Underwhelmed with CPC Samples (1 Viewer)

That is a huge double edged sword. Samples set the standard. But if you get mint perfect in every way samples and then get a set and dislike the natural movement of an inlay (Cactus Pete's had this issue, but I was aware. Shaped inlays with edge designs can be off kilter and show white edges), you now have a unhappy customer and a multiple thousand dollar issue. Enough of those and you don't got a business anymore.

Samples should be a realistic example of the items you receive. If it has personality and the items are hand made, it's wise to reflect that. Gotta ride the line of honest, but good enough it's what a customer would want. In my opinion.

Holy Shit! Is this the first real, no BS, snarky, trolling post ever by @Josh Kifer ?!? :unsure: :eek:

Your complaints are warping and off center labels with a price point you think is high .......... Is it possible that you might just be one of the rare people (like me) that actually would prefer a good ceramic? Hop over to www.brpropoker.com and get you a sample set or two there. With the way ceramics are made the print is much easier to center, the chips are much less likely to warp due to heat, and the price point is a lot friendlier. Check them out.
No, stop. Those melted, warped chips are no good for evaluation purposes. I’m not bashing good ceramics - bropoker’s ceramics are a joy. But just make sure you get a fair comparison with non-melted clays.

Your complaints are warping and off center labels with a price point you think is high .......... Is it possible that you might just be one of the rare people (like me) that actually would prefer a good ceramic? Hop over to www.brpropoker.com and get you a sample set or two there. With the way ceramics are made the print is much easier to center, the chips are much less likely to warp due to heat, and the price point is a lot friendlier. Check them out.
Oh yes, I love them. Got samples of the Tiki Kings and NJ Skulls. But I think I’m actually digging the DDLMs the most. And you’re right, ceramics definitely satisfy my mild OCD. I plan on getting a set of these as well.

He was clearly hacked by Poppin
Nah ...... He does good once every so often. Now he will spend all day tomorrow whining like

ddEl1Ey8A58OI (1).gif

Very well could be the case, and as for the centering, I'd have no problem with a few outliers in a set. Just a little concerning that one out of my five was way off.

These look great and are more in line with other pics I've seen.

I ordered them directly from their site. They were packed pretty well too - each chip was in it's own plastic sleeve, in a bubble wrap lined package, so I can't imagine the heat would've gotten to them in transit like some are suggesting. Not ruling it out though.
I have 3 custom sets from ASM/CPS and each are nearly flawless. However i have received a few sets over the years (both CPC and Paulson) that were warped beyond my tolerance. These were all shipped to me when temps were very high i.e. 100F or higher. Long story is I never purchase chips during Summer months...and even September here in Texas.

So, in this case, this issue is heat damage. I ordered this exact sample set just 6 weeks ago and they showed up like this in central Florida. I reached out to David at CPC and he confirmed heat damage and sent me a new set which I made sure to pull out of the mail box immediately and those were perfectly flat and round.
This is kind of weirding me out.

General Question - if you put a set of CPC chips in your trunk in summer and drove a few hours, could they possibly come out warped? Would Paulson do this also?

General Question - if you put a set of CPC chips in your trunk in summer and drove a few hours, could they possibly come out warped? Would Paulson do this also?
It's been discussed here before that CPCs are definitely more sensitive to heat at lower temperatures than Paulsons, and can warp easier.

Any clay chip will warp from heat.

Because that's where I put stuff like luggage and backpacks and groceries and heavy cases o'stuff.

Because my car was full of my family or fellow poker players.

Because I had no idea compression molded clay chips could possibly be damaged by heat in my trunk.
Chips > than all those things haha

This isn't meant to bash CPC or anything like that. I'm just curious if anyone else has experienced this or if this is the norm for CPC.. I've done quite a bit of research and it seems that a ton of people classify CPC as the best poker chips that are currently being sold to the general public out of production, so I was really excited to receive my samples of the Rounders stock chips. I'm pretty underwhelmed. While the chips feel great, there just seem to be quite a bit of inconsistency between the chips (crooked inlays, don't sit flush on top of eachother, etc). Have you guys had/heard any similar experiences or is this just what to expect from CPC? I know this may seem a bit nitpicky, but if I'm paying for more than $2/chip, I would just expect a little bit better quality.

View attachment 967797View attachment 967798View attachment 967800

Those are heavily warped. Ask CPC to send a new sample.

Of course. "Real American clay" chips, both CPC and Paulson, must be protected from extreme heat and extreme cold.
Ceramics and high-end plastics are definitely more extreme temperatures-proof.

And, to the OP: These chips have been clearly damaged. CPC does an exceptional job. I 've had more than 3,500 chips from them with no quality issue, and customer service has been excellent.

Oh yes, I love them. Got samples of the Tiki Kings and NJ Skulls. But I think I’m actually digging the DDLMs the most. And you’re right, ceramics definitely satisfy my mild OCD. I plan on getting a set of these as well.
You’ll probably love Matsuis and Abbiatis then.

You’ll probably love Matsuis and Abbiatis then.
I have samples from CPC and BRPRO on the way, so thanks for the reference I need to check them out too. Looking for whatever the right mix of price and quality is..... maybe that doesn't exist.

I have samples from CPC and BRPRO on the way, so thanks for the reference I need to check them out too. Looking for whatever the right mix of price and quality is..... maybe that doesn't exist.
For custom clays and custom non-clays those are both your cheapest, best options, probably. Especially if you want new.

But, the quality of Matsui and Abbiati, particularly the images, colors, etc., generally makes all other non-clays look underwhelming. If you think you’re a ceramics, plastics or hybrids person, I suspect you will be impressed by them. They aren’t cheap though, and getting a custom set, outside of a small group buy, is new Paulson expensive.

There are plenty of reasons people don’t like them, too slippery, the sound, etc., but they are some nice looking chips.

Also, you’re super new here - 3 posts? - so I would encourage you to search for these names and do lots of research, get samples, etc. There’s a ton of good information here, especially in completed GB posts.

For example:

Matsui: https://www.pokerchipforum.com/threads/matsui-zen-group-buy-2021.80718/

Abbiati: https://www.pokerchipforum.com/thre...b-order-thread-cash-and-tourney-closed.52100/

Good luck!

Last edited:
It's possible they used chips that were rejected to form that sample. I can tell you that none of the problems you listed above appeared in the 1200 chips I recieved from them on an actual order.
View attachment 967808
I have to agree.

I have a 1200 set of CPC Rounders. Stock designs. Not a single warped chip that I can see.

I have seen other people complain in the past, about warped samples. I’d say some get rejected for samples and also like @JeepologyOffroad says, gotta be some hot weather warping for sure. It’s just so dam hot in certain places.

I would not let the sample deter you. I can understand if you simply don’t like em, but I’d not let that sample be a measuring tool regarding CPC quality. It’s up there. I got a dozen games on my set and they still feel sharp as when I got them. Really durable. Take falls. I love em!

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account and join our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Back
Top Bottom