Vanessa Selbst Retires from Poker (1 Viewer)

My wife actually worked directly and at some length with Hellmuth on an event in Atlantis around a decade ago and said away from the tables he is the nicest and most polite person you could ever hope to meet.

He also sent a care package and gave a direct phone call to @links_slayer several years ago when he was fighting cancer if I’m not mistaken.

Phil may be immature at the table but I don’t know that he’s necessarily that bad of a guy.

This. I’ve met and played with Hellmuth several times. Always been polite and respectful, and away from the table, like at autograph and photo ops he’s the nicest guy you’ve ever been around. One of his comments was that he loved Oklahoma Poker because they treat his son respectfully and him as well.

I think part of the difference for me (imho) is that Phil recognizes he’s part of the poker scene, and it defines a big part of who he is, while Selbst just does it for the money and is ready to walk away from it at anytime.

Phil owns it, while Selbst seems to just rent. My opinion, based on almost nothing.

I know I've seen videos of Selbst and she comes across as particularly rude and condescending towards other players, like she gets all pissed if someone doesn't fold to her aggression.

She just seems particularly unlikeable and not really approachable/enjoyable to be around at the poker table.

I'd rather play with Phil

I'd rather play with Phil -- he's easier to put on tilt.

I'm with @Lemonzest , she bugs the shit out of me. Has a very entitled air about her.

I still remember how she busted out of a cash game when she 3 bet with J8 off and she was so upset and couldn't believe her 'friend' would raise/ call or whatever... when.. i think she went all in.

Some people are just d-bags who believe their inteligence in one area of life gives them a free pass in every other area.

no thanks. Have a nice retirement.

edit: re-read what i said and it sounded a little harsh. She's probably a nice enough person. It just doesn't come across that way.

I still remember how she busted out of a cash game when she 3 bet with J8 off and she was so upset and couldn't believe her 'friend' would raise/ call or whatever... when.. i think she went all in.

I think we've all had one or more of those "how do you call there?" moments - hers, like other pros, just happened to be caught on video.

"How do you call here" moments are always preceded by a "why did you bet there" moment.

It's bad sportsmanship though, to point that out to the loser. :x

"How do you call here" moments are always preceded by a "why did you bet there" moment.

It's bad sportsmanship though, to point that out to the loser. :x

Bad calls sometimes win pots, and I think it's also bad sportsmanship (and bad poker) to point out to the winner that they made a bad call.

I'd be a liar if I said I'd never done it, though - that was the point of my previous comment.

I think we've all had one or more of those "how do you call there?" moments - hers, like other pros, just happened to be caught on video.

I agree we have all had our moments, and will have many to come.
My beef with that particular moment was her attitude, with J3 off (still not sure if thats what it was?) it seemed like a "how dare you" , "i cant believe i didn't get respect" attitude. with horrendous cards.!
Not saying she isn't a good player and has the stats to show for it. But jeez she bugs me... i'm tilted right now !

I don't know the lady and she may be a wonderful person to spend time with.
If so, her looks do her a great injustice (more like a Soviet Air Force cosmonaut working for world peace):)

I agree we have all had our moments, and will have many to come.
My beef with that particular moment was her attitude, with J3 off (still not sure if thats what it was?) it seemed like a "how dare you" , "i cant believe i didn't get respect" attitude. with horrendous cards.!
Not saying she isn't a good player and has the stats to show for it. But jeez she bugs me... i'm tilted right now !

My plan worked perfectly - let's go HU4ROLLZ right now!

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account and join our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Back
Top Bottom