Ultrasonic clean before or after inlay removal? (2 Viewers)

JMC9389

Royal Flush
Supporter
Reaction score
I haven't seen this anywhere when I searched for an answer.

I have two racks of Paris $1's that are a tad dirty but are otherwise in great shape that I'm going to do inlay removal on.

Is it better to ultrasonic clean the chips before or after removing the inlays? Does it even matter? Why? Thanks ahead of time for the help and guidance! Truly clueless otherwise.

I would do it after. It can clean remove any slight residue of glue etc. and if you’re going to oil them before labeling you can get that done without worrying about getting any on the new labels

I think it depends on overall chip condition and what else needs to be done. For example, if the chips are just dirty, and all you want to do is murder/replace inlay, then sure, do it after to remove inlay residue.

But what if you need to flatten the chips because you want to mill them to remove the inlay/stamp? Then I would suggest cleaning first to prevent baking the dirt in during the flattening process.

I would do it after. It can clean remove any slight residue of glue etc. and if you’re going to oil them before labeling you can get that done without worrying about getting any on the new labels
I have zero experience with relabeling chips, so take this with a big grain of salt and go with those who have actual experience. That said, I have lots of experience working with metals, woodworking, auto paint, etc. Generally speaking, adhesives don't like oiled surfaces. I would probably remove the labels first, then put the chips in the ultrasonic cleaner so you have the cleanest surface for the adhesive to stick to, then label your chips, then would oil the chips after.

Generally speaking, adhesives don't like oiled surfaces. I would probably remove the labels first, then put the chips in the ultrasonic cleaner so you have the cleanest surface for the adhesive to stick to, then label your chips, then would oil the chips after.
I would usually agree with this, and it's also the way I would do it (barring my comments above about flattening). However Gear's FAQs says that EITHER way works; like you can oil and THEN put on the label (as long as the oil has absorbed for long enough). I was shocked by this, and I think some members here have done it and confirmed it's fine.

But man, I would be so nervous about ANY oil interfering with the label.

Yeah, I was concerned about that too and also saw Gear’s faq. I just completed my first relabel project and did the US after removing labels and then oiled all the chips. Just put Gears labels on them and they are just fine. Only caveat is it took about five months to get the labels so they had plenty of time to absorb and dry out. Very happy with the results…

24B75555-12C6-4F72-B4DC-0C24A8F72E3C.jpeg

Ultrasonic after inlay removal, but DO NOT oil the faces of the chips after ultrasonic'ing or labels will not adhere well. Edges are fine, and oil won't affect labels at all unless you like soak them in it.

I have zero experience with relabeling chips, so take this with a big grain of salt and go with those who have actual experience. That said, I have lots of experience working with metals, woodworking, auto paint, etc. Generally speaking, adhesives don't like oiled surfaces. I would probably remove the labels first, then put the chips in the ultrasonic cleaner so you have the cleanest surface for the adhesive to stick to, then label your chips, then would oil the chips after.
Yes and no on chips. It's better to oil after, but if you give it a few weeks and the oil is soaked in on the inlay area, it won't affect it. You just open yourself up if you oil then apply right after, if you got any on the inlay area.

Yeah, I was concerned about that too and also saw Gear’s faq. I just completed my first relabel project and did the US after removing labels and then oiled all the chips. Just put Gears labels on them and they are just fine. Only caveat is it took about five months to get the labels so they had plenty of time to absorb and dry out. Very happy with the results…

View attachment 990790
These look great!

Remove inlay first, then ultrasonic. Your choice of which order to do the relabel and oil, but if you do oil first then give it some time (at least a few days) before putting new label on.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account and join our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Back
Top Bottom