Use 'em or save 'em? (1 Viewer)

spencerlb

High Hand
Reaction score
Just got my first set of chalky new Paulson WTHC chips. They're incredible. Wondering if it's best to keep them on the shelf and look at them from time to time or put them into play. I have a set of Horseshoe Cleveland chips that I use for most of my home games but it's hard to reach for anything else with these bright new WTHCs just sitting there.

So is it best to keep as a collector's item and let them appreciate or shove them into the pot?

Thanks

Attachments

• IMG-0832.JPG
    IMG-0832.JPG
    131.8 KB · Views: 199
If your rationale for buying them is to hold onto them for another 5-10 years while the market becomes more inflated to sell them for $500 more than what you paid for them today, by all means keep them on the shelf.

Otherwise, play them and enjoy them!

If your rationale for buying them is to hold onto them for another 5-10 years while the market becomes more inflated to sell them for $500 more than what you paid for them today, by all means keep them on the shelf.

Otherwise, play them and enjoy them!
Even played they could be worth $400 more or maybe $1,000 less? You never know with poker chips so put them to use.

USE THEM!!!!!!!!!!!

So sad to think of the stacks and stacks of amazing chips collecting dust out there :(

Play I shall! Never thought about selling, more a pass down to the kids one day. But you're all right, would be a tragedy to keep them locked up away from all the action. Thanks for the quick responses!

I say play them too. And not to get too nitpicky, but those chips don't look at all chalky. They look like they've maybe been oiled, and I'd guess they've been played. I mention this because the only reason I can ever see for not playing with chips is if both, A) they're truly chalky mint, never touched chips, and B) you definitely plan to resell them. In that case, yes, preserve their chalky mintiness for the next guy. But that doesn't sound like what's happening here, so use them as intended!

How many chips do you have? How often do you host or get a set of yours in play? :rolleyes: :p
A. I honestly have no idea. I tried counting just sets the other day by memory, and lost track sometime after 20. And then spent the next two or three days sporadically 'remembering' sets I'd forgotten to include. So probably 25-ish sets and roughly 30,000-ish chips, give or take 15%. I really don't know. More than I need. Fewer than I want. A lot.

B. Pre-Covid, about once per month over the last few years (two events -- usually one set for both, sometimes two sets), but nothing since February, and likely won't resume before July. But nearly all sets have seen play at least once, or are planned to be used (some are still in-progress, or recently completed). It's tough to not always just pick one of your favorite four or five sets, and give 'em all an equal shot on the felt. I've probably let a dozen sets go in the last three years.... and picked up or completed another six new sets during that time.

They are gorgeous.

Use them. Enjoy them, With the frequency and duration of a typical home game they will see almost no wear.

Using them in a home game won't put much wear on them. Just don't shuffle them much. You can wear paulsons down in a hurry by shuffling.

Using them in a home game won't put much wear on them. Just don't shuffle them much. You can wear paulsons down in a hurry by shuffling.
I guess the terms "wear" and "hurry" are relative. But if you're gonna freak out if you or your guests are shuffling the chips (you know, as people do) then maybe you shouldn't be playing with them.

Poker chips were designed for playing poker. Let ‘em see felt and enjoy!

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account and join our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Back
Top Bottom