Traveling to Paris (1 Viewer)

SixSpeedFury

Full House
Reaction score
Hey all,

The family and I will be traveling to Paris in the summer. Has anyone ever been? How can you score sweet deals? Does the 90/60 day rule still apply? Any info would be appreciated.

Paris is justifiably fantastic. If you're going in the summer, during peak season, I'd expect few deals. In addition to all the sights, one don't-miss IMO is Berthillon ice cream on the Ile St. Louis. Quite possibly the most perfect ice cream anywhere. Also, eat as many pastries, baguettes and stinky cheeses as you can get your mitts on.

My advice? Try not to stick out like an American tourist. Our reputation as a people is, unfortunately, justifiably deserved (especially in Paris, where there will be hordes).

One thing that will put you leagues ahead of your fellow countrymen? Greet, thank and say goodbye to all shopkeepers, even if you aren't buying anything, and do it in French. Also learn "désolé, je ne parlais pas français, parlez-vous anglais?" They don't expect you to speak French, but they also don't expect you to assume they speak English. This one phrase, which acknowledges the fact that you don't speak French, will put you in good stead with almost anyone you meet/encounter.

From Big Blue:

Yes, many times. We're going back later this year. My wife was born in Paris. It's a great, great city.

Sweet deals on what? If it's housing, we usually rent an apartment through parisapartments.com. Beats the hell out of staying in a hotel.

Who are "the family" -- ages in particular? Any particular interests that made you choose Paris? Are you staying exclusively in the city? Visiting long enough to take day trips?

What "90/60 day rule"?

The ages range from 2-52, 8 people. We'll be there for 10 days, so we plan on hitting up London, Amsterdam and Belgium (and poker rooms!) I was really looking forward to playing at the ACF, but sadly they shut their doors :( The 90/60 rule is supposedly the sweet spot in booking a vacation 90 days or 60 days out before departure. @gopherblue, thanks for that bit of information, I'll make sure to share it with the family.

We went last year. I can't really comment on the deals. We went on a WWI tour in France before heading to see relatives in Belgium. It was great...I finally visited Beaumont Hamel (my great uncle fought there), and the kids were able to soak up some history.

The biggest disappointment was Paris, in fact. The "string people" are everywhere (google "Paris string scam"), and they are persistent. We were surrounded by 8 of these guys going up the steps to Sacre-Coeur, and they wouldn't back off until my wife started screaming at them to leave our son alone. They don't like attention. The kids (13 and 15yrs) quickly learned to keep their hands in their pockets at all times.

France and Belgium were great. I won't return to Paris.

One thing that will put you leagues ahead of your fellow countrymen? Greet, thank and say goodbye to all shopkeepers, even if you aren't buying anything, and do it in French. Also learn "désolé, je ne parlais pas français, parlez-vous anglais?" They don't expect you to speak French, but they also don't expect you to assume they speak English. This one phrase, which acknowledges the fact that you don't speak French, will put you in good stead with almost anyone you meet/encounter.

Excellent advice. One quibble - that should be "je ne parle pas français" (not "parlais").

BTW, check out Rick Steves' guide books. While I haven't used read his Paris book, we got one for Germany and London, and both were excellent.

Funny no french comments till now.
many french chippers around are from Paris and could Be able to give you good information about the city and place to go.
what i can tell is That except private game the Last place to play poker is the cercle Clichy montmarte That you Will find easily on the web And That even If Paris is a very Nice Town , you Will found from north to south Many interesting cities !!!

Hi 6,
I'll be glad to give you any infos you need soon plus my phone number.
Nico.

Well the trip is only 5 days away! To my fellow Frenchmen, what's the night life like? What's the appropriate attire if we would like to go to the bars, nightclubs, etc? What is the exchange rate like over there? Would it be better to exchange to euros in the US or Europe?

I love Paris and plan to take wife and kids for Spring Break this coming year. Kinda sad the tour is over today. I think Paris is majestic and would love to lose myself if France for a month or four. Wine, cycling, the Alps, cheese, wine, the architecture, did I mention the wine and cheese? It's a small miracle I don't weigh 490 lbs.

Well the trip is only 5 days away! To my fellow Frenchmen, what's the night life like? What's the appropriate attire if we would like to go to the bars, nightclubs, etc? What is the exchange rate like over there? Would it be better to exchange to euros in the US or Europe?
Make sure you call your credit card companies and let them know you're traveling in Europe so you don't get a hold on your card. Generally, I'd advise you charge most items to a credit card that doesn't have a foreign transaction fee. As for getting cash, you can get some in the U.S. if you'd like, but the exchange rate is usually terrible. Just hit up an ATM when you arrive at the airport.

As for dress--don't dress like an obvious tourist. :)
I don't know what you tend to favor or where you're going, but evenings, I'd wear linen pants or nice jeans and a collar shirt, with a casual sport coat. Better to be over than under dressed.

Have a great time! Very jealous.

Thanks E and Bivey! My fiance and I are major cheese and wine fanatics so that'll be awesome. Don't worry there'll be a TR :cool:

Eat as many dinners at bistros as possible, and ALWAYS ALWAYS ALWAYS sample everything on the cheese plate at the end. Bonus points if they just leave the serving plates on your table and allow you to go to town. Just remember to say this early and often: "Fromage forte, s'ils vous plait."

Giggity! I know it's a vacay with the misses and family but hopefully I find a chance to play in a home game!

Hey
Welcome by advance in France
You're still invited at home when you're there.
Pm me if you want my phone number or anything else.
Nick

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account and join our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Back
Top Bottom