Tool Chest Chip Storage (2 Viewers)

BeesKnees

Two Pair
Reaction score
Bought this for the garage and seeing all of these shallow drawers got me thinking...

9EF3EBB8-2B8E-4831-98DD-F6F77C4CA695.jpeg

So I ran into the house to grab a few racks and it works pretty well.

24029569-9381-40A1-9FBF-EC13F7D952EB.jpeg

The top three drawers are a little too shallow for the racks I have (cheapie). There was very minor rub with the racks but any rub is too much rub. The boxes fit well however.

26867AE3-4BDD-4ADB-B817-F2719AF04B64.jpeg

The top clamshell shelf was very spacious and will hold 11 racks *almost* perfectly, if you look just above the lock I had to remove a few chips to make it fit. Possibly I could flip the way I put the racks in and that might work, I didn’t think of that until now. Regardless I’m confident that it won’t be hard to modify the lock hardware to make it fit.

FB8CE9C9-3564-45C4-95CF-C1203A06D7CD.jpeg

It sells for $298 but is on sale for $99 (at least in Canada anyway) until the 31st of January at Lowe’s.

A few things to add on the cabinet:

-It’s exactly what I imagined to get for $99, the drawers are a touch sticky but actually seem to work a bit better with weight in them. I wouldn’t say this is flimsy but it definitely lacks the sturdiness of a more expensive chest.

-The lock works in a way that the clamshell has to be fully open to unlock the drawers which maybe is normal for chests like this, but I could see this being just a minor inconvenience. It works surprisingly smoothly however.

-The drawers were fairly easy to remove and replace, that way you could drill through the back of the cabinet or through the bottom to bolt it to something for added security. I didn’t check to see how easy it would be to switch the drawer slides to easy stop slides.

-4 drawers that fit 7 racks well, 3 drawers the might work with different racks or 7 boxes, plus the clamshell shelf with 11 racks. That makes for a total of 60 racks.

-This chest is staying in the garage but if I was going to buy one to hold chips I’d probably look at an upgrade especially if I was buying this around the $300 dollar mark.

-There is a small strip of area behind the racks in the drawers that could fit narrow things like cards or plaques, I didn’t get a measurement.

-This exercise makes me realize that I could use some nicer racks, more boxes, definitely more chips but mostly more money! (Edit: but mostly more chips)

All in all it’s not a bad idea for some storage on a tight budget!

Last edited:
Yup, they work well. Great sale price on that, too. At least five of us here have used chests from the Ultra HD line of Seville Classics.

View attachment 150170

All chips.

I wish the drawers were about 2 inches wider, so that you could fit 3 racks across length-wise. as it is now, you can do 1200 in standard racks, or 1400 if you use 10 racks and 4 25x4 covered chip boxes.

Maybe I will learn how to do some woodworking, and make my own. :)

I had the Seville and switched to the Husky. The Seville is nicer and does allow for more storage per drawer but the Husky has more overall storage for the same price.

54A8A389-D378-4F6E-AB88-94C2BC9BDEA4.jpeg

This is the 52” but I also have the 46” which is what I would recommend for the price. Can get it on sale for $200.

I had the Seville and switched to the Husky. The Seville is nicer and does allow for more storage per drawer but the Husky has more overall storage for the same price.

View attachment 150200

This is the 52” but I also have the 46” which is what I would recommend for the price. Can get it on sale for $200.
Available space and portability are definitely factors as well. If I hand a good spot for a double wide I would have gone that route.

View attachment 150200

I like that you can lock this. Makes for safer feel if you have to be away from the bank.

I had table pads (like you would for a dining room table) made for the wood chip cabinet and wood bureau I have. You can have colors made (Although I have black). Easier to work with chips on vs the wood top.

View attachment 150200

This might become the better option for me, I like the idea of the room up top to count out your stacks, and possibly modify it like Jeff has said to make the chips easier to handle.

This might become the better option for me, I like the idea of the room up top to count out your stacks, and possibly modify it like Jeff has said to make the chips easier to handle.
The Seville is better for the tray application for a few reasons first you assemble the Seville so you can do the cut out before putting it together and the Husky has a metal under the wood so you would have to cut through that and the locking mechanism is right in the middle

Bought these two 61” rolling tool storage chests from Home Depot to help organize my small woodshop. I have tons of random hardware and tools to sort through. It would be SO much simpler to live with the shop mess and fill the drawers with chips instead. Trying to stay strong here...

7DB473C1-481C-418D-9948-7044EFFC7024.jpeg

Last edited:
Just need to figure out how to get those Husky emblems off. They aren’t glued on, but have some kind of fastener on the back...

I really like the HD Seville Cabinets after seeing the pics on this post, so went to their website to order the model with 3 drawers (same dimensions as the 6) with the bottom doors.

According to the site the dimensions of the drawers are listed as only 2" high/deep, but most of the chips I have in racks come out to roughly 2.5". I did call the company and they stated only items less than 2" high could fit in the drawers, though they didn't actually look physically, just read off the description.

Does someone who has one maybe let me know if I am missing something? The pics I see do appear to have trays

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account and join our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Back
Top Bottom