Topper from scraps (1 Viewer)

T_Chan

Full House
Site Vendor
Reaction score
This is a table topper which was mainly made from scraps. The only parts which aren't scraps is the 1/2" base, playing surface foam and piano hinge.

The felt was an old misprint and thus it looks really funny. Rail foam is from leftovers as well as the black suede. The rail plywood was also cut from offcuts of 3/4" plywood.

I am considering making some more of these with a few changes and/or options. The rail pieces are currently screwed on. I may want to make them removable by using threaded inserts and connector bolts. It currently folds down whereas I'd like it to fold up.

It's not heavy and I will be adding some straps to the bottom so that it can be carried like a big shoulder bag.

Anyways, here's the pics:

2015-08-19%2014.31.05.jpg

2015-08-19%2014.31.14.jpg

2015-08-19%2014.31.50.jpg

2015-08-19%2014.32.03.jpg

2015-08-19%2014.32.12.jpg

2015-08-19%2014.32.27.jpg

2015-08-19%2014.31.00.jpg

Cool topper. Way heavier than mine. If you do the fold up, will you have to take off the rail?

Maybe yes maybe no. If yes, then it would have one fold down the middle. This is why I'm thinking of attaching the rail pieces with bolts so that they can be removable.

If no, then it would fold twice. The middle would be about 3" wide and each side would fold upwards to fit the rail. I would then have to leave a space between the rails down the center when unfolded to accommodate the folds.

A topper should be a quick toss up, easy setup. IMHO the removable rail would be nice for maint. but if I had to do that every setup? No thanks. Rather is folded the way shown. I get why you'd want it to fold inward (protect the surface and all...).

I like it as is, the person using this would take care of it an put it somewhere to keep it out of the elements. and might even get a bag for it..

This was made as a favour for me, and will be used in a little fundraiser event for my parent's buddhist temple. It will then also be used for their monthly temple poker games most likely, as well as for the occasional event that I might go to.

Haven't played on it yet, but did sit around it, and now I can't wait to play on it. Tony and I chatted for a long time about a revision to allow it to fold upwards instead of backwards, and my preference is to a triple fold that would then have a little insert to cover the two fold lines.

Hopefully I might get some use out of it this weekend!

Mike

Ooh... I like the look of this, as I'm trying to figure out a good topper design for my own purposes, as I don't have space for a dedicated table, right now and have been gaming on my dining table. Trying to figure out how the triple fold/insert would work, in my head...

Very nice work, as always, T!

Always nice to put those scrap pieces to good use :)

Ooh... I like the look of this, as I'm trying to figure out a good topper design for my own purposes, as I don't have space for a dedicated table, right now and have been gaming on my dining table. Trying to figure out how the triple fold/insert would work, in my head...

Very nice work, as always, T!

Here's my triple fold topper: It's not at Tony's level at all, but it's simple, light and stores behind my china cabinet. You could make one that's custom sized for your dining table for under $100.

Pfw9Jca.png

w6560SP.png

Tony, it doesn't sound like you're planning a continuous felt for your fold up design, which is one of my favorite aspects of my topper. How exactly are you going to do it?

Yeah The idea would be to match my dining table. I like the no-seam of yours. Somehow I had it in my head that folding and a lack of seams were mutually exclusive concepts.

That a Gorilla Tape hinge? ;-)

Yeah The idea would be to match my dining table. I like the no-seam of yours. Somehow I had it in my head that folding and a lack of seams were mutually exclusive concepts.

That a Gorilla Tape hinge? ;-)

Exactly! It's held up really well, and is non-marking/non-scratching. It's two sided. Here's the @BGinGA blueprint:

tape-hinge2-jpg.40152

Looking at that, I'm not sure why he thought he needed help from @p5woody on the 20th Century buttons ;).

Here's my source threads on toppers:
http://www.chiptalk.net/forum/threads/best-place-to-buy-tri-fold-poker-tables.87025/
http://www.chiptalk.net/forum/threads/topper-advice.87787/#post-1267131

You don't want plywood exposed on the bottom if they are to go on top of wood tables or they will scratch the underlying table. Many of the cheaper versions you can buy have vinyl on the bottom. How could you finish the bottom?

Edit...never mind, I just saw the diagram a couple posts up...

I was thinking he could spray adhesive some of the rug pad material underneath. That rubber stuff that stops carpets from moving around?

You don't want plywood exposed on the bottom if they are to go on top of wood tables or they will scratch the underlying table. Many of the cheaper versions you can buy have vinyl on the bottom. How could you finish the bottom?

Edit...never mind, I just saw the diagram a couple posts up...

Really? I worry about staples, hinges and other metal, but not sanded plywood. Something rubbery would be good to help keep it in place though. My table was bought used with a bunch of scratches already though. We usually have a table cloth anyway.

I normally use a sheet of non-slip material which is used to put under rugs to prevent them from slipping. They can be bought at any carpet store or hardware store for like $10. It serves as protection for the table underneath as well as prevents the table from sliding around if someone happens to hip check the table as they walk by.

If the table will fold up, then I will likely do a single piece cloth. I would think though, that I would have to cut the foam at the folds into a V shape otherwise when folded upwards, the foam would bunch up and over time turn into a bumpy mess.

Atomik, your topper is great. Mine's mostly the same, just a bit heavier duty plus the rail of course. Rails are a must for me as most of the players I play with are terrible dealers. Without the rail we'd be picking up cards off the floor all night. How has the felt at the folds held up for you? Any signs of wear?

I normally use a sheet of non-slip material which is used to put under rugs to prevent them from slipping. They can be bought at any carpet store or hardware store for like $10. It serves as protection for the table underneath as well as prevents the table from sliding around if someone happens to hip check the table as they walk by.

If the table will fold up, then I will likely do a single piece cloth. I would think though, that I would have to cut the foam at the folds into a V shape otherwise when folded upwards, the foam would bunch up and over time turn into a bumpy mess.

Atomik, your topper is great. Mine's mostly the same, just a bit heavier duty plus the rail of course. Rails are a must for me as most of the players I play with are terrible dealers. Without the rail we'd be picking up cards off the floor all night. How has the felt at the folds held up for you? Any signs of wear?

No issues with the felt or foam at the folds, but it hasn't been used more than a dozen times. I do store it folded. It's Brybelly chinese SSC and Jo-ann Fabric headliner foam. If you do the fold as two separate 90 degree bends with a short strip in the middle, the foam seems to handle it pretty well. I've thought about adding a rail. My newer folding table has one, and I miss it going back to the topper.

I might have to do some test with my closed cell foam. It doesn't bounce back as easily as headliner foam. Thanks for the input atomik.

My toppers sit on top of either a neoprene topper (same size oval) or a sheet of happy bottom closed-cell foam (cut to same diameter as the round topper). I also have sectional low-rider rails made with happy bottom to fit both toppers. No movement, no scratching. Either padding rolls up and stores easily in a old camping chair bag.

Nice job; I love how these things work and play, and are simple to build. You need to get busy on a sectional rail to fit it !

Very nice! Any chance of reposting your pics here? Can't see the larger ones on the PTF site.

Very nice! Any chance of reposting your pics here? Can't see the larger ones on the PTF site.

Yeah, I'll post a new thread with some chips on it as well as progress pics after our game tonight. I don't think it's gotten a lot of notice on PTF, but I make an effort to post there for stuff like this.

Can't blow up the photo without a poker table forum user name. Can you. Just put the photos here? Thanks.

I just built a new one last month for use with a folding table, with reinforcements to help support the rail. Need to post pics.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account and join our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Back
Top Bottom