To Cup Hold or Not to Cup Hold - Poker Tables (1 Viewer)

shorticus

4 of a Kind
Tourney Director
Supporter
Reaction score
In my quest to build the perfect home game, I'm going to be investing in a new table in the future. Ultimately, my plan for my poker room will be an office/poker area where I will have my poker table located for home games.

My idea is to get one of the convertible poker tables that I can also use as a office table get work done (when covered, it looks like a table that you would find in a conference room) during the times when I'm away from the office but there are things to be done. Similarly, my kids can use the table for homework, wife for her needs, etc. etc.

Currently, the little low end poker table I own has drink holders on them, but due to the holders not being deep, someone spilled their drink on my table, and I was furious. However, I was able to maintain a smile and was very polite about the situation. My wife even commended me on how polite I was in the moment.

Because I hate when these types of accidents occur, I am considering that my upcoming poker table purchase not have any drink holders. Instead, I will opt for the little side tables to place your food/drinks. The area I plan to use will have a tiled floor so clean up will be much easier than cleaning felt and less stressful too. I am wondering what are everyone's thoughts are in regards to poker tables without drink holders. Like em? Hate em? I'm open to suggestions on the topic, and I have not decided either way, so your contributions will be very helpful.

Thanks,
-Shorticus

I think the side table is a great idea. I think cupholders in the table are fine, some people here are very opposed, but if you have the space for the side tables, cupholders can really only get in the way and cause accidents like the one you recently experienced. In short, I don't hate cupholders but they have zero advantages over a side table imo.

I think the side table is a great idea. I think cupholders in the table are fine, some people here are very opposed, but if you have the space for the side tables, cupholders can really only get in the way and cause accidents like the one you recently experienced. In short, I don't hate cupholders but they have zero advantages over a side table imo.

^ I disagree
One can argue that the appearance of a table looks cleaner without cup holders, or maybe some people don't like to be "pinned down" to a spot in front of a cup holder at a short handed table but I completely disagree that cup holders are in the way and cause accidents.

Depending on the cup holder used it is virtually impossible to knock over a drink sitting in the cup holder. You Can Not say that about a cart.

Now you can still argue with people "having" their drink over the poker table, but that will still take place with drink carts. People aren't going to turn away and take a drink over the drink cart.

So far my money, cup holders in the rail are a necessity.

That's an interesting perspective @bsdunbar1. Personally, when I attend a game, I am very conscious of the felt and try to keep all drinks away from the table up to and including turning to drink my drink on the side of the table or pulling away from the table to sip my drink. I can accept that most individuals may not do that.

I don't think that cup holders necessarily cause accidents, but the cup holders that do not go deep into the table are definitely more prone to have accidents occur.

That's an interesting perspective @bsdunbar1. Personally, when I attend a game, I am very conscious of the felt and try to keep all drinks away from the table up to and including turning to drink my drink on the side of the table or pulling away from the table to sip my drink. I can accept that most individuals may not do that.

I don't think that cup holders necessarily cause accidents, but the cup holders that do not go deep into the table are definitely more prone to have accidents occur.

You being a host have a different appreciation than most guests will. I constantly pick up little pieces of shit off the felt that others never even notice. I suspect your players won't think twice about drinking their drink above the table and then turn around to replace it in the cart.

100% agree on the shallow cup holders causing accidents.

This is an old argument that has been debated since the dawn of alcohol and cahds. It’s a personal preference thing. I’ve used both in my home game. I have no problems with in-rail cupholders. I use drink carts now because I have the room. Love them and glad I went this route. There is no way to knock over the drink carts that we use and I love having the whole rail to play with. And don’t get me started with slide unders. :p

I should add that we also have swivel chairs so grabbing drinks/food off the carts are no problem at all.

You being a host have a different appreciation than most guests will. I constantly pick up little pieces of shit off the felt that others never even notice. I suspect your players won't think twice about drinking their drink above the table and then turn around to replace it in the cart.

Good point. I think that's a very fair assessment as other people that I've played with who have poker tables of their own show that same level of appreciation.

Cup holders in the rail are fine, I don’t like them in the playing surface. Make sure they are big enough to fit a rocks glass as well if you have people that drink hard stuff and deep enough that a beer bottle won’t tip over.

I have a table with cup holders and without. I like them both. I have slide under cup holders for the table without. But most people use the side tables I have and they don’t get tipped over.

I should add that we also have swivel chairs so grabbing drinks/food off the carts are no problem at all.

Swivel chairs are a great idea! I planned on going with the leather office chairs anyway since it will fit the theme of the room. Anything that helps contribute to these individuals from damaging the felt.

My wife said put plastic over the felt :tdown:
LOLOLOLOL

Personally not a fan of in rail cupholders. You could try something like this maybe, although with a design that looks a little less like a ballsack.

I don't like cup holders in the rail or in a racetrack. Often on cheaper tables the cupholder is just too shallow to really prevent a spill. No matter the depth, you will likely run into sizing issues with certain beverages. If you get the regular size, it works well for a standard can or bottle, but some drinks may not fit. If you go for the jumbo size, you may find the beverage has too much room to move around. My personal preference is for cup holders that can slide under the rail and be repositioned as necessary. I have a full set of regular and jumbo size so my players can always find one that fits their drink!

Side tables are great, but definitely not cheap!

This is like debating whether the sheets on the toilet paper roll should hang from the front or the back.

I don't like cup holders in the rail or in a racetrack. Often on cheaper tables the cupholder is just too shallow to really prevent a spill. No matter the depth, you will likely run into sizing issues with certain beverages. If you get the regular size, it works well for a standard can or bottle, but some drinks may not fit. If you go for the jumbo size, you may find the beverage has too much room to move around. My personal preference is for cup holders that can slide under the rail and be repositioned as necessary. I have a full set of regular and jumbo size so my players can always find one that fits their drink!

Side tables are great, but definitely not cheap!
Can you send me some pics of your cup holders and where you got them from please?

The only drink spill that I've caused was a drink in a side table knocked over by a moving chair, apologies @Trihonda . I've never spilled a drink in a table cupholder, and I dislike the extra crowding of the room caused by side tables. That said, side tables are great to pull out for eating, and then put away immediately afterwards....

I prefer slide under cup holders, as they can be removed when not in use, and are flexible based on how many players at the table and where people sit.

My opinion:
If possible, say no to cupholders in the rail (or, heaven forbid, in a racetrack).
If players must have drinks in front of them on the felt, use the slide in holders.
Use drink/food side carts for that extra bit of customization, and class. Because we're all about class, here.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account and join our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Back
Top Bottom