Trip Ideas for a Short Excursion with my son (13) (1 Viewer)

When I was 13 my family rented a houseboat and cruised down the Suwannee river in Florida. We camped by the shore and swam in the springs and fished along the way for 4 or 5 days before reaching the Gulf. Good times:)

Sounds like an awesome opportunity for your son and family. Good for you!

I have 12 and 10 year old kids. When we talk about where to go for trips, they always start with theme park related suggestions. Like everyone, we've enjoyed some great times at many of these such as Disney, etc.

That being said, I would say our favorite trip was to northern California with the emphasis on Yosemite. We initially spent 3 nights in San Francisco. The kids liked riding bikes across the golden gate bridge, seeing alcatraz, and driving just North of the city to Muir Woods to see redwoods (rented car).

We then went to Yosemite and spent 4 nights there. (2 nights there with 2 full days to see things would be probably be OK). Everyone was amazed. I would describe us as "not outdoorsy" or camping oriented and we all loved it. We stayed at a lodge which was just outside the edge of the park.

If there was a negative, it was that the drive from San Francisco to Yosemite (and back) pretty much sucks. There are a couple of closer airports, but I think the stuff you would see and do in San Francisco outweighs it.

Oh yeah, I forgot to comment on your thought about a disney cruise. We did a seven day Disney cruise this spring. It was a great. If you aren't used to cruises, I think you will likely experience some sea sickness no matter how big the boat is. Definitely get a Scopalime patch (transdermal) to wear. It requires a prescription but is worth it. I've never used one of the non-prescription patches but have heard they are typically worthless.

Last edited:
Last edited:
Here is my idea for planning a trip to include getting to see lots of beautiful country along with some things a 13 year would like to do. I would fly into Denver and drive west on I-70. That is the most picturesque stretch of road I have ever driven. You could do white water rafting as well as biking near Vail. You could then drive to Goblin Valley for some hiking and camping. From there it is a short drive to the San Rafael Swell where you could rent a side by side and drive the trails around The Swell which is amazing country. I have not driven atv's there but used to hike and camp there years ago and love the area. There is an area in The Swell called The Wedge that is referred to as the Little Grand Canyon. It is a great place to hike around and there are areas where you can see petroglyphs. It is not a long drive from there to fly out of Salt Lake City or possibly Provo which is closer.

.......or you could ship him off to ROTC camp and fly to Bangkok for the week.

* the moderators have (or should) block Likes for this post due to poor taste.

** PCF does not advocate leaving your children and flying to exotic lands.

*** Delta airlines has cheap flights to Thailand leaving on Friday afternoons.

When I was 13 my family rented a houseboat and cruised down the Suwannee river in Florida. We camped by the shore and swam in the springs and fished along the way for 4 or 5 days before reaching the Gulf. Good times:)
Sounds like an awesome opportunity for your son and family. Good for you!

I have 12 and 10 year old kids. When we talk about where to go for trips, they always start with theme park related suggestions. Like everyone, we've enjoyed some great times at many of these such as Disney, etc.

That being said, I would say our favorite trip was to northern California with the emphasis on Yosemite. We initially spent 3 nights in San Francisco. The kids liked riding bikes across the golden gate bridge, seeing alcatraz, and driving just North of the city to Muir Woods to see redwoods (rented car).

We then went to Yosemite and spent 4 nights there. (2 nights there with 2 full days to see things would be probably be OK). Everyone was amazed. I would describe us as "not outdoorsy" or camping oriented and we all loved it. We stayed at a lodge which was just outside the edge of the park.

If there was a negative, it was that the drive from San Francisco to Yosemite (and back) pretty much sucks. There are a couple of closer airports, but I think the stuff you would see and do in San Francisco outweighs it.

Oh yeah, I forgot to comment on your thought about a disney cruise. We did a seven day Disney cruise this spring. It was a great. If you aren't used to cruises, I think you will likely experience some sea sickness no matter how big the boat is. Definitely get a Scopalime patch (transdermal) to wear. It requires a prescription but is worth it. I've never used one of the non-prescription patches but have heard they are typically worthless.

Niagara Falls is packed with things for a teenager to do.

We took our son to Atlantis Bahamas when he was 13 and he loved it. Comfort suites is right next door, much cheaper, includes breakfast and gives full access to Atlantis.

https://www.choicehotels.com/bahama...0&ratePlanCode=RACK&rateType=LOW_RACK&rooms=1

https://www.comfortsuitespi.com/m/
Here is my idea for planning a trip to include getting to see lots of beautiful country along with some things a 13 year would like to do. I would fly into Denver and drive west on I-70. That is the most picturesque stretch of road I have ever driven. You could do white water rafting as well as biking near Vail. You could then drive to Goblin Valley for some hiking and camping. From there it is a short drive to the San Rafael Swell where you could rent a side by side and drive the trails around The Swell which is amazing country. I have not driven atv's there but used to hike and camp there years ago and love the area. There is an area in The Swell called The Wedge that is referred to as the Little Grand Canyon. It is a great place to hike around and there are areas where you can see petroglyphs. It is not a long drive from there to fly out of Salt Lake City or possibly Provo which is closer.

All added to the list, thank you both for the suggestions and various tips, much appreciated!

Yosemite is on my bucket list :) and we've been thinking about Niagara as well since it's not too far a drive from Jersey.

Ha he wishes :ROFL: :ROFLMAO: Would be a consideration if we weren't so far, I think airfare alone would break my budget. We honeymooned in Hawaii (stayed on Kauai with side trips to Oahu & the Big Island), it was hands down the best vacation I've ever had.

You also have Rocky Mountain National Park if you veer towards to north...

Here is a short cruise that will give your wife a chance to try cruising without spending a lot of time at sea between ports. Plus the booze is included! But I couldn't get the stupid site to show in US dollars but it should be even cheaper for you. NCL.com

Screenshot_20180919-183721.png

IMHO, hiking in nature is ideal from age 12 to 102 if your feet can hold you.
You 've got dream destinations in your country, like the Yosemite and the Yellowstone (and many others, probably less crowded during the useful frost-free months).

Flying to Greece for early summer vacations may not be cheap, but once you arrive things get cheaper (in relation to NY at least).
Especially if you ignore the beaches, in favour of mountains and canyons:
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Vikos_Gorge
IMG_1132-1-e1510080343228.jpg

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Samariá_Gorge
photo.JPG

Yosemite is pretty amazing if it's on your bucket list. The rivers in the area open up to trout fishing the last weekend of April. If you wanted to avoid San Francisco, another option would be fly into Reno and drive down 395. You could also spend some time in Mammoth or Bishop area or check out the ghost town Bodie. Lot o high mountain lakes in that area.

San Francisco has a lot to do to, but the above option would work better for a more outdoorsy vacation.

OK here are a few more places I'd recommend that are not theme park oriented. If you wanted a real adventure, like hiking and want to enjoy some National Park action, consider Zion National Park in Southern Utah. Fly to Vegas and then you are 165 miles from Zion, lodge at Springdale, UT. I would do this to hike Zion Narrows. You could do it from the south as a day hike or plan an overnighter staying in the Narrows overnight. Wet weather could impact access but I'd roll the dice June no problem. Weathyer will be warm but the hike has water, think very long trekking pole (rent 'em) and thermal boots (rent them). I did it with my trainers but the water can be cool. Perfect hike on a long day. Stunning scenery, the best slot canyon hiking in the world. This option would be high on my list and damn! Flying to Vegas! I'd do this again any June I could get there. It is a real adventure.
https://utah.com/hiking/zion-national-park/the-narrows

The options to drive from there to the North Rim of the Grand Canyon now become possible. 160 miles. Do you like road trips? Vermillion Cliffs along the way are beautiful and the North Rim is 1000 ft higher plus 95% of all Canyon visitors never go there. Yes, the views on the South are better but the North is awesome too. In place of this, perhaps Bryce Canyon is appealing to you. The weather should be good, camping is a fun option, Night temps are great. Check in with @Lars he lives a 3.5 hours north of Zion.

Edit - don't know your kid but 13 years old is no worry I think. If he is athletic, the Narrows is not a hike of elevation gain. You get wet for sure and that is part of the adventure. BTW I took a group of 8th graders there about 10 years ago. It was a blast and Springdale on July 4 is a fun .

It looks like the Zion narrows may be a no go.
https://fox13now.com/2018/09/25/zion-national-park-ceases-issuing-permits-to-popular-narrows-area/

Figured I'd post a quick update and thank everyone again for all the suggestions, I was able to put together a nice list of suggestions for my son to research. He decided on a southern California trip - mostly LA (Hollywood area tour, Tar pits, LA Angels game). He also liked the cruise idea a few of the national park trips, but he didn't want to do any of those himself, he would rather wait to go with his little brother so they could explore together. Trip is planned for late April, he's very much looking forward to it. (y) :thumbsup:

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account and join our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Back
Top Bottom