Tips on Shipping from US to France (1 Viewer)

chicubs1988

Flush
Reaction score
I’m looking to ship ~2 racks of chips to a member in France. Any recommendations on the best options to currently use?

I am no expert, but I thought the general consensus is that DHL is the best option for international shipping. More expensive, but more secure. It would be great if our international shipping experts could chime in.

Avoid USPS at all costs; unless insured for the full value, which, of course, is a no-go for the poor member in France (EU), waiting to be mauled and raped by the Customs Bears.
Let the recipient spend his money more wisely, in a more professional service like indeed DHL.
Write "obsolete tokens" or "ceramic souvenirs" on the package.

I'm curious too. I recently shipped one rack fully insured to France for less than $27. However, for two racks, I don't see anything cheaper than a USPS MFRB at $80-ish

Tip: Get insurance - seriously.

I have only lost 2 shipments out of maybe 100. One of those lost packages was to France.

I'm curious too. I recently shipped one rack fully insured to France for less than $27. However, for two racks, I don't see anything cheaper than a USPS MFRB at $80-ish

Two racks can fit in a single FRPE which is basically the same price as an SFRB (~$28). You can fit two racks in a USPS 1096L box which then fits snuggly into a FRPE...

https://www.pokerchipforum.com/thre...-instead-of-an-sfrb-for-the-same-price.61984/

119210056_322054052232795_1298994591423597579_n.jpg
119182518_808490523288357_8259659913410737050_n.jpg

My mistake, it's 20lbs. The regular flat rate envelopes are 4lbs.
I don't know why I never noticed that! International flat rate envelope's max weight is 4lb, and I always assumed the padded max weight was also 4lb. This is great news!

Two racks can fit in a single FRPE which is basically the same price as an SFRB (~$28). You can fit two racks in a USPS 1096L box which then fits snuggly into a FRPE...

https://www.pokerchipforum.com/thre...-instead-of-an-sfrb-for-the-same-price.61984/

View attachment 748393View attachment 748394

And as always, they are free...

USPS 1096L Boxes (for two racks): https://store.usps.com/store/product/shipping-supplies/priority-mail-box-1096l-P_O_1096L

USPS Flat Rate Padded Envelopes: Will fit a 1096L: https://store.usps.com/store/produc...ority-mail-padded-flat-rate-envelope-P_EP14PE

I have only lost (and found, vandalised with most chips stolen) a load from me to Chicago, using the Greek National Service (ELTA) and its inevitable American counterpart, the USPS :vomit:
The latter (USPS) took months and a lot of effort to admit to ELTA that the package was destroyed and the contents stolen in their hands.
Pretty Soviet crap In The Heart of America.
:)

I don't know why I never noticed that! International flat rate envelope's max weight is 4lb, and I always assumed the padded max weight was also 4lb. This is great news!

I really thought it was 4lbs too. I wonder if they changed it recently. I did notice that the padded flat rate envelopes feel thinner now. Maybe they are using more recycled material nowadays.

I really thought it was 4lbs too. I wonder if they changed it recently. I did notice that the padded flat rate envelopes feel thinner now. Maybe they are using more recycled material nowadays.

It might be a misprint. I'm unable to generate a dummy label with either USPS's Click-n-Ship nor Paypal at the international flat rate padded envelope price for anything over four pounds :(

It might be a misprint. I'm unable to generate a dummy label with either USPS's Click-n-Ship nor Paypal at the international flat rate padded envelope price for anything over four pounds :(
I think you're right. I can't imagine shipping 20 lbs in a padded flat rate envelope.

PXL_20210805_184711362.jpg

International large and med boxes = 20lb max
International envelopes and small box = 4lbs max

2021-08-05_14-50-58.jpg

I went to USPS yesterday to ship a rack and a barrel to France (SFRB). Shipping was $43, but there was a $600 fee for the recipient to retrieve the package.
I’ll check out DHL today, but wondering if there is a way around the fee on the receiving end?

Attachments

• EECB6AB9-07EC-4983-9026-7E7F7891C803.jpeg
    EECB6AB9-07EC-4983-9026-7E7F7891C803.jpeg
    112 KB · Views: 38
I went to USPS yesterday to ship a rack and a barrel to France (SFRB). Shipping was $43, but there was a $600 fee for the recipient to retrieve the package.
I’ll check out DHL today, but wondering if there is a way around the fee on the receiving end?
@arch3r ran into the same problem a few weeks ago. Maybe he can describe the workaround.

@arch3r ran into the same problem a few weeks ago. Maybe he can describe the workaround.

Hey there. Yup, dealt with the same thing. I'm guessing it's a bug with the USPS software in how it calculates estimate taxes and duties for the recipient. Tried different things to work around it...

First, If I detailed the items like this - which is how the USPS told me to

DescriptionQuantityValue
Gaming Tokens400$40
Gaming Buttons5$5
Deck of Cards4$20

The declared value was $65, which is what I wanted. but the duties and taxes were crazy high.

But if I listed them like this...

DescriptionQuantityValue
Gaming Tokens400$0.10
Gaming Buttons5$1
Deck of Cards4$5

...then the taxes/duties seemed fine but the declared value was $6.10 which is incorrect and would most likely get flagged in customs.

So I finally listed the contents like this...

DescriptionQuantityValue
400 Gaming Tokens1$40
5 Gaming Buttons1$5
4 Decks of Cards1$20

Then everything calculated correctly and the shipments to Germany went through without a problem.

It seems that the USPS system calculates declared value by just summing up the value column, while it calculates estimated duties/taxes by first multiplying quantity * value and summing up that.

Only took 2 trips to the post office and about an hour and a half arguing with the staff, trying to get them to agree that their system is doing bad math ( which they never admitted to ) and trying all different combination of how to declare the contents to get one that would work.

Hope this helps.

chris.

Last edited:
Hey there. Yup, dealt with the same thing. I'm guessing it's a bug with the USPS software in how it calculates estimate taxes and duties for the recipient. Tried different things to work around it...

First, If I detailed the items like this - which is how the USPS told me to

DescriptionQuantityValue
Gaming Tokens400$40
Gaming Buttons5$5
Deck of Cards4$20

The declared value was $65, which is what I wanted. but the duties and taxes were crazy high.

But if I listed them like this...

DescriptionQuantityValue
Gaming Tokens400$0.10
Gaming Buttons5$1
Deck of Cards4$5

...then the taxes/duties seemed fine but the declared value was $6.10 which is incorrect and would most likely get flagged in customs.

So I finally listed the contents like this...

DescriptionQuantityValue
400 Gaming Tokens1$40
5 Gaming Tokens1$5
4 Decks of Cards1$20

Then everything calculated correctly and the shipments to Germany went through without a problem.

It seems that the USPS system calculates declared value by just summing up the value column, while it calculates estimated duties/taxes by first multiplying quantity * value and summing up that.

Only took 2 trips to the post office and about an hour and a half arguing with the staff, trying to get them to agree that their system is doing bad math ( which they never admitted to ) and trying all different combination of how to declare the contents to get one that would work.

Hope this helps.

chris.
Thanks Chris, that is very helpful! I filled my customs form out similar to your first graphic, but I’ll go back this afternoon and make the edits.

@arch3r Got it down to $37. The clerk said all rates went up on March 1, 2023.
Appreciate the help!

No worries. Like I said, I think the USPS system is broken and does bad math when calculating the estimates for tax and duty. But the way I found to fill out the customs form makes their bad math work. Anyway, glad I could help.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account and join our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Back
Top Bottom