USPS shipping with fragile (1 Viewer)

yone

Straight
Reaction score
I have received 3 packages that were stamped with Fragile stamped on it. All three of them seems like they played soccer with the boxes! These were all sent at different times. The pictures are the three different packages. The second package actually had damaged chips and the third package, the Bud Jones boxes were all broken :(
Has anyone else experienced this?
91BACFD5-3709-4B24-9580-22F094E5F02D.jpeg
1E424186-A113-412B-9010-79B2347B5D05.jpeg
4F6CA24D-DDC7-4DD0-9556-46B4513E6CDE.jpeg

I’ve had broken bud jones boxes but never that type of brutal package damage. We’re they packed full to prevent them from being squashed if other heavy boxes were stacked on top?

That’s ugly.

Being priority boxes also, they aren't in the system for long.

Looks like you have an asshole working at your local post office.

I have received 3 packages that were stamped with Fragile stamped on it. All three of them seems like they played soccer with the boxes! These were all sent at different times. The pictures are the three different packages. The second package actually had damaged chips and the third package, the Bud Jones boxes were all broken :(
View attachment 421028 View attachment 421029View attachment 421031
Never like that, no. But I have to ask, how many chips per box? How heavy was the package? I know they say if it fits, it ships, but if you have to box over loaded, it's gonna wind up roughed up. As a rule of thumb, I never ship more than 6 racks in a MFRB, but would rather only put 4-5 racks. Sure I can fit more, but then its too heavy IMO and shit like what happened to your packages can occur. :(

Now if there were 5 or fewer racks in that package, then you need to kick your mailman in the nutsack. ;)

Being priority boxes also, they aren't in the system for long.

Looks like you have an asshole working at your local post office.

Personally i would file a complaint. Go down to the local PO and do it. And then do it online higher up.

Take photos as well. Not sure anything will come of it. but its a start.

When I opened the box, everything seemed to be packaged fine. They had to have thrown them or they fell from a high place. But with the weight of those boxes why would anyone stack them on a high place.

Never like that, no. But I have to ask, how many chips per box? How heavy was the package? I know they say if it fits, it ships, but if you have to box over loaded, it's gonna wind up roughed up. As a rule of thumb, I never ship more than 6 racks in a MFRB, but would rather only put 4-5 racks. Sure I can fit more, but then its too heavy IMO and shit like what happened to your packages can occur. :(

Now if there were 5 or fewer racks in that package, then you need to kick your mailman in the nutsack. ;)
The last 2 was 600 or under. One of them there was chip damage.

Last edited:
I have tried to double box before to ship out, but gave up because it was difficult to close. Do you have any tips on how to double box?

USPS workers think the word Fragile means "do as much damage as possible to the item". Never write/stamp Fragile on any package through USPS.

F’in USPS.
TWO separate shipments of the same thing in a tube that I could kill you with if I hit you over the head.
someone had to purposefully use a fulcrum to bend these two tubes in half.
4964EC00-1275-4E46-A2C6-0D661DDE285D.jpeg
1F9CA8FA-03E3-4FA0-B1CE-D0B719445D8F.jpeg
2E45EF07-8CC7-40F4-80D7-C7DEE6F0C45B.jpeg
2E45EF07-8CC7-40F4-80D7-C7DEE6F0C45B.jpeg
74951EC0-D9DB-4BFB-B38A-FFF6F2282E26.jpeg
A0466B66-D1C2-40EF-9669-D3A5E508E6FA.jpeg
7990B2E0-189D-4C1A-B593-1E1EE34C7F27.jpeg

Attachments

• 093AD062-74F1-4A28-8347-7F0F07E89F1D.jpeg
    093AD062-74F1-4A28-8347-7F0F07E89F1D.jpeg
    28.1 KB · Views: 79
Yep any MFRB I’ve receive marked fragile has been more beat up than any (no matter the weight) MFRB I’ve received otherwise. All it takes is one disgruntled package handler (there must be thousands of them) to say “screw this person, like I wouldn’t be careful if it didn’t say fragile” and they think that’s a good reason to do the opposite. Never mark anything fragile. If it is fragile, pack it like it’s fragile and insure it like it’s fragile.

I’ve shipped 1000 chips in an MFRB with no issues. ALWAYS double box MFRBs and ALWAYS tape all the edges so they don’t blow out like in the OP. Sorry this happened.

View attachment 421028 View attachment 421029View attachment 421031
Very poor shipping practices, imo:
  • Always double-box Priority MFR or LFR boxes, SFR boxes are inseted into a padded FR Envelope.
  • Always tape the entire exterior box surface at least twice (once in each direction, minimum)
  • Always secure the contents into a single bubble-wrapped brick within the box (to prevent content spillage if box is compromised)
  • Never write 'FRAGILE' on box exteriors (open invitation for postal abuse).
  • Always write 'HEAVY' on the box exterior if you can't pick it up with one hand, or if it could damage your foot if dropped (this is typically appreciated by postal workers as a heads-up).
Chances are that doing ANY of those five things would have prevented damage to contents, but doing ALL five steps virtually guarantees it won't happen.... and there is no acceptable reason for not doing so.

In your case, file formal complaints with the seller/shipper, USPS, and eBay/Paypal (if applicable), and don't relent until you get resolution to your satisfaction. Any insurance claim will need to be filed by the seller/shipper, not the package receiver.

Last edited:
Last edited:
Not sure if this applies in America, but with Canada Post, writing fragile on the box voids the insurance because "fragile items aren't covered under the insurance"

Here's an article of someone who wasn't aware and complained to the news: https://toronto.ctvnews.ca/items-labelled-as-fragile-not-covered-by-canada-post-if-damaged-1.3299065. Canada Post used to give out free fragile labels with this disclaimer (photo from Google image search):
View attachment 638404
Looks like this only applies to glass and ceramics. Does that mean clay chips are covered but ceramic chips are not? ;)

It seems that postal workers view the word “Fragile” as a challenge.
I’ve read many claims over the years that that’s exactly the case. It could certainly be a selection bias sort of thing, but I’ll just say that I believe this story of the three squashed packages and I’m not surprised by it.

I shipped out several birdcage style carriers which were broken upon arrival, all of my claims were denied. Apparently Canada Post / USPS do not cover fragile items.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account and join our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Back
Top Bottom