Via Lactea pron (PCF edition) (2 Viewers)

Ben

Full House
Reaction score
I have a few pics on my flash drive which just now turned up after the move (been looking for that MF'er...) - I busted out the complete set a few weeks ago to take some pron, but was interrupted and never got back to it. I was going to take a bunch more and better-quality pics, single denoms etc., but hey, something is better than nothing, right??? I'll get back to it when I can... ;)

Attachments

• IMG_8333.jpg
    IMG_8333.jpg
    98.4 KB · Views: 690
  • IMG_8335.jpg
    IMG_8335.jpg
    101.4 KB · Views: 572
  • IMG_8337.jpg
    IMG_8337.jpg
    96.8 KB · Views: 573
  • IMG_8339.jpg
    IMG_8339.jpg
    97.7 KB · Views: 586
  • IMG_8343.jpg
    IMG_8343.jpg
    68.8 KB · Views: 592
  • IMG_8344.jpg
    IMG_8344.jpg
    105.7 KB · Views: 583
  • IMG_8345.jpg
    IMG_8345.jpg
    101.7 KB · Views: 557
beautiful, beautiful set, Ben. as i've said before, i think the hundo is my favorite, but i love the $20.

the thing that makes me really love this set is that you had the wherewithal to push through with your original vision for the inlay. it's quite non-traditional and i'm sure you had moments where you worried that it wouldn't translate in person, but it really works and i'm really glad you stuck with it.

if/when you take more pics, i'd love to see some close-ups of each chip to show the different constellations.

These are one of my favorite custom sets! Thanks for sharing!

if/when you take more pics, i'd love to see some close-ups of each chip to show the different constellations.

Absolutely, it's on my to-do list. I'm hoping for better pic results in the new room - the lighting in the old one pretty much sucked, even in daylight. At the moment, all da chipes are still at the old place though - I just haven't had a chance to load them up and bring them over with the care that they require. One thing that CANNOT be a rush job... ;)

Great set. Had my sample set out the other day, love the 25¢ 1/4 pie chip.

Fantastic set, delightful to see more pr0n. Get them moved and the room ready! I hope to crash a game in Jan or Feb!

Nice breakdown also, Ben. Enjoy!

Get them moved and the room ready! I hope to crash a game in Jan or Feb!

Let me know ASAP when you're coming and I'll see if I can get a game together. Also you're welcome to crash if you want to - we're about 40 minutes from downtown Franklin. Plenty of space but no spare real beds - we have air mattresses and a couch bed though.

beautiful, beautiful set, Ben. as i've said before, i think the hundo is my favorite, but i love the $20.

the thing that makes me really love this set is that you had the wherewithal to push through with your original vision for the inlay. it's quite non-traditional and i'm sure you had moments where you worried that it wouldn't translate in person, but it really works and i'm really glad you stuck with it.

Just shows how awesome this set it. My favorites are the 1s and 5s. And I agree, as a set, it is fantastic.

Those quarters were my inspiration for my tournament 500s. I just love putting them in play (though you may have figured that out, with my $1.75 raises in the 25¢/50¢ games). I love the $20s even more, but so far the bankroll hasn't allowed me to start shoving those around...

Reactions: Ben
Beautiful set...waiting for the closeup of the inlays. The $5 yellows really jump out at you!

Those 5's are so incredible. I look forward to the day I can get a custom set and use that chip design.

Simply insane that this set wasn't even nominated for the HoF. Def top 5 contention. Stupid polls are stupid.

I was just wondering myself why this set wasn't nominated. The $5 chip is the absolute nuts.

Post more pr0n of these chips, Ben!

On a sidenote, I'm not super familiar with what 'Cali-colored' chip sets entail. I know that the $5 chip is yellow, but are there other color differences than just the yellow $5?

In general:

vegas:
$1 white (or blue)
$5 red
$20 yellow
$25 green
$100 black

cali:
$1 blue
$5 yellow
$20 black
$25 purple
$100 white

Simply insane that this set wasn't even nominated for the HoF. Def top 5 contention. Stupid polls are stupid.

I like to think this set is the Peyton Manning of chips. A definite future Hall of Famer. Will get voted in on it's first ballot.

Great set.

What is the back story on the name and inlay again?

thanks

Via Lactea is Milky Way in Latin. The rest of this copied and pasted directly from CT, because I'm lazy:

Ever since I was very young, I have had a huge interest in astronomy and the universe out there. I actually went to a very prestigious school to study astrophysics, and while I decided to scrap that idea once it became clear that I was going to be a no-better-than-average astrophysicist, that doesn't mean that my interest has waned. When thinking about a custom set, I thought a deep-space theme of some kind might look cool, and very gradually this set began to take shape. I started thinking about constellations and it just so happened that I couple of the chips that I had been playing around with mockups on would "match up" pretty well with certain constellations that had particular meaning to me, and BINGO! - this set was born. After much revision, back-and-forth, and intensive artwork design with the incomparable J5 (who I had to take a bit out of his element on this one - sorry John!) this is what I sent the order in for yesterday:

VL_final_zpsf9760c98.png

br_mock_final_zpscd5a3318.jpg

$0.25 - constellation Libra (the balance scale)
$1 - constellation Eridanus (the river)
$5 - constellation Corona Australis (the southern crown)
$20 - constellation Draco (the dragon)
$100 - constellation Cassiopeia (the queen)

Each one of these has particular meaning to me on multiple levels, and I couldn't be any happier with how this has turned out.
biggrin.png
There are a couple of things in here that might not be considered optimal, like a couple of repeating colors and maybe the 3V12 $20 doesn't exactly "fit" in the edgespot progression, but oh well - I thought about them long and hard and everything is the way it is for a reason.
smile.png

As you can see, I'm not really a "simple" kind of guy when it comes to chips - lots of colors, lots of edgespots, colorful and complex artwork - that's me. I get that this set may be a little "loud" to some, but I love it.

Meh, no biggie to me. A lot of people don't have much use for this kind of design, and that's OK - it's pretty much a "you love it or you hate it" kind of set. A lot of people seem to love it, and a fair number hate it. I really, really love it, and thus shelled out crazy cash to have it made. :D

Someday I hope to stick around long enough to see those $20s in play. I also say "Bah" to edge-spot progression. Sometimes the biggest chip typically in play should be the nice one, and I usually hear everyone swooning over the $5. This is a terrific set; inlays, edge-spots, colors and all.

Though I still think Cali colors belong in California

Though I still think Cali colors belong in California

You know, early in the design process I had the blue chip as the $5, the yellow chip as the $20, and an arc-yellow-based chip as the $1. How do ya like me now?!? :p

Seriously though, if I made 1000 different custom sets, zero of them would have a white $1 or a red $5. I know how much this vexes you and some others, and I revel in it. :D

Sometimes the biggest chip typically in play should be the nice one

I'm in the same boat as you. I designed a set and was in love with the $100 I designed. Then realized we hardly ever get a 25 into play so the beautiful 100's would never get to see action. Changed up my design and made the denominations that will be in play the most the designs I liked the best. Now I just need to win the lottery so I can make the set!

You know, early in the design process I had the blue chip as the $5, the yellow chip as the $20, and an arc-yellow-based chip as the $1. How do ya like me now?!? :p

Seriously though, if I made 1000 different custom sets, zero of them would have a white $1 or a red $5. I know how much this vexes you and some others, and I revel in it. :D

I actually prefer the blue $1s over white $1s. The worst Vegas $1 though is the Orleans. It's brown :p.

Beyond that, as long as colors aren't used in the wrong place (green $5s for instance), I am fine. Though the idea of 1000 different custom sets...

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account and join our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Back
Top Bottom