USPS Service (1 Viewer)

Ali G

Sitting Out
Reaction score
Hi,

I haven't been shipping chips for a while but lately shipped several chips. Seems like USPS shipping is taking longer than I recall in the last couple years. Is that my imagination or are you seeing the same? I'm not bashing the USPS I think they have a thankless job. Just curious what everyone thinks. I'm sure cancelled flights due to Covis19 might be having an impact.

Thoughts?

Bob

It hasn’t been very significant for me. Earlier, shipments would take one or two days longer than usual, but now, it’s pretty much the same as before covid for me. Can’t speak for others though.

Hi,

I haven't been shipping chips for a while but lately shipped several chips. Seems like USPS shipping is taking longer than I recall in the last couple years. Is that my imagination or are you seeing the same? I'm not bashing the USPS I think they have a thankless job. Just curious what everyone thinks. I'm sure cancelled flights due to Covis19 might be having an impact.

Thoughts?

Bob
There is definitely a breakdown in the system with respect to international. (USA to CAN)

Here is an example, conincidentally taking place today, of a delay of my MFRB reship. Typically, this shipping route was 5-7 business days from shipment to my mailbox. I've also got 3 more packages behind it, including an LFRB :nailbite:

EDIT : it's important to note, that Canada Post has advised me of a delay of up to 12 business days to make the delivery. So not just USPS is feeling the pinch of COVID. I applaud USPS for still running pretty good on some level. I do alot of shipping within USA, and everything is pretty good still. International stuff is whacko!
Screenshot_20200803-203149.jpg

Last edited:
The couple Priority shipments I have sent in the past few months have taken 4-5 days instead of 2-3, but there is language all over the website saying to expect delays.

Pre-Covid, and even during the first few months, packages cleared Canada Customs within an hour of arrival. My last package spent over three weeks in limbo between the airport and Canada Customs. I called both Canada Post and Canada Border Services to find out what the problem was, and they laughed at me and said that currently anything less than 6 weeks is a bonus. Apparently the volume of packages has more than tripled from pre-Covid volumes.

Locally, we aren't getting mail service every day. Its regularly discussed on our Next Door app. Not sure how widespread issues are.

I ship stuff all the time, there's without a doubt delays for all shipments as of 2-3 months ago. USPS, fedex, UPS, puralator, Canada Post, etc, all of them.

Have been experiencing a significant back up on packages, whether coming or going. However, they do ultimately arrive at some point.

Delays should be expected with so many people working from home now, ordering all items online, etc. The packages in general are way higher than normal. I know so many using online shopping for everything now. I don't think they have adjusted to the workload with new hires due to the covid bs. It's understandable since no one knows or sees an end to it.

It's a compounding issue. The postal service is experiencing their own issues with staff being out for covid related issues as well as increased mail volume so this creates huge issues. Add to that the fact that certain distribution centers are being hit harder than others and particular times and it can mean even tighter bottle necks in sporadic areas.

I know the St. Louis distribution center in particular about 3 weeks ago was very swamped between riots, extra packages, and staff being out.

I've personally experience major delays and had to open multiple lost package inquiries in the last 6 weeks. All but one eventually broke loose once the inquiry was opened. With my last one in particular I was told by the service rep that packages from places like Amazon are getting priority throughput based off their contracts that they have with those providers. Small mail moves easier than larger flat rate boxes as well according to them. So padded envelopes or regular envelopes seem to be delayed much less than things in boxes.

Its just a shitty situation. I'll be the first to admit that I get just as angry as the next guy when my packages go MIA. All I can recommend from my personal experience is that if its been over 10-14 days delayed to open up a lost package inquiry. Its worked for me in all but one case.

There's nothing like looking forward to a shipment or two with tracking info, monitoring the status on the USPS website, happily seeing them arrive and processed at the distro center the day before expected delivery, only to notice the status changed to "In transit, arriving late" either the day of or after the package(s) should've arrived.

TeddyKGB.Unsatisfied.gif

I guess that I’ve been lucky. I’ve received a couple of packages from the east coast to CA in 2 days! Can definitely see the frustration with some of the shipments that have been significantly delayed. When it’s all said and done, hopefully everyone receives their stuff!

With all the covid & customs troubles...I researched USPS VS DHL

for a 1400 chip set (based on a $430 value incl shipping; real value about $2000)

USPS
->1 large & 1 medium international flat rate box ($102+$79) import charge & VAT customs ($35+$95) & handling fee BPost ($30) = $341
->delivery in 1-3 months (4 real)

DHL
-> $180 + $90 (pre charged customs fee) = $270
-> delivery in 5 - 7 days

Still working out some details but if it works out...no more USPS for set ever (buying or selling)

for a 1400 chip set (based on a $430 value incl shipping; real value about $2000)

USPS
->1 large & 1 medium international flat rate box ($102+$79) import charge & VAT customs ($35+$95) & handling fee BPost ($30) = $341
->delivery in 1-3 months (4 real)

DHL

Still working out some details but if it works out...no more USPS for set ever (buying or selling)
The only thing that I can say about my personal experiences with DHL. I've had 2 packages ever delivered by DHL. One was a television, the other was a lawn mower and both of them were broken upon delivery. Obviously these were much larger deliveries but both of them were damaged to the point I had to have them replaced.

Honestly though I hope there is a cheaper option to Europe, it's silly how expensive it is.

So I was thinking that shipping UPS would be a safer more reliable option than USPS, well I was wrong, spent over double to ship a package to Oregon and now the item has gone missing in the Portland facility since Tuesday. Was a rather expensive package as well.

I know it may be a little early to worry but the wait to figure out what is going on is brutal. I finally got through to UPS and they are starting an investigation.

Last edited:
Honestly though I hope there is a cheaper option to Europe, it's silly how expensive it is.
If you know any servicemembers or diplomats stationed overseas, that's the only real way to ship packages with any sort of "cheapness" to Europe or the East unfortunately.

If you know any servicemembers or diplomats stationed overseas, that's the only real way to ship packages with any sort of "cheapness" to Europe or the East unfortunately.

no...APO box is the nuts
In case we still have US army members stationed in EU, please hit me up ;)

USPS
->delivery in 1-3 months (4 real) Coyote's comment in red: With NEVER being a real possibility

DHL

This ^^

From US to Paris :

Chiproom Cap G = 2 moths with USPS
Chiproom Isle = 2 moths with USPS
ST Ysabel = Only 2 weeks WTF with USPS
Mardi Gras = Almost 3 moths !!!! with USPS

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account and join our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Back
Top Bottom