Vaccinated Poker Night.... (1 Viewer)

Longflop, looks like a great idea. There will be no exact science telling any of us when it will be fully "safe" to play home games. My biggest annual home game is a March Madness poker day. It was scheduled for March 19th. So, I told my attendees that the only people able to attend are either vaccinated or already had it. It turned out that only a very small number of people would meet that criteria, so I cancelled it for the second year in a row.

I already had Covid back in December, so it's not about me. I will not host a game that has any significant risk of spreading a pandemic in my community. I'm not even attending games for the same reason. I will be pumped to either host or attend my first vaccinated poker night! Good luck with yours!

I don't really know as I am not an expert. I do believe that older people and people with other chronic diseases/illnesses and particularly respiratory issues are more likely to die then otherwise healthy people. It seems to me that we can not prevent everyone from dying. Everyone eventually gets old and dies from something. I know that if I didn't drive a car that would drastically reduce my odds of dying in a car crash, yet I still drive my car just about daily......

Since I have never even heard of this condition I had to look it up. What I found sounds scary, but is it really all that bad? Honestly, once again I am not an expert but it sounds like most of the time people recover and there are no lasting effects. It sounds like in severe cases it is possible that there are lasting effects. I have not done enough research to know if severe cases and lasting effects are in 50% of the people or in .00000001% of the people.

I actually went to Canterbury yesterday and played for the 1st time in a yr. They check your temp before you are allowed in, masks are mandatory and there is plexi in between all the seats and the dealers etc & 6 max. They also have someone going around and cleaning the plexi and the rail after each player gets up and before the next one sits down. According to them, not one case of COVID 19 has been attributed to the Card Room.

There were something like 15 tables running and most everyone was acting as if it was business as usual.

My point is that "at risk" is relative and arbitrary, and the responsible thing to do is just to hold on a little longer until a large percentage of the population are inoculated. The risk/reward ratio of jumping the gun here is still pretty high. We're so close, it would be a shame to kill a bunch more people needlessly right as the end is in sight.

Comparing it to car crashes is a silly strawman, car accidents aren't contagious, and for most people, driving is necessary for survival. Poker just isn't, it's a luxury and should be treated as such.

FWIW, immunity lasts far longer than 6 months for people who have contracted covid already. There are very very few people who have been confirmed to have been infected twice (dozens to low hundreds out of hundreds of millions of people depending on which dataset you look at). Catching it twice within a year would be like getting struck by lightning while golfing.

FWIW, immunity lasts far longer than 6 months for people who have contracted covid already. There are very very few people who have been confirmed to have been infected twice (dozens to low hundreds out of hundreds of millions of people depending on which dataset you look at). Catching it twice within a year would be like getting struck by lightning while golfing.
Also, the best capacity of our immunity system is "memory". So even if you don't have any antibodies left (for instance, I did Covid few months ago but very lightly, almost asymptomatic and I did not have a lot of antibodies created compared to the other members of my families being more severely hit by Covid) your body will remember "the thread" and re-create antibodies more efficiently. So it's possible that you get Covid twice but the second time will be lighter than the first one.

https://www.bmj.com/content/372/bmj.n124#

This study in the BMJ has a slightly different story to tell about reinfections.

NHS staff who volunteered for the study were assigned to either the positive cohort (antibody positive or prior polymerase chain reaction (PCR) antibody test positive) or negative cohort (antibody negative, not previously known to be PCR antibody positive). They attended regular PCR and antibody testing (every two to four weeks) and completed fortnightly questionnaires on symptoms and exposures.

Between 18 June and 9 November 2020, 20 787 staff (84% female, 88% white, median age 45.9) were included in this analysis, of whom 6614 (32%) were assigned to the positive cohort and 14 173 (68%) to the negative cohort.

The researchers detected 44 potential reinfections in the positive cohort, 15 (34%) of which were symptomatic. Some 42 were defined as possible (two positive PCR samples 90 or more days apart, or a new PCR positive at least four weeks after an antibody positive result), and two were defined as probable (additionally required quantitative serological data or supportive viral genomic data). This compares with 318 new PCR positive infections (249 symptomatic) and 94 antibody seroconversions in the negative cohort.

The researchers calculated that adjusted odds ratio was 0.17 for all reinfections (95% confidence interval 0.13 to 0.24) compared with PCR confirmed primary infections, equating to 83% protection. The median interval between primary infection and reinfection was over 160 days.

So while not a huge number, there seems to be a significant number of people getting reinfected according to this study.

I'm curious to see which datasets you are using for your numbers.

MD is lifting more restrictions this Friday. If things keep trending this way, I am hopeful we will be able to have a second table, provided people qualify. I've currently got a full table of 10 and 3 on the waitlist, all of which who hit the qualifications I put out.

This is good news!

Room is set up. 12 players tonight, all have been verified. Getting excited.
20210410_130653.jpg

I missed this what’s the concept behind Jamfest? Sounds fun.
So, once and a while we do a pregame "all in or fold" round. Only actions are all in, or fold. No calling or raising. Start with 1/4 your stack. At the end of the blinds, you get 3/4 of your stack and keep your winnings for the rest of the tourney. Fun way to start a game with some bonus chips.

Busted out of tourney. On to cash game. Scrub donkeys on the table playing a mix of scrotum and sheshe.View attachment 675150
I once had a plan to laminate all of @abby99 game rules. I cut them all out. I bought the laminating sleeves. Yet, they remain undone. Since Covid, I just haven’t been motivated to finish poker projects. Makes me sad. But I’m glad to see more home games starting back up. Maybe my regular games will fire up soon.

I once had a plan to laminate all of @abby99 game rules. I cut them all out. I bought the laminating sleeves. Yet, they remain undone. Since Covid, I just haven’t been motivated to finish poker projects. Makes me sad. But I’m glad to see more home games starting back up. Maybe my regular games will fire up soon.
Are you interested in the game rules plaque group buy?

There is indeed.
Thanks @Saoliver !
I'm gonna share the link here for everyone who's curious as well:
Thread 'LAST CALL Order Thread for 3.5" x 5.75" Mixed Game Plaques on Plastic Card Stock Group Buy' https://www.pokerchipforum.com/thre...laques-on-plastic-card-stock-group-buy.68582/

I'm confused. The conversation here seems to be about a plaque group buy for poker rules. But this is a link to mixed game plaques, or plastic cards rather, but I don't see anything about poker rules. Am I missing something?

Thanks. I misunderstood. I thought you guys were talking about a rules plaque for your poker room to hang on the wall. As in a house rules plaque of some sort.
:unsure: I think you might be on to something. Is it possible to fit it on a reasonably-sized plaque?

This guy is scarily close to where I am on most issues. Scary because of his more radical history I believe (haven't looked into his history all that much.....)

OF COURSE you will need more shots AND pills

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account and join our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Back
Top Bottom