TripleStep's Golden Gate Poker Set (1 Viewer)

TripleStep

High Hand
Reaction score
Hey PCF,

I used to run a home game back in Arizona and but haven't hosted in years. I stumbled my way onto this forum in search of Bay Area home games and immediately realized that the china clays I've used for over a decade wouldn't cut it.

I quickly ordered a custom chip set from CPC back in January and they've finally arrived.

For the inlay I used a designer from Slovenia that I had used for my day job. He was affordable, fast, provided great results.

I hand washed the entire set in a mixing bowl and a few drops of dish soap. I didn't get a full shot of 500+ drying but did snag this:

After drying them, I used the oiling method from the "Oiling Chips Done Right" thread for the first 500. I ran out of countertop space so the remaining 500 will have to wait. Just did enough to satisfy chip demand for my first low stakes game amongst friends. Chips fresh out of the box vs cleaned and oiled is a huge difference:

Goal of the set:

1) Have enough lower denomination chips to bring new players into the game for $20-$40 poker nights. My main friend group is not poker savvy and I'd like to introduce them to the game.
2) Be able to scale for players that don't mind putting up $100-400 to play cash games.
3) Tie the color selections to elements of the SF Bay Area. $1 reps the ocean, $5 reminds me of the Bay Bridge at night (white bridge lights, red vehicle taillights), $20 reps the colorful Castro District, $100 reps the Golden Gate Bridge with specs of gold for the 1849 gold rush.

Mistakes made:

1) Ordering too few chips initially. My initial order was for 800 chips with a breakdown of:

.25 - 300​
$1 - 300​
$5 - 100​
$20 - 80​
$100 - 20​

After feedback I ordered 2 more racks of $5s. Also should *not* have ordered 3 racks of .25 chips...

2) Choosing two dark base colors right next to each other. The $5 black and $20 blurple colors certainly *can* work but a starker contrast will be helpful. After @sat guru provided very helpful feedback I've now ordered another 3 racks of green $5 chips which will represent the redwoods of Muir Woods. I'll keep the black $5s and hope to get a $5/10 limit mixed cash game going.
3) Ordering a chipset before soliciting feedback from seasoned chippers. I was so eager to get my set that I rushed my order. Highly recommend patience for any first time chippers.
4) Leaving chips near a mischievous puppy:

Last edited:
Very cool set. There are quite a few of us here from the bay. We do meetups occasionally, and there's always random home games going on all over the bay. I'm in San Jose.

Those look great!

Sweet King Charles! I have to be careful with my chips around our 9-month-old golden retriever. :)

@RainmanTrail - @TripleStep was at the (last) Spring Battle of the Bay.

Triplestep - Thanks for the sample set! These are fantastic in person! Those $20 are so sick!

I like the simple, elegant design. The color matching on the denom and "Golden Gate Poker" text is really nicely done. Your designer I like simple clean labels that allow the chips do the talking so I think these are spectacular, especially with the FDL mold.

Congrats on your set! Now invite me to your game with the newbies so I can donate any profit to you, @RocAFella1, @Godzilla28 or @Vinyard. AWESOME!

Very cool set. There are quite a few of us here from the bay. We do meetups occasionally, and there's always random home games going on all over the bay. I'm in San Jose.

Thanks! The Bay has been pretty great to me. Do tag me if you host a game anytime in the future.

Congrats on the set. I initially thought those were sharks in the water on the inlays... :cautious::ROFL: :ROFLMAO:

Only one shark at my game and it wasn't on the inlay... :cool Who am I kidding I lost money last night.

Those look great!

Sweet King Charles! I have to be careful with my chips around our 9-month-old golden retriever. :)

Thanks! Theodore is such a sweet guy but looks for opportunities to cause trouble. Also, you can't just say you have a golden puppy without posting a picture.

Oh man I’d have kept the black $5 and got some yellow 20’s

Nice set!!!

Solid feedback. For some reason I've been entirely against a red or yellow base in my set. The black $5s look so crisp after being oiled up, night and day difference. I just wish the inlay wasn't so bright white or smaller o that more of the base black color would show when in play.

@RainmanTrail - @TripleStep was at the (last) Spring Battle of the Bay.

Triplestep - Thanks for the sample set! These are fantastic in person! Those $20 are so sick!

I like the simple, elegant design. The color matching on the denom and "Golden Gate Poker" text is really nicely done. Your designer I like simple clean labels that allow the chips do the talking so I think these are spectacular, especially with the FDL mold.

Congrats on your set! Now invite me to your game with the newbies so I can donate any profit to you, @RocAFella1, @Godzilla28 or @Vinyard. AWESOME!

As always, thanks for the positive feedback. Just remember that sample set of yours has no cash value :)

You ready to play some mixed games? I got my crew into Omaha, Stud, and Razz last night. They quickly began calling Razz "Trash Poker" because I explained the objective was to collect all the garbage low cards. Name took off and they loved it.

Great set. Not to neon bright. Very nice puppy.

Thank you! I definitely wanted to use bright colors without getting into neon territory -- wouldn't have matched the Bay Area theme. The puppy is my favorite.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account and join our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Back
Top Bottom