USA Women beat Canada for Gold Medal in hockey (1 Viewer)

legend672

Full House
Reaction score
IMG_2450.JPG
great game with a wonderful performance by Little house on the Prairie star Melissa Gilbert in net fir the USA. Condolences go out to our many Canadian chippers who won't sleep at all tonight after this brutal loss

View attachment 156015 great game with a wonderful performance by Little house on the Prairie star Melissa Gilbert in net fir the USA. Condolences go out to our many Canadian chippers who won't sleep at all tonight after this brutal loss

They've slept well enough over the last twenty years!

Was a great game!

Sorry, moose, as much as I agree with you in terms of the silliness of using the shoot-out, them is the rules. Win some lose some, it all works out in the end.

Congratulations to our neighbours to the south. Enjoy that Gold Medal, ladies, we'll be back for it in four years.

It is amazing that a country with only 2% of the population able to ice skate can win a gold in hockey. Next thing you know that Tonga dude will be ski jumping like the Norwegians.

Of course, I'm sad to see our women lose, but I kinda felt like it was a bit of karma after Marie-Philip Poulin's brutal hit on Brianna Decker:

upload_2018-2-22_9-29-6.png

It's shameful that she was not tossed from the game (which are the rules for head hits), let alone given a penalty. (The refs were pretty terrible throughout.)

That said, I hate-hate-hate settling gold-medal hockey games with a shootout. Regular season NHL games, sure fine, it's exciting and ultimately probably doesn't matter much, but why do it in a final?

When the WSOP main event gets down to heads-up, do they just cut for high card to decide the winner? No.

When there's a tie at the Masters, do they just have a longest-drive competition to decide the winner? No.

So why on earth is it a good idea to settle an OLYMPIC GOLD MEDAL game with a coin-toss shootout ... how about playing actual hockey until there's a winner??

Congrats to USA women's hockey on the win.

Sigh. See you in Beijing 2022.

That said, I hate-hate-hate settling gold-medal hockey games with a shootout. Regular season NHL games, sure fine, it's exciting and ultimately probably doesn't matter much, but why do it in a final?
My thoughts exactly. In a playoff/finals situation? Have’em play until they drop it until the pick goes in a basket.

It is amazing that a country with only 2% of the population able to ice skate can win a gold in hockey. Next thing you know that Tonga dude will be ski jumping like the Norwegians.

I worked as a skate guard for about 4 years during college. I seriously doubt the percentage is that high. All I did all day is pick people up off the ice.

Olympics games without Russia it's not real olympics games imo !

they were laundered by the sports court !
Against multiple athletes? Doubtful. The chain of poession and control methods used for these things make it difficult for tampering to occur undetected, let alone to occur for multiple samples across multiple athletes in different sports & training camps.

But...

it was a political attack against Russia
I'd believe that.

I assume that most countries (not most athletes - most countries) are cheating, but it would be bad for the IOC if that news got out. So I just figure the powers that be simply ignore all of it until they're mad at a country, and then that country gets flagged for doping.

It wouldn't shock me if as many as 20% of all Olympic athletes are doping. Too much money on the line to think that folks aren't angle-shooting there.

Was Russia unfairly targeted? Possibly. But I don't believe for a second that most - if even a single one - of those banned athletes were actually clean.

Against multiple athletes? Doubtful. The chain of poession and control methods used for these things make it difficult for tampering to occur undetected, let alone to occur for multiple samples across multiple athletes in different sports & training camps.
https://www.google.fr/amp/s/amp.the...ned-courts-of-arbitration-for-sport-athletics

I'd believe that.

I assume that most countries (not most athletes - most countries) are cheating, but it would be bad for the IOC if that news got out. So I just figure the powers that be simply ignore all of it until they're mad at a country, and then that country gets flagged for doping.

It wouldn't shock me if as many as 20% of all Olympic athletes are doping. Too much money on the line to think that folks aren't angle-shooting there.

Was Russia unfairly targeted? Possibly. But I don't believe for a second that most - if even a single one - of those banned athletes were

a well-known example was the 1992 NBA dream team in Barcelona. to come they asked for no anti-doping control and did not reside in the Olympic Village otherwise they did not come!

View attachment 156015 great game with a wonderful performance by Little house on the Prairie star Melissa Gilbert in net fir the USA. Condolences go out to our many Canadian chippers who won't sleep at all tonight after this brutal loss

Slept just fine. The USA has been beating us everywhere but at the olympics, so this didn't come as a big surprise. Congrats

P.S. at least we still have a shot at the men's gold, which means way more anyway;)

I won’t be sleeping tonight, men’s curling final until probably 2am. Men’s hockey at 5 am. Then I’ve got to try and stay awake to pick up my father in law at 10am, and I’ve had a few whiskies....

On the lighter side, I suppose it’s been a reasonable amount of time since my wife has threatened to kill me so maybe I’m overdue.

Slept just fine. The USA has been beating us everywhere but at the olympics, so this didn't come as a big surprise. Congrats

P.S. at least we still have a shot at the men's gold, which means way more anyway;)

So much for that idea. Maybe the men can grab that bronze in curling or hockey. Tough times for the Canadians on the ice these days

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account and join our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Back
Top Bottom