Using junk science to sell new laws (1 Viewer)

All I know is that the State of Illinois's driver safety course says (paraphrasing here) that a truck will run your ass over if you stop too quickly in front of one.

I took that course recently, because (besides being a life-long learner who is always trying to improve myself) the brakes apparently weren't working in my car and my car was running at 10+ over the speed limit.

Seems to be all about the Benjamin's. Make the law more restrictive, more people break the law, more fines, more government revenue. There may be some safety argument, but I don't see it as a primary one.

We send all of our drivers through a Smith Driving System Safety course. Too many things that can go wrong when you are driving a fully loaded 80,000 pound tractor and tailer loaded with a combustible. In this business slamming the brakes usually results in a rollover since the tanks have a higher center of gravity. Never slam the brakes! Drive the truck to a stop.
It is not fun to watch how many idiots drive and do not take anything in consideration. Having been in ride alongs it is scary to see how people pull right out in front of an 80,000 pound fully loaded fuel truck.

Hey guys, I'll agree that east of the Mississippi River trucks should not travel more than 65-68 mph tops. But if any of you have driven out west in places like Texas, Utah, Arizona etc etc, 70 mph for any vehicle is like crawling.

I've driven in all those places, as well as extensively on German autobahns and various racetracks. I don't need large trucks doing over 70 on any of them. Especially the racetracks. (Who was the everlasting dumbass who came up with the idea to race 18-wheeler tractors up Pike's Peak?)

Actually. I remember when I used to cross from PA into Ohio on the turnpikes, and the Ohio signs just said "Drive Accordingly." Those were good days, when people acrually thought to keep to the right except when passing. Today's drivers are too stupid and self-absorbed to follow such simple rules.

Actually. I remember when I used to cross from PA into Ohio on the turnpikes, and the Ohio signs just said "Drive Accordingly." Those were good days, when people acrually thought to keep to the right except when passing. Today's drivers are too stupid and self-absorbed to follow such simple rules.

On December 31, 1999, Phish played a 7+ hour set to ring in the new millennium and it was covered by ABC as part of their general NYE coverage. When Phish came on the broadcast, Trey introduced the band and also made a PSA that the left lane is for passing only.

I wonder if I could make one announcement to millions of people what it would be. It never occurred to me to remind people of the importance of the passing lane, but if you're going to admonish the public, that seems like as a good point as any other.

I was hoping this thread was going to talk about global warming/cooling science, not truck braking distance. All I know about trucks are that I give them plenty of room, let them in with a flash of the lights, and make sure I can completely see the truck in my mirror before getting over in front of the truck. Truck drivers have a hard enough job, I don't want to make it harder.

....I wonder if I could make one announcement to millions of people what it would be. It never occurred to me to remind people of the importance of the passing lane, but if you're going to admonish the public, that seems like as a good point as any other.

Throw in yielding to the right and you've got a winner!

I wanted to come up with a witty remark, but I got sidetracked by the Aruba flag as your country. That's just bad ass. (y) :thumbsup:

Typical Tommy Trickery! :cool:

Now imagine how cool it would be if PCF somehow kept a record, maybe a personal profile thingy, of everywhere you'd ever posted from. Maybe not so cool for our middle-eastern contingent, but I figure the CIA's already tracking them anyway. :cool:

That means mass is not a factor in braking. Big truck at 80 mph, small car at 80 mph. Same / same.
This statement is false.

(What might be true is that for skid mark lengths, if there is an accident where there are skid marks, the length of the skid marks may not be directly related to the mass of a vehicle. But post-accident skid marks should not be confused with "breaking distance" or "stopping distance.")

Here is a link from the State of Utah's Department of Transportation showing (average) Car stopping distance in blue and (average) Semi tractor trailer braking distance in red. What is also apparent is that as speed increases, the stopping distance required also increases, and it does so exponentially.

Source: https://www.udot.utah.gov/trucksmart/stopping-distances.php
stopping_distances.jpg

Fact: Skid marks don't begin until the brakes lock.

When the brakes lock depends on many factors, one of which is definitely weight over the axle in question.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account and join our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Back
Top Bottom