Used vs Secondary/New (1 Viewer)

Vacuum

High Hand
Reaction score
How satisfied are others buying used/primary versus new/secondary?

While admittedly the sight of a well circulated white chip is nasty :vomit: I am not a germaphobe, and I like tinkering, so I wouldn't mind spending time cleaning, restoring, etc.....

The collecting side of this is appealing and I will likeley get into that. However, for starters I simply want a 500 chip set for use with my current circle of friends. We play with shit plastic dice chips and this needs to end. They are the worst. So many stacks knocked over if someone so much as coughs. So I want chips that stack well.

So for straight functionality. Specifically stacking. Big difference between used and new/nearly new? Or not so much?

I think it all depends on how they were stored. You can find used chips that are flat and just need some cleaning. And then there's used chips that are warped and will need flattening. And for that matter, you can find mint, uncirculated secondary chips that have slight warping (HSI $1a's, I'm looking at you!)

So, don't think of it as primary used vs secondary; consider the chip itself. Are you more likely to find used chips in worse condition? Sure. But it doesn't mean secondaries are perfect.

For me, it's a matter of the chip. Secondary colors are usually "nicer" IMO, and the fact that they are mint helps me build a nice set that will last for many years. But I've also got lots of primary chips as well (cleaned, flattened, and like tanks).

So for straight functionality. Specifically stacking. Big difference between used and new/nearly new? Or not so much?
It depends on how used they are, but generally speaking, no, there’s no difference in functionality between new chips and reasonably (not bike tire) used chips.

New is better for taller stacks I’d say. But if we’re talking compressed clay…used chips stack well too. Either would do the trick for you, coming from dice chips.

I think it all depends on how they were stored. You can find used chips that are flat and just need some cleaning. And then there's used chips that are warped and will need flattening. And for that matter, you can find mint, uncirculated secondary chips that have slight warping (HSI $1a's, I'm looking at you!)

So, don't think of it as primary used vs secondary; consider the chip itself. Are you more likely to find used chips in worse condition? Sure. But it doesn't mean secondaries are perfect.

For me, it's a matter of the chip. Secondary colors are usually "nicer" IMO, and the fact that they are mint helps me build a nice set that will last for many years. But I've also got lots of primary chips as well (cleaned, flattened, and like tanks).
I didn't know chips could be flattened. That new info for me. Thanks.

It also depends on budget and future plans.

Once you play mint chips they are no longer mint and will take a hit compared to mint prices. Used chips you can wash and return to a similar state (most monthly home games won't put noticable wear on chips).

Some people swap chips all the time, so may be a factor. I prefer mint chips and rarely sell chips (if ever).

Also, there's a difference between good condition leaded (Outposts) and brand new, mint, unleaded; the leaded THC chips stack really well and are not slippery, but I've found brand new, smooth, RHCs to be way more slippery.

It also depends on budget and future plans.

Once you play mint chips they are no longer mint and will take a hit compared to mint prices. Used chips you can wash and return to a similar state (most monthly home games won't put noticable wear on chips).

Some people swap chips all the time, so may be a factor. I prefer mint chips and rarely sell chips (if ever).
I get this. I don't see myself worrying about a truly new/mint chip taking a value hit but worth noting thanks. Maybe if I collect more but for now I am only thinking about function.

Example ?
To be honest, I think any new chips. The lack of weight in non-leaded Paulsons make them more prone to barrel instability. But as far as slippery RHCs, my god, the Terrible Fracs; they're all over the freaking place!

Edit: also my old Lady Luck $5s were very slipper and more prone to falling over for some reason.

To be honest, I think any new chips. The lack of weight in non-leaded Paulsons make them more prone to barrel instability. But as far as slippery RHCs, my god, the Terrible Fracs; they're all over the freaking place!

Edit: also my old Lady Luck $5s were very slipper and more prone to falling over for some reason.
This is what I want to avoid. I have a vision of brightly colored stacked chips that actually have to be knocked over.

I'm sure you all know what I mean. Stacks are beautiful.

Can't wait to be done with dice chips. I saw the recent "Dice Chip Death Row" thread and it made me happy. Murica.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account and join our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Back
Top Bottom