Upright Arcade Cabinet (2 Viewers)

Leonard

Flush
Supporter
Reaction score
Thinking of getting an upright arcade cabinet that plays old '80s style games: Pac-Man, Joust, Galaga, etc.

Google is little help. There are models with new LCD flat screen displays and some with older displays that are supposed to be more authentic. Obviously, every site claims their version is the best.

Anybody with actual experience with these machines out there?

L

I know @RichardCranium has built one or two from scratch. He knows all the ins and outs of the electronics and display, buttons, switches, etc.

MAME arcade is the way to go. I was going to start up on one, when some family matters came up.

I bought a Raspberry Pi3 kit for that purpose. You can use their software to run all the games on virtually any system.

Check out the many YouTube videos on the subject.

I've been toying with the idea for years now. I really don't have the space so it will prob just remain a thought. Anyways i came across this raspberry pi forum a few weeks ago which seemed like a reasonable starting point. https://retropie.org.uk/

I had a full size Galaga machine a few years back (original, not a remake/update). Loved it... wish I never sold it.

I had a ms pacman cocktail setup before as well, really miss that as well. I think if I were to build one it would be in a cocktail type setup and then maybe use it also as a living room table.

Here is mine. I did a RPi3 using RetroPie and decided on a table top cabinet
IMG_20161104_215056.jpg
IMG_20161104_215114.jpg

I have built several (1 full size, two bartop) and restored several actual old skool cabinets.

I think first you need to figure out which games you want to play and single or multiple players. this will really drive the entire build / purchase.

I dabble quite a bit in the arcade collection circles and collect vintage machines. A few tips:
  • IMHO, vintage arcades should be the original game, in the original cabinet, with the original controls. The games just do not play the same on the multi-play consoles, but I get why folks get the multi-play.
  • Check your local Craigslist and malls, you can usually find folks restoring old cabinets into multi-plays for around $400-600
  • I'd make sure you get a good original cabinet from an awesome old school game with the multi-play installed
  • Make sure it has a ball-top joystick, and not a stick joystick
  • A lot of cities have arcade auctions where you can pick up electronic dart boards, bar top Quiz machines, juke boxes, and of course, vintage arcades at really cheap prices. It's Man Cave heaven.
Good luck!

Here is the holy grail home arcade (Not mine, I wish!), but he does live super close to me. A fun view (and drool)

http://thebasementarcade.com/mygames.htm

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account and join our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Back
Top Bottom