Video Game Emulator Box (2 Viewers)

gkitt80

Flush
Reaction score
Anyone have experience building one? What hardware did you use? What controllers? What UI did you use? Any tips? What’s your experience been like?

I built one with Raspberry Pi and used the Retropie setup. I bought USB Super Nes controllers which work OK, but I'd upgrade to a legitimate USB controller rather than a knockoff.

So far the experience has been good. It's basically an NBA Jam machine but that suits me just fine.

I haven't tried Playstation 1/2 roms but I'd expect those to work better than the N64 roms which are hit and miss.

Used this guide: https://lifehacker.com/the-advanced-guide-to-setting-up-a-diy-game-console-wit-1790381861

Just get an Nvidia Shield. Use it as aTV streaming box and then install Retroarch. Use an Xbox One controller and life is good.

I made one from a pi and retropie. Got the more expensive Buffalo branded controllers and they work awesome. I installed too many games though it has over 7000. A few N64 titles work ok (Mario kart 64 works for me, but golden eye doesn't). Haven't tried ps1. I also bought some stickers off of Etsy I think that make it look like a ti y SNES.

Can you link the controllers you got? My experience in the past in my brief foray into emulating left a sour taste in my mouth as there was too much lag with the controllers...

You do know that just about all emulation is easily done on a PC? What specifically are you trying to emulate?

I had a friend build me a NES modulator that runs every NES game. Fun thing with friends over some beers trying to play bubble bobble.

You do know that just about all emulation is easily done on a PC? What specifically are you trying to emulate?

I do - I have some experience emulating on my PC. I am looking to build something I can tape to the back of my basement television and plug and play with my kids. NES/SNES/Sega at the very least, but ideally dreamcast/64/PS1/PS2 (although I have heard mixed stories on how easily this can be done). Ideally a clean UI.

I have an unfinished Mame machine project build for old Arcade games and have plans to add old console games to it as well. I've playing the games on the PC, but am slow on the cab build. I want to say i have GamEx as the front end but will need to check.

Oh just saw your post above. For TV, i think it easier and cheaper to just buy the retail emulators and just add a switch to hook up multiple emulators and not clog up your inputs.

My kid bought a cheap Dell computer off Amazon and set it up for me.
15872258337148303608619130504760.jpg
I use these controllers they have been great. They are about $50 on Amazon.

Can you link the controllers you got? My experience in the past in my brief foray into emulating left a sour taste in my mouth as there was too much lag with the controllers...

I only have the .ca link, and the price seems to have doubled but...

https://www.amazon.ca/Buffalo-iBuff...er&qid=1587229938&sprefix=Buffalo+snes&sr=8-4

Every so often there is a bit of a lag problem, maybe a quarter second or less, but a reboot usually fixes it. Way more noticeable in games like street fighter than slower paced games.

I do - I have some experience emulating on my PC. I am looking to build something I can tape to the back of my basement television and plug and play with my kids. NES/SNES/Sega at the very least, but ideally dreamcast/64/PS1/PS2 (although I have heard mixed stories on how easily this can be done). Ideally a clean UI.
PS2 emulation is difficult for even beefed up computers. The rest of it is so easy that the old laptop you want to throw away will run it great. Just hook it up to a tv and use an Xbox controller for Windows.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account and join our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Back
Top Bottom