Value on Murdered Chips (1 Viewer)

JaketheGreat

High Hand
Reaction score
So I see a lot of "murdured" chips for sale on the forum, I'm just wondering what exactly that would do to the value of a chip. I would assume decrease it but it takes a step out of the way if you're relabeling chips so I'm not completely sure.

So I see a lot of "murdured" chips for sale on the forum, I'm just wondering what exactly that would do to the value of a chip. I would assume decrease it but it takes a step out of the way if you're relabeling chips so I'm not completely sure.
Depends. If someone wants murdered chips, they can enhance value. If someone doesn't, it would lower them. It depends on what chips and who wants them.

Historically murdering a chip tends to lower the price as you significantly reduce the amount of people who are interested (generally thise who want that specific chip for their relabel project).

I imagine it would also be dependent on the chip too.

Ah I see, the value becomes a little arbitrary and up in the air because of how much it narrows down the buyer base.
Alot of people want Aurora Star 1k Hot Stamps. They hold a good value. Most anyone would buy them all day at 4.50 each.

I also have milled a few racks of them, and I know a few people who would pay 4.50 for the milled racks any day of the week for projects.

But in general, unless they are hot stamped solids that are useless and random, it won't do much to enhance the chip. A useless hot stamped chip worth a buck each would be more valuable milled, as it can be used in sets actively then.

It could be priceless to you. Take a rack of $25 RHC Jack chips that sells for $100. After murdering them into fracs, you've got a rack that could take you $500 to replicate with authentic chips. To you, that's a huge value increase.

To someone who wanted $25 chips they are now worthless. But to someone else needing fracs who like your label design, they again are worth more.

It could be priceless to you. Take a rack of $25 RHC Jack chips that sells for $100. After murdering them into fracs, you've got a rack that could take you $500 to replicate with authentic chips. To you, that's a huge value increase.

To someone who wanted $25 chips they are now worthless. But to someone else needing fracs who like your label design, they again are worth more.
That's the value. Some sets 500s and 1ks can be 10-13 bucks a chip. Find a chip you like, mill or murder it, and you can fill that need for alot less.

It doesn’t lower the value, it just shrinks the market for them.

People who don’t want murdered chips won’t buy them for any price. Whereas for the remaining people that want murdered chips it saves them effort so arguably marginally increases value.

People who don’t want murdered chips won’t buy them for any price. Whereas for the remaining people that want murdered chips it saves them effort so arguably marginally increases value.

I guess it comes down to how quickly you want to sell then.

Amongst the group of people who do buy murdered chips they may buy chips that they werent necessarily looking for at a lower price but not at full pop.

Agreed. U may lose the collector contingent. But for those who like relabel projects (like me) a nice chip (or chip set) with the inlay(s) removed may bring a premium. I will note that the inlay needs to be removed neatly/correctly along with all glue residue. Cleaning the glue residue can be more frustrating then removing some labels (Those damn glue boogies stick to everything).

I guess it comes down to how quickly you want to sell then.

Amongst the group of people who do buy murdered chips they may buy chips that they werent necessarily looking for at a lower price but not at full pop.

But if you were going to murder them you were going to murder them. I don’t think people are going to make the decision to murder or not while thinking about how long it will take to sell them. The market is pretty liquid here for most chips murdered or not.

Ok, I'll chime in here even though some of the chips that are mentioned are mine so obviously I might have a bias.....

As with most things value lies where buyers and sellers can agree on a price.....

On one hand chips cost money to acquire and time to murder so from the perspective of the seller they are worth what yhe seller paid + some for the effort of murdering the chips.

On the other hand, if there is no one interested in something then sellers will have to lower their expectations.

From my experience I would agree with those that say generally about the same as unmurdered or maybe a little more, but as stated above it is going to come down to what buyers and sellers can agree to.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account and join our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Back
Top Bottom