Too many $1s in play ? (1 Viewer)

how many $1 chips should be in play for a perfect ratio.

• more

Results are only viewable after voting.
@TheRealTeddyKGB i really love those $1s !!!!!
This thread made me smile after reading the above post from my last night's haul.
20230310_010738.jpg

6 barrels of 1's/player sounds great to me lol

For a normal 1/2 home game, 100-200 is enough. My preference is 140. However, since the dealer will be taking some off the table, you'll need more. Try 200. 300 is fine too, but any more and I suspect your players will complain.

If you get a table with a chip tray cutout, you can give the players $100 in $1s total to start and the dealer $100 in $1s and $100 in $5s (for a total of 200 $1s on the table). This way the dealer can help make change out of his tray. Whenever he gets a green $25, he can pocket it.

I find 200 to be the perfect amount for a single table. Since you have tips, another rack would probably be appropriate. Any more than this and there end up being huge stacks of chips that aren't often used for betting post flop.

background info: i host a bi weekly game with a full table and a dealer who is paid by tips only. bank in play by mid game is about 4-6K

by mid game all 800 $1 chips are felted. some of my regulars complain about the amount of $1s in play ( too many)

8 racks of 1s
4 racks of fives
1 rack of 25s
1 rack of 100s.

what do you think? should i scale back the 1s ? i really love my 1s.

View attachment 1096462
This very much depends on the blinds. But I am assuming if you are getting over 4K in play, you are probably playing at least 1-2, which to me means 800 is WAY TOO MUCH if the singles are the blind chip.

I think 200 is plenty unless you are taking a rake/tipping dealer's. Then I see the argument for targeting 300 singles in play.

But for these games you want the vast bulk of chips to be in fives, like 70% of what's in play should be fives. That makes for the easiest counts when players are all in.

I am sure that's where the complaints are coming from.

Now for games with fractional blinds, I tend to like more like 300-400 singles in play.

A dealer shouldn't be dropping ones into his tip container. They should sit on the corner of the tray or somewhere else until they can be colored up to at least a 5.
Couldn't disagree more with this take. It is tacky as hell to keep tips in view. Thank the player, pocket it (or ideally drop box it) and move on.

Couldn't disagree more with this take. It is tacky as hell to keep tips in view. Thank the player, pocket it (or ideally drop box it) and move on.
Totally disagree. Perfectly fine for an unpaid dealer to keep three quarter chips or four dollar chips off to the side before coloring them up (to either $1 or $5) and dropping it in the tip box. Keeps the lowest-quantity needed chips in play.

Totally disagree. Perfectly fine for an unpaid dealer to keep three quarter chips or four dollar chips off to the side before coloring them up (to either $1 or $5) and dropping it in the tip box. Keeps the lowest-quantity needed chips in play.
If you are playing the game that is good enough to solicit tips, this wreaks of a cheap shortcut.

It sends the message to the tipper, thanks, but this isn't big enough for me to collect just yet, because this game is cutting a corner on denominations. It's subtle, but there is a bit of shaming here.

Buy the extra rack of singles and accept the chips with grace as soon as offered.

If you are playing the game that is good enough to solicit tips, this wreaks of a cheap shortcut.

It sends the message to the tipper, thanks, but this isn't big enough for me to collect just yet, because this game is cutting a corner on denominations. It's subtle, but there is a bit of shaming here.

Buy the extra rack of singles and accept the chips with grace as soon as offered.
Noted, I'll start altering my cash set recommendations to two racks of the lowest denomination if tipping dealers is an allowed practice. ::eyeroll::

Once I give a tip, I've never really concerned myself with what the dealer does with their money. However, this is simply a way to keep small denom chips in play, nothing more.

Once I give a tip, I've never really concerned myself with what the dealer does with their money. However, this is simply a way to keep small denom chips in play, nothing more.
And again as I said above, if the game is good enough to solicit tips, it should good enough to just provide the extra chips without needing to take the shortcut.

I get it seems inefficient, but I think simplicity of just collecting the tips make sense here. Even if it's few players that see it the way I do, it just seems a small thing to keep tipping convenient and gracious.

PCFers are so funny. In threads like this they’re all like “that’s too many of XYZ chip in play” but ten minutes later in another thread they’ll be screaming “BUT MOAR CHIPS”.
There are limits. There should not be EIGHT HUNDRED of the lowest denomination on the table. 2-300, sure, and definitely more than 100!

And again as I said above, if the game is good enough to solicit tips, it should good enough to just provide the extra chips without needing to take the shortcut.

I get it seems inefficient, but I think simplicity of just collecting the tips make sense here. Even if it's few players that see it the way I do, it just seems a small thing to keep tipping convenient and gracious.
I see your logic for this, but I disagree.

I think there are different ways to make a game ‘good enough to warrant tips’, and having enough chips on hand is one way, there are several other factors, and reducing a home game down to just one of the factors and ignoring the others, I don’t think is accurate.

For example: at my games, the main table is the dealer table and my wife deals for tips. I have two other self dealt tables, so I can not turn away anyone who wants to play, and hopefully this allows my game to continue to grow. When we get enough players for three tables, I wouldn’t have enough chips for my wife (our dealer) to take chips off the table, but I would argue that it’s a bigger advantage for my game to have the extra tables than have enough chips for the tips to go in a drop box

There are limits. There should not be EIGHT HUNDRED of the lowest denomination on the table. 2-300, sure, and definitely more than 100!
Agreed, but when I’m playing .25/.50 I would much rather have 100 more fracs on the table than 25 $1s because I like lots of chips on the table. Makes people feel rich!!! Haha

I'd say 300, but honestly 200 should be plenty. But it depends how many if the Taj Mahal $1s you have. If you have 200 I'd do 200. If you have 300 I'd do 300.

For my 1/2 game (which admittedly plays a bit higher with sometimes getting 10-20k in play) I use 140-160. I think 100 is too few. 200 would be fine.
Just step up to 5/5 man :ROFL: :ROFLMAO:

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account and join our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Back
Top Bottom