Villa Verona Plaque (1 Viewer)

CrazyEddie

Full House
Reaction score
I picked up this on eBay. It appears to be a Chipco plaque:

s-l1600.jpg

s-l1600.jpg

It's possible it was made by someone besides Chipco, but given the date (1995) I suspect that's unlikely.

I'm curious about the subject matter. The Hilton is now the Westgate, but the "Sky Villa" suites were designed in the 1990s and are the ultimate in luxury hotel suites. The Verona Sky Villa is the largest of the three, and in fact is the largest in the US at 15,400 square feet.

Here's an article: https://www.justluxe.com/travel/villa/feature-1972478.php

Here's a video tour from the hotel itself:
Here's some people who can afford to pay $10,000 per night for a hotel room, bitching about how the Verona decor is SOOOO thirty years ago: https://www.tripadvisor.com/ShowTopic-g45963-i10-k13091098-Westgate_Sky_Villa-Las_Vegas_Nevada.html

must be nice

Anyway, can anyone tell me, or hazard a guess, as to what function this plaque served? Is this like an "okay, here's some pocket change, go have fun" voucher that you can take to the tables and gamble with? Pay $10,000 for the suite and you get a free $10,000 chip that's only good for one spin at roulette or something, with the expectation that you'll be putting up another $100,000 of your own money afterwards? Is it a high-roller plaque that you pay cash for like any other chip, but it's got special branding on it because you're a special person who's staying in the special suite?

Any info anyone has would be most appreciated.

Are there UV markings on it or anything?
Okay, I checked, and... nope! Not a one. :(

Spotted various UV markers on some of my other chips, including my Luxor ceramic $1s and my Ameristar Chicago RHC $1s. But nothing on this Hilton plaque.

Maybe it's got rfid. It would be strange to have no security.
I think it's too old for RFID. A couple of articles I found suggest that Chipco was one of the first to offer RFID chips, starting in 2004, and this is from 1995 or thereabouts.

It does have an etched serial number, which makes me think it must have been actually valuable and not just a souvenir or whatever. But it's non-transferable, has no cash value, and expires. So maybe it's some kind of voucher?

I suppose if I get curious enough I could call or email the Westgate and see if anyone there knows enough about the history of their high-roller suites to recognize this.

... oh! Here's a guess - it's a voucher for the suite itself! Basically a super-fancy comp. Pit boss sees a high roller who needs to be made happy and hands him one of these plaques, and he can cash it in when he books the suite.

Maybe?

1460 may even be the room number
I don't think it has a room number. It's just "The Villa Verona". It takes up like half of the top floor of the hotel and has its own private elevator.

The suites were opened in 1995, and the voucher expires Apr 1 1995. So maybe these were handed out to select guests / celebrities / publicity people as part of the grand opening and marketing blitz? Just speculating...

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account and join our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Back
Top Bottom