contrast, I have some older, straight up mint Nevada molds that are surprisingly slippery. Hence the question.

Thank you to the veteran chippers for any input.

I don't know the answer for sure, but I would have a hard time believing this would be true. Unless we're talking about things that actually crumble, wear over time should decrease friction and make stacking ever so slightly less cohesive.

I don't know the answer for sure, but I would have a hard time believing this would be true. Unless we're talking about things that actually crumble, wear over time should decrease friction and make stacking ever so slightly less cohesive.
After some thought, I wonder if the fact that some vintage clays are very hard means that new, they have poor friction due to less surface area contact between chips and a material that doesn’t grip well with itself. As the chips see play, perhaps greater surface contact can compensate for too hard a base material.

Or not.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account and join our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Back
Top Bottom