USPS -- insurance claim stories (2 Viewers)

liftapint

Royal Flush
Supporter
Reaction score
So...I've had an ongoing debate with myself about the value of buying USPS insurance when shipping our beloved chips. I thought it was time to collect some data.

Have you ever had to file a USPS insurance claim, for a lost or damaged chip shipment?
Did USPS honor or deny that claim?

Do you usually insure USPS chip shipments for the full value?

Any other relevant stories would also be appreciated.

Have you ever had to file a USPS insurance claim, for a lost or damaged chip shipment? Yes, three times (that I can remember), two international, one domestic

Did USPS honor or deny that claim? Denied each time.

Do you usually insure USPS chip shipments for the full value? Yes and I don't know why.

I've never had to file a claim fwiw.

Do you usually insure USPS chip shipments for the full value?

I leave this up to the purchaser. If the value is over 400. I automatically add signature verification. I only add insurance if the purchaser wants it and pays for it.

Have you ever had to file a USPS insurance claim, for a lost or damaged chip shipment? Yes, three times (that I can remember), two international, one domestic

Did USPS honor or deny that claim? Denied each time.

Do you usually insure USPS chip shipments for the full value? Yes and I don't know why.

When they "deny" it. What is their reasoning for it? Or do they even provide one?

Thanks,

One claim ever out of maybe 500 mailed packages. Damaged board game box but not components. About a $50 item incl shipping. They credited the $50 very quickly and didnt ask a single question.

When they "deny" it. What is their reasoning for it? Or do they even provide one?

Thanks,

I don't remember if they provided a reason. They were all a long time ago. Not sure what the process is now but at the time I had to provide all sorts of paperwork (receipts, etc.).

All I remember is getting a letter saying my claim was denied. I disputed each one and lost every time.

I don't remember if they provided a reason. They were all a long time ago. Not sure what the process is now but at the time I had to provide all sorts of paperwork (receipts, etc.).

All I remember is getting a letter saying my claim was denied. I disputed each one and lost every time.

Thanks. Sounds like their "insurance" is a big scam.

I read once that an original receipt is required for a claim which disqualifies most of our chips. I have still paid for it just in case but I imagine it was wasted money.

I just dropped $9000 in chips off at the post office, and it makes my butt pucker a little bit. It's my impression that USPS will almost never pay insurance claims. But I thought it would be good to get some stories.

I've only had 1 instance. I was the shipment recipient. The box was had insufficient tape, and hardly any padding, and chips fell out of the box -- insurance claim was denied, and I can't say that I blame USPS for that.

I just dropped $9000 in chips off at the post office, and it makes my butt pucker a little bit. It's my impression that USPS will almost never pay insurance claims. But I thought it would be good to get some stories.

I've only had 1 instance. I was the shipment recipient. The box was had insufficient tape, and hardly any padding, and chips fell out of the box -- insurance claim was denied, and I can't say that I blame USPS for that.
Just reading this made me pucker lol. I might have gone with shipping multiple boxes on different days to try to cover some of my loss potential with a 9k deal. Fingers crossed for you!

Do not buy USPS insurance unless you have an original purchase receipt from a retailer. USPS insurance will not cover collectibles.

U-PIC all the way....

I still think about those lost Trop 1's and where on Earth they might be.
Uggghhh.

No issues yet. I had a package dropped off at a different house and marked as shipped once. After some emails to the buyer and around a week's time it luckily made it there.

I have never had to file a claim but then again I never use USPS insurance after hearing most all claims are denied. I use U-Pic insurance which is cheaper and has great reviews. It is the insurance that Amazon uses and protects against loss or damage. The cost for Conus Shipping is about $1 per $100 and $1.60 per.$100 for international sent via USPS.
I have not had to file a claim but this seems to be a better deal than what USPS sells

David

Well, I guess I should stop paying for the full insurance when I ship USPS. I usually just add it in no charge as a courtesy to the buyer. Guess I should have just sent them the extra cash in the box instead, for the good it might do.

I'll look into the U-PIC insurance next time.

I have never had to file a claim but then again I never use USPS insurance after hearing most all claims are denied. I use U-Pic insurance which is cheaper and has great reviews. It is the insurance that Amazon uses and protects against loss or damage. The cost for Conus Shipping is about $1 per $100 and $1.60 per.$100 for international sent via USPS.
I have not had to file a claim but this seems to be a better deal than what USPS sells

David

If you've never filed a claim, then it's uncertain whether it's a good deal or not. But it's perhaps just a cheaper deal. The issue is whether they will pay for claims of lost chips without an original invoice.

An original invoice can be provided to the purchaser by the seller of the chips so that can be worked around. I will use U-Pic if insurance is requested.

I have a login with them and was able to copy the following instructions for a claim filed for a package sent via USPS.

1. Fill this claim form completely and submit it within 90 days from the shipment date.
  2. For lost parcels you must wait 21 days for domestic and 45 days for International and APO/FPO shipments. For shipments to Italy you must wait 60 days before filing.
  3. Please submit the following pieces of information:
    1. A copy of the original invoice to the consignee.
    2. A signed letter from the consignee stating the following (An electronic buyer/consignee affidavit can be sent to the customer after the claim has been submitted):
      1. The date the package was mailed.
      2. The invoice or auction number.
      3. A description of the item.
      4. If the parcel was lost mention that the parcel was never received. If damaged describe the damage and whether or not the item is repairable.
      5. A dated signature.
    3. If this claim is for damage please state if repairs are possible, the cost of the repair and any salvage value if not repairable.
    4. If mailed with Delivery Confirmation, a copy of the tracking number.
  4. Postage costs are only recoverable if the freight value is declared in the insured value.
  5. If you have any questions, please call our office at (800) 955-4623, option 4 for claims.

Do not buy USPS insurance unless you have an original purchase receipt from a retailer. USPS insurance will not cover collectibles.

U-PIC all the way....
Would the purchase receipt from Jim be good enough?

Positive story with a decent ending - recently I sent some Ambassador Plaza chips off to a buyer via USPS priority mail. Package insured up to $50, which covered the value of the chips, so I didn't purchase additional. Package was damaged by the post office and some of the chips went missing. I refunded the appropriate amount to the buyer and emailed him a copy of the receipt. He was able to file and claim and it was approved. He received a payment from the USPS which he promptly forwarded to me.

9K is a nice down payment on a pair of snow mobiles!

Congrats Mel

Unfortunately, it went to pay the plumber to dig up my front yard (and to a set of semi-customs at CPC :D).
Snowmobiles...someday, I swear!

Edit: But good news -- all chip have arrived to domestic destinations (still waiting on a couple of international though).

I was secretly hoping that this thread would be lengthy with examples of people filing claims, and USPS refusing to pay out -- this would back my theory that insurance isn't worth the money. But I suppose the fact that there aren't many stories is an excellent outcome --- perhaps USPS just gets the job done (even though the boxes often look like they've gone to war, by the time they reach their destination).

USPS paid the only claim I have ever filed. An International SFRB box to Finland was returned to sender (long story, but a Finnish Post fuck-up), and the package never made it back to me (got close twice before finally getting totally lost).

Finnish Post almost immediately refunded the postage cost to the buyer once it was on the way back (since I was going to have to remail it).

Once it became lost, I suppied two printed copies of the eBay/PayPal transactions to USPS and they sent me a check for the total cost of contents and postage.

Sometimes, I think most insurances like this are a scam. Good info, though.

Thats encouraging because I would of never been comfortable with the idea of shipping something worth 10k via usps.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account and join our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Back
Top Bottom