Truck Restoration (1 Viewer)

99%evil

Straight
Reaction score
I keep posting pics in the "post a pic of your recent purchase" forum of the parts I keep buying for my 1984 Chevy K10 restoration. I feel like I'm posting too much there and should have started a thread a while ago.

I bought a 1984 Chevy K10 4X4 pickup this past fall with the intention of restoring it. I've always had pick ups my adult life up until the past 12 yars or so when I've had company cars. I wanted a truck and figured I'd find one from my teen years that I had always liked. I had always thought the 70's and 80's Chevy "square body" trucks were the epitome of what an old school pickup was- bare bones, with some power. After searching a bit I eventually found a long-bed Chevy with low miles that would be a good base for my project, I drove an hour from my house and purchsaed the truck and drove it home with my son driving behind me - since I had no plates. The truck had 68,000 miles (supposed original, but who knows, could be 168,000) I didn't care, the frame was good and the body wasn't bad. It had a 305 V8 that wasn't running great, sounded like it was missing a cylinder when it ran, but it made it home. I planned on having the engine rebuilt anyway, so rough running didn't matter. After searching around I found a local mechaninc to rebuild my engine, after talking we decided to pick up a decent 350 engine and rebuild it. First block I bought appeared good, but after closer inspection had unforeseen issues and had to be scrapped. We found another block and ended grabbing Vortec heads to up the HP- hasd the block and heads gone over in a machine shop (heads bored 60 over so now it's a 357 ( Borat "Nice")). I just ordered new headers for the engine swap, but they are 6+ weeks out to be be built, so I will have to install them later. So after several winter months,finally the engine is built and tonight I drove the truck over to the mechanics house to do the engine swap. Still no plates, so my wife followed me (F the police) over to the mechanic's house. I'm excited to finally have the truck up and running, I'll keep posting pics on this post if anyone wants to follow. I'm going to get it looking almost showroom, but keep her rough enough that I won't fear picking up bark much at home depot.
IMG_0009.jpg

Last edited:
That’s absolutely awesome

I have a 76 1/2 ton 4WD back home I had as I kid I wana restore one day
Have another cab and my dads 3/4 ton to maybe make a diesel swap 3/4 ton
I have a LB7 here I’d like to put in an old C10 or square

Also have a C10 2WD 1969 survivor that’s all original. Just sitting would like to get it running and cleaned up and get it out of the dirt one day as well

I Love old Chevy square body pickups

I forgot to say that my wife and I named her "Ruth", inspired by the tough female character from the show Ozarks and my wife's very endeering and tough aunt that passed a few years ago.

Oh here are the headers, just picture what that would look like after they've colored from heat and patina- for the money I paid they will never rust.
29D849DE-8ECC-4267-B3B6-46E5C7A0C169.jpeg

Gotta love the old squarebodies... I had an '84 ¾-ton with a 350 in it, blew a head gasket, fixed it in the driveway... not like today's electronics. Donated to charity years ago after my stupid ass rear-ended a car, into another car, into another car. All three had to be towed, no injuries thank Jesus, and I still drove it home after the wrecker helped me pull the bumper off the front tires!

Hope you enjoy the hell out of her!

Jesus, for having a minor in English, I cannot form cohesive thoughts after 5 drinks on a mellow Sunday. It's like reading a half-whit's thoughts.

Sorry, I shouldn't post whilst buzzededed

pics above- last time the 305 sits inside this engine bay.

post 305ectomy- time to clean up and start to prime and paint

Having an issue uploading pics, sorry they are out of order

Last edited:
Engine bay cleaned up, primed and master cylinder brought to correct year colors. Final coat going on now and the engine she goes in tonight.
IMG_0747 3.jpg
IMG_0749.jpg
IMG_0751 5.jpg

What’s the transmission and TCase you using ??

I went through a couple Turbo350 in mine they really don’t hold up. A Turbo400 with a heavy towing package swap is a good upgrade.

I forget which one if it’s the NP205 that is the stronger gear driven TCase. I had the chain drive originally and in 4 low Getting out of a ditch I could hear the chain ping bouncing as the wheels would dig in. When I rebuilt the transmission we swapped in the gear drive one from my parts pickup

Are you doing an interior refurb Too?
That’s a way to tell the real mileage is wear in certain parts of the cab and drive line

It has a 700r4 trans- 4 speed. I believe it has the NP 208 TC since it's aluminum.

Doing a total restoration- not quite full frame off, all off except the cab. Frame is in excellent shape, which is odd for a nearly 40 year old New England truck. It lived in Maine for many of its years and in that state they track the odometer at registration( or at least they did). I checked dmv records and for two periods it sat for 10 years- it’s first 12 years it had less than 10,000 miles on it. Kind of bizarre- it looks like it had a dealer installed plow, also came with 4 shocks up front like it was purchased to plow. I’m thinking someone bought this truck to plow and for years didn’t use it. It does have some rusted through rockers that were bondoed- I’ll have to replace that before I can install carpet. There’s a little rust in the bed, but a 12”x12” piece will correct- then throw bed coating. Other rust at drivers side lower bed fender, but I can buy patch pieces and weld in.

Seats look like it has 68,000 miles- almost mint, but of course always suspect at this age. Pedals don’t show a ton of wear either. I’m not sure if she’s truly a 68,000 mile truck- but since the engine is new that’s out the window- everything will be gone over.

I’m going to do a small 2” lift so I can throw 32-33” tires- repaint the rallies to keep her classic looking- may take a yearf to get to the point I can repaint her, can’t wait for that- going to two tone black and metallic green.

I’m going to use this truck like a truck- so it won’t be show quality, but close enough. Still want to be able to run to Home Depot and grab shrubs and yard stuff but also take her to local diner for classic car night to show off.

There’s a lot to appreciate with these old vehicles that are still solid and moving along. Most of todays cars are built to recycle in 15 years- makes me sound old, but they don’t make them like they used to. And this is an 80’s truck, the older ones are even more rugged.
image.jpg

Would like it to look something like this at the end

Last edited:
Finally ready to go- headers still to come. Got this pic from the mech, but can’t pick it up until Sunday- heading out at 4:45 am for rabbit hunting….

I heard it running and it sounds evil- even with stock manifolds into a single muffler.

350 bored 40 over ( making her a 357 ) with vortec heads, cammed, balanced, blueprinted, Holley 650 double pumper 4 bbl carb. Almost guaranteed 9 mpg( fingers crossed). Not dyno-ed, but assuming around 390 hp, once headers and free flowing exhaust are on, hoping for closer to 465 hp. Torque off the charts, cammed for torque rather than hp… just forget what he said. Vodka happened..

F342C75E-17A3-4D60-8153-6C047986B529.jpeg

Last edited:
I need to replace the alternator... The one in the pic is the original spruced up with a little tssshhh tssshhh (spray paint- if you watch Vice Grip Garage on YouTube you'll get the idea). The new one in other pics is a factory dud after running it for 30 min... and come to find out the original is garbage too.

Once I have it, I'm going to post a vid of the sound... I'm so excited... I'm going to run through $100's of dollars in gas in my driveway just listening to it.

So this has been a slow project, things just seemed to keep coming up... she sat in the drive for a few months. Then I decided to spend some time on her installing the stainless headers...and discovered I lost the keys to the damn thing. Searched for weeks and nothing, bought a replacement ignition and door locks, was a pretty simple replacement, I should have done it weeks sooner. Took off exhaust manifold and cut out old exhaust. Installed header on captain's side then discovered (as I thought might happen) on the drinker's side the starter (new one I bought) does not allow enough room for the header. So I ordered a mini starter just now and new brackets for the power steering pump (you can see the old bracket that mounted on the old exhaust manifold at the captains side cylinder1). SO no loud boom boom video yet, hoping next weekend...if I dont' shio her off to a new hot rod shop to get her running corrent and maybe even go in reverse (imagine!).
3B821EE8-F87E-41F1-BF04-34985AA07273.jpeg

Old manifold on drinker's side above (you can see the shiny oval starter hunkered below and back)- new header on captian's side below.
ACE0CA05-218B-47FF-8424-4FD5E92E0355.jpeg

She’s got pollen all over, I know disgraceful.. I’ll clean it eventually- let’s see if she’ll shift to second before we go crazy with cleaning it. Look at those stupid copper lines coming out of the master cylinder - stainless lines are sitting in a box along with new transmission cooling lines- so many projects…

Last edited:
Really dig what you're doing with the '84 Chevy K10. I've been into trucks for ages too, constantly working on them to make them stand out. Seeing your step-by-step restoration is super inspiring.

It’s been a slow go, but still enjoying it

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account and join our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Back
Top Bottom