Trips + OESD vs TAG reg (2 Viewers)

Dugthefish

3 of a Kind
Reaction score
.25/.50, 9 handed, loose passive table. $200 effective. TAG Villain is one of the most competent at table, capable of mixing up his game when needed, playing both draws and made hands aggressively. Hero is generally seen as tightest player at table, hasn't been running great or hitting flops tonight.

Hero in BB with 5♦️6♦️. UTG straddle to $1, every player limps to Villain OTB who limps, Hero completes, straddle (maniac) raises to $11. 3 players call, Villain calls, Hero calls.

Flop $66 3♥️5♥️5♠️

Checks to V who bets $10. Hero calls, maniac calls, rest fold.

Turn $96 3♥️5♥️5♠️ 4♦️

Checks to V who bets $15, Hero raises to $65, UTG folds, V thinks for 20 seconds and jams.

Hero?

Thoughts on all streets welcome, as well.

I'd call, but I also suck at poker.

In my mind V is putting you on a flush draw. You checked the flop then called, and you checked the turn before (in V's eyes) trying to bluff with your raise to $65. I'd imagine V has the nut flush draw or a large over pair.

I suck at poker too.

PreFlop: wouldn't call over 20 BB with 65s
PostFlop: maybe raise to protect vs all flush and straight draws.

Turn: For me the main question here is, what hands would a good TAG player reraise you on the turn that hasn't beat you yet?

My money would be in as soon as possible.
EDIT: Missread the hand and thought villain was the maniac preflop aggressor. So the following will consider the wrong range and will not be of any help to hero.

Yup, money goes in.
You get shown QQ, KK, AA, AKh/AQh a lot here. Also A2h, A4h would kinda make sense if he is maniac enough to raise these from the straddle in a limped pot.
Sure he can have 33 or the straight here, but neither of those would fit the preflop betting pattern very well and you block the upper end of the straight with your 6. And if he for some reason raises a 5 with a better kicker than yours in a limped pot, you still have 11 outs to a straight or a full house and 6 outs to a chop.

Last edited:
Lot of things to look at here. I would say fold pre with a low suited connector this deep OOP. Too many reversed implied odds situations. The complete is fine, and since everyone called and you have good relative position on the raiser, I think calling is okay, though still going to get you into a lot of trouble sometimes.

On flop, I think generally you can have two plans:

Option 1:
The bet is tiny and you have 4 players still to act behind you. You want to get this heads up if possible. So raise and try to isolate the button. Then likely go broke from there on turn as presumably you'd bet turn since button can still have a lot of draws, he jams and you sigh can with a minimum of 4 outs.

Option 2:
Call down. I think raising this turn is ambitious as played. You presumably have a lot of equity unless button is full. But you have the sort of hand that really doesn't want to get jammed on. In those spots when OOP, you just have to play defensively. Button has bet into 5 players on flop, and 2 players on turn. Even though he is using tiny sizings given the pot size, he can't have nothing here.

I don't think button is ever cold bluffing here. At worst he nut flush draw with a straight draw I'd think. Your raise basically represents mostly full houses, as most trips aren't going to just call that flop and let bad turn cards come out. Good news is that no matter what you aren't drawing dead.

You have to call $114 to win $226. So straight 2 to 1. So you need at least 33% equity to call. Since villains bluffs are basically only nut flush draw hands with a straight draw (and even then that's iffy given your raise in turn), his range is probably something like:

A2hh, A5cc, A6hh, A7hh, 67 suited, 54cc, 33, 44. And MAYBE the other suited A2, but betting that flop with the bad end of a gutter seems ambitious. Against this range, you are only 28%. And if he's willing to limp other suited 5c combos, then you are in even worse shape.

So unless you can find some bluffs this villain might have since you know him better. I think this is a fold.

^i think the good TAG player on the button is the one who bet and raised all in. He limped and then just called pre-flop
Oh I didn't realize that. Disregard my post, since a limpcalling TAG has a very different range.
I don't like the c/r on the turn. He's very polarized here and you don't beat his value hands. c/c turn and call blank rivers depending on betsize.
As played you're pretty dependent on your history with this particular player. If he is capable of just stabbing with air or some kind of draw here, you can call it off, but I don't see him 3bet bluffing very often here vs 2 players on the turn.

Lot of things to look at here. I would say fold pre with a low suited connector this deep OOP. Too many reversed implied odds situations. The complete is fine, and since everyone called and you have good relative position on the raiser, I think calling is okay, though still going to get you into a lot of trouble sometimes.

On flop, I think generally you can have two plans:

Option 1:
The bet is tiny and you have 4 players still to act behind you. You want to get this heads up if possible. So raise and try to isolate the button. Then likely go broke from there on turn as presumably you'd bet turn since button can still have a lot of draws, he jams and you sigh can with a minimum of 4 outs.

Option 2:
Call down. I think raising this turn is ambitious as played. You presumably have a lot of equity unless button is full. But you have the sort of hand that really doesn't want to get jammed on. In those spots when OOP, you just have to play defensively. Button has bet into 5 players on flop, and 2 players on turn. Even though he is using tiny sizings given the pot size, he can't have nothing here.

I don't think button is ever cold bluffing here. At worst he nut flush draw with a straight draw I'd think. Your raise basically represents mostly full houses, as most trips aren't going to just call that flop and let bad turn cards come out. Good news is that no matter what you aren't drawing dead.

You have to call $114 to win $226. So straight 2 to 1. So you need at least 33% equity to call. Since villains bluffs are basically only nut flush draw hands with a straight draw (and even then that's iffy given your raise in turn), his range is probably something like:

A2hh, A5cc, A6hh, A7hh, 67 suited, 54cc, 33, 44. And MAYBE the other suited A2, but betting that flop with the bad end of a gutter seems ambitious. Against this range, you are only 28%. And if he's willing to limp other suited 5c combos, then you are in even worse shape.

So unless you can find some bluffs this villain might have since you know him better. I think this is a fold.

Excellent reply, thank you.

This hand happened at end of session, so hero may have been a bit inebriated ;) My thinking at the time to follow.

This villain is never not raising pairs 77+, big Aces, down to probably KJss even, OTB vs multiple limps. So his range is all kinds of SC, offsuit connectors, Ax, off suit broadways. I heavily discounted full houses here, just because why would he jam here? So really, he has made straights, trips, flush draws, or combo type draws.

Quick drunk thinking in game:

I figured I was a 2:1 dog
The pot was close to that
This guy knows I'm cautious and will fold to pressure
I was tired of not winning any decent pots for the 3rd week in a row.

Hero in BB with 5♦️6♦️. UTG straddle to $1, every player limps to Villain OTB who limps, Hero completes, straddle (maniac) raises to $11. 3 players call, Villain calls, Hero calls.

Flop $66 3♥️5♥️5♠️

Turn $96 355 4♦️

Checks to V who bets $15, Hero raises to $65, UTG folds, V thinks for 20 seconds and jams.

Hero calls. Villain turns over 6♥️7♥️

Hero binks a 3♣️ on the river.

Nut straight, flush draw, and straight flush draw? Harsh river for V.

This hand happened at end of session, so hero may have been a bit inebriated ;) My thinking at the time to follow.

This villain is never not raising pairs 77+, big Aces, down to probably KJss even, OTB vs multiple limps. So his range is all kinds of SC, offsuit connectors, Ax, off suit broadways. I heavily discounted full houses here, just because why would he jam here? So really, he has made straights, trips, flush draws, or combo type draws.

Quick drunk thinking in game:

I figured I was a 2:1 dog
The pot was close to that
This guy knows I'm cautious and will fold to pressure
I was tired of not winning any decent pots for the 3rd week in a row.

Flop $66 3♥️5♥️5♠️

Turn $96 355 4♦️

Hero calls. Villain turns over 6♥️7♥️

Hero binks a 3♣️ on the river.
The reason to jam a full house here is that there are a lot of cards that can kill the action on the river. You are repping trips at the least. And that is going to have a hard time folding.

FWIW, I'm not a huge fan of his jam with 67. The worst hand I think you can have for value is something like what you have. You can easily have a full house here too given the preflop action. I'd likely just call with 67 and evaluate on the river.

IMO, this is definitely a fold pre-flop to the raise to $11. As played, call.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account and join our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Back
Top Bottom