Velveteen or speed cloth for a 8.5ft table? (1 Viewer)

NiceShot

Flush
Reaction score
I am making a new poker table that is 8.5 ft long. I would like to be able to deal cards across the table. Should I go with speed cloth or velveteen?

I could be wrong but I don't think you will find anyone who will vote velveteen over speed cloth. I have 3 tables and the first one made with velveteen back in 2004'ish. The other two were made shortly after with speed cloth and I regret ever doing velveteen. Velveteen has a nicer sheen on the eyes, but durability and dealt card slide'age will favor speed cloth.

Velveteen is not a fast enough cloth to pitch cards from one end to the other for such a long table. You should use a faster cloth like USC, SSC or gaming suede.

Man after purchasing three tables with ssc this last year I will tell you it is the stuff

Thanks guys for the responses. I will let you know how it goes. Any advice on getting a betting line on any of those materials?

- - - - - - - - - Updated - - - - - - - - -

Also any tips on where to purchase for a good price is welcome.

Thanks guys for the responses. I will let you know how it goes. Any advice on getting a betting line on any of those materials?

Also any tips on where to purchase for a good price is welcome.

Depends what you mean by a good price? if you got the $$ talk to T-Chan and get a custom felt.. especially if it's the only one you'll ever get

Haha thanks guys and I appreciate the link.

I am curious, do any of you glue your speed cloth to the foam on your tabletop or just staple? I typically just staple...

I don't. The 3M spray adhesive I use comes out almost like silly string which makes a light application difficult. I just staple tight and it seems to have worked out so far.

1 with a light coat of spray adhesive, 1 without. No discernible difference.

Also on the OP, I have 1 table with velveteen and 1 with SSC (and 3rd with moleskin). Velveteen has the best feel of the 3, but you don't notice the feel when you have a mountain of chips in the way. Poor card pitch is noticeable no matter how many chips you have.

Don't get me wrong, I like the love the velveteen (I tend to be short stacked an awful lot). If I build (or resurface) again I would try T-Chan's gaming suede just to be able to be a well rounded, no hypothesis source of information.

I use a light spray of adhesive on all cloths except for SSC. SSC has virtually no stretch in the fabric so as long as your pull it tight when you staple then the cloth won't ripple when shoving chips and cards across the felt.

Thanks guys for the feedback. I think I will go with no adhesive for now. It will make it easier to replace as well if I decide to upgrade to T-chans custom suede.

T-chan, can you pitch across a 8.5 foot table with the gaming suede?

I can pitch across 20 feet on gaming suede, then again I'm a very proficient dealer ;)

But all of my league players can pitch across 8' just fine. Those who couldn't pitch across 7' on NVSC can pitch across 8' of gaming suede. I can send you a sample if you like.

Thanks guys for the feedback. I think I will go with no adhesive for now. It will make it easier to replace as well if I decide to upgrade to T-chans custom suede.

T-chan, can you pitch across a 8.5 foot table with the gaming suede?

I put Chan's gaming suede on a 9 foot table, no problem pitching from one end to the other. With the more traditional gaming suede you'd have trouble pitching from end to end.

I can pitch across 20 feet on gaming suede, then again I'm a very proficient dealer ;)

But all of my league players can pitch across 8' just fine. Those who couldn't pitch across 7' on NVSC can pitch across 8' of gaming suede. I can send you a sample if you like.

A sample would be great! Just saw your post with prices. what file format do you take artwork in? My creative juices are flowing now..

Built 12 tables. All with Speed cloth and no regrets. I'm about to build one with a custom cloth from Tony (hopefully the first of many). Cant speak to it personally, but I trust T Chan in all things tables.

Built 12 tables. All with Speed cloth and no regrets. I'm about to build one with a custom cloth from Tony (hopefully the first of many). Cant speak to it personally, but I trust T Chan in all things tables.

Nice. Post pics when you get it on. Tony is sending me some samples. I have only used velveteen because it's cheap and easy to find. Changing it up for the bigger tables I am building now. Looks like friends want me to help them make tables too.

20150314_183549.jpg

Picked up 3 sheets of 4x10 today... gotta start somewhere :).

In the last moment I have changed up my design to include lights.... any tips on attaching a diffuser? I will not be using a wooden racetrack in this build. Should I cut out a center for playing surface so the diffuser can be attached without foam and playing surface running underneath? Also where do I purchase a diffuser for the lights. Is it just plexiglass?

Thanks Tony for the sample! Now I just need to figure out the design...
20150323_191032.jpg

gaming suede for the win. Never been a fan of SSC. A little too rough for my tastes and not too keen on the looks of it

My new felt will be arriving this week from Tony. Cant wait to see how it looks and plays!!! :)

I am curious, do any of you glue your speed cloth to the foam on your tabletop or just staple? I typically just staple...

I originally only stapled it but soon realized it tends to bunch up a bit when you run your fingers hard against it. So I unstapled one side and sprayed some adhesive spray onto the foam. Re-stapled and then it was great.

I am putting my new Tchan felt over my existing gaming suede.. anyone against this idea? I dont want to rip up any volara foam along with the old felt ya know....

gaming suede for the win. Never been a fan of SSC. A little too rough for my tastes and not too keen on the looks of it

My new felt will be arriving this week from Tony. Cant wait to see how it looks and plays!!! :)

I originally only stapled it but soon realized it tends to bunch up a bit when you run your fingers hard against it. So I unstapled one side and sprayed some adhesive spray onto the foam. Re-stapled and then it was great.

I am putting my new Tchan felt over my existing gaming suede.. anyone against this idea? I dont want to rip up any volara foam along with the old felt ya know....

That's great spike. Post of pics? I appreciate the tip on adhesive.

I am coming up with the design for mine.

Spike, from your other thread looks like you be getting a lighting upgrade too. Would be great to see how it comes out.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account and join our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Back
Top Bottom