Valentinos, good starter set? (2 Viewers)

sramp17

Sitting Out
Reaction score
I am pretty new to the poker chip scene. In high school I bought the standard suited chips with my initials stamped in them which of course made me think I was the shit. Now, I am 30 and looking to get my first "real" set. Happen to like the look of Valentinos from BR Pro.

Is this a good starter set? I am willing to spend a little extra as I earn a good living so I want something nice, but don't need to break the bank either

Any advice as to quantity of chips and denominations is also appreciated. Thinking for 8-10 guys at a $50 buy in and .5/1 blinds

Thanks!

Don't get too many fracs. 40x 0.50 (or 60-80x 0.25) will be plenty.

400 chips gives you 0.75-1.25 per chip budget
40x 0.50
200x 1
140x 5
20x 25
Total bank 1420

You are on budget for custom ceramics and ceramic hybrids, high end plastics, and lower end of compression clay. Lots of options.

Any of the chips from BR Pro Poker are excellent quality. If you like the Valentino design, go for it. But, you should get samples first. Make sure you like the feel, the colors in real life, etc.

You will read “get samples” a lot on the forum because it is great advice. Better to spend a few dollars to know you like them or not rather than buy a full set to realize you don’t like them after all. And as stated above, there are ways of getting loaner samples from members.

40x 0.50
200x 1
140x 5
20x 25
Total bank 1420

You are on budget for custom ceramics and ceramic hybrids, high end plastics, and lower end of compression clay. Lots of options.

Thanks for the advice! What are your thoughts if I bumped to 500 chips as a buffer for if I have extra players one night

Any of the chips from BR Pro Poker are excellent quality. If you like the Valentino design, go for it. But, you should get samples first. Make sure you like the feel, the colors in real life, etc.

You will read “get samples” a lot on the forum because it is great advice. Better to spend a few dollars to know you like them or not rather than buy a full set to realize you don’t like them after all. And as stated above, there are ways of getting loaner samples from members.
Samples got delivered today! I like them a lot, not that I have much to compare to lol

Consider signing up to receive free loaner sample sets.

I like this idea, can you point me in the right direction for this? Sorry for not having much j sight, this whole community is new to me

I think in the Poker Chip General section there are two sticky threads at the top that have different sample sets for evaluation. You can sign up for any/all

If going to 500 chips I would get more $5s. If your stakes ever go lower to 0.25/0.50 then leave the 0.50s and get 1 rack of quarters. Or, play 1/1 and get rid of fracs completely. I bet your players won't notice the difference at all.

Two thoughts pop into my mind reading this.

1. With $50 buy-ins I would be thinking your blinds would be better off at .25/.50. If your standard buy-in is too low in terms of the BB, people will look for hands to shove with, while most people with 100BB will gladly see a flop or two (or a lot more) with suited connectors and things like that. At your budget and this thinking I would buy
200 x .25
200 x 1
200 x 5
this way your set can easily handle .25/.50 and .5/1. Even in the semi-custom options @Thisfiendis138 showed you, the total bill is below $500. And while I won't speak for anyone else, the most annoying games all need people making change because there isn't enough blind chips. This lets you give everyone a barrel of quarters at the start, and you can do rebuys in all 5's. You may want something for "the big chip", I use these in my set https://www.apachepokerchips.com/product/andrew-jackson-20-plaque/.

2. You should DEFINITELY get samples first - if you PM me your name and address I can send you a sample pack of both the valentinos and the valentino high rollers, I got them from BR Pro Poker before I made my order. All I ask in return is you pay it forward to the next guy looking into these things here.

Two thoughts pop into my mind reading this.

1. With $50 buy-ins I would be thinking your blinds would be better off at .25/.50. If your standard buy-in is too low in terms of the BB, people will look for hands to shove with, while most people with 100BB will gladly see a flop or two (or a lot more) with suited connectors and things like that. At your budget and this thinking I would buy
200 x .25
200 x 1
200 x 5
this way your set can easily handle .25/.50 and .5/1. Even in the semi-custom options @Thisfiendis138 showed you, the total bill is below $500. And while I won't speak for anyone else, the most annoying games all need people making change because there isn't enough blind chips. This lets you give everyone a barrel of quarters at the start, and you can do rebuys in all 5's. You may want something for "the big chip", I use these in my set https://www.apachepokerchips.com/product/andrew-jackson-20-plaque/.

2. You should DEFINITELY get samples first - if you PM me your name and address I can send you a sample pack of both the valentinos and the valentino high rollers, I got them from BR Pro Poker before I made my order. All I ask in return is you pay it forward to the next guy looking into these things here.

thanks for the advice. I got both those samples in the mail today! I like them although I have nothing to compare to

we do .25/.50 blinds. Honestly not sure why I said .5/1 earlier, my head must’ve been elsewhere or something as I was typing that up

thanks for the advice. I got both those samples in the mail today! I like them although I have nothing to compare to

we do .25/.50 blinds. Honestly not sure why I said .5/1 earlier, my head must’ve been elsewhere or something as I was typing that up
200 x quarters
200 x dollars
200 x 5's
This breakdown lets you start a 10 person table with a barrel of quarters, a barrel of dollars, and 5 of the 5's. It makes sure everyone has enough blind chips, and it also leaves 15 re-buys in straight 5's. This is where I would start.

40x 0.50
200x 1
140x 5
20x 25
Total bank 1420

I m a little confused about custom ceramics. Many say that sunfly custom ceramics is a great and cheap option since its about .50/chip for quality. However on their website the stock chips are .60/chip and with shipping more like .80/chip. How can custom chips be cheaper than the stock chips?

I m a little confused about custom ceramics. Many say that sunfly custom ceramics is a great and cheap option since its about .50/chip for quality. However on their website the stock chips are .60/chip and with shipping more like .80/chip. How can custom chips be cheaper than the stock chips?
Web prices are retail. Nobody around here pays retail. :)

For example, the group buy for custom 39mm hybrid chips @Tommy is organizing has prices well below those listed on the web site -- as low as 42c/chip unlabeled, I think.

Web prices are retail. Nobody around here pays retail. :)

For example, the group buy for custom 39mm hybrid chips @Tommy is organizing has prices well below those listed on the web site -- as low as 42c/chip unlabeled, I think.
Sorry if I ask stupid questions; I'm still new here. So correct me if I'm wrong but if I join the group buy, it means I have to go with whatever the group decide to buy in terms of design, I won't get chips with my design right? or is it just a big order that can contain multiple designs?

So in the scenario where I'd like to design my own chip, how much should I expect to pay? also the best way to proceed is to contact Sunfly via PCF?

Thank you!

If you're not part of a group buy, you will need to budget 0.75-1.00 per chip for custom ceramics from ABC or SunFly. Custom is always more expensive than stock, for quite obvious reasons. Group buy prices for a single design gets a price break for economies of scale because design and other set up fees are distributed over a much larger amount of chips than would (normally) be bought by a single person.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account and join our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Back
Top Bottom