Tips on finding pleasant players? (3 Viewers)

Cowthulhu

High Hand
Reaction score
So - I'll preface this by saying that I recognize Poker is a pretty antisocial game at heart, and it's tough to have a "true" friendly game.

But... man, how do I find people to play with that aren't dicks? All the home games that run regularly near me seem to be run by control freaks obsessed with extracting as much money as possible from the game ("don't check raise so much!" "you need to be in more hands!" "stop playing so passive!"), and attended in large part by sullen jerks obsessed with the amount of hands-per-hour. Like - this is .25/.50, you don't need a hoodie.

And don't get me started on the poor fish who generally are nice, friendly people... but any attempt to let them know that they're bleeding to death and need to tighten up if they want to stick around is met with glares and mutters of "don't tap the glass", because god forbid they get better and stop hemorrhaging money.

Nobodies perfect, but how do you guys go about finding people that are interested in chatting a bit and generally making an effort to have a good time?
Sorry if this sounds like a rant post - it partially is, but I am genuinely interested in how people are finding enjoyable people to play with.

If I'm not playing to make money I play with friends, low stakes tournaments mainly where we can have a laugh, drink beer and have good food, winning or losing doesn't matter to anyone because the stakes are so low.

That's when I enjoy poker the most. My close friend group aren't big gamblers or poker players, I teach them a bit here and there but they are playing for the social element and I'm all for that.

So - I'll preface this by saying that I recognize Poker is a pretty antisocial game at heart, and it's tough to have a "true" friendly game.

I couldn't disagree with this more. My home games are almost pure social debauchery. We drink bourbon, laugh, and splash chips around all night long.

I don't know "how" you find these type of people. Are you playing with friends? strangers? associates? ect......

If I'm not playing to make money I play with friends, low stakes tournaments mainly where we can have a laugh, drink beer and have good food, winning or losing doesn't matter to anyone because the stakes are so low.

That's when I enjoy poker the most. My close friend group aren't big gamblers or poker players, I teach them a bit here and there but they are playing for the social element and I'm all for that.
That makes sense. Man, I wish my friends enjoyed poker! Unfortunately I practically killed half my friend group from stress when I hosted a .05/.05 poker night, it turns out they do NOT like gambling!

I couldn't disagree with this more. My home games are almost pure social debauchery. We drink bourbon, laugh, and splash chips around all night long.

I don't know "how" you find these type of people. Are you playing with friends? strangers? associates? ect......
People I find online, on Reddit, Meetup and the like.

Cultivate the game you want. Recruit far and wide and select players good for the game while dropping those who are bad.

BTW, people who talk strategy in game are not usually good, especially if they criticize how others are playing. Let people play how they want. Talk about anything other than strategy.

That makes sense. Man, I wish my friends enjoyed poker! Unfortunately I practically killed half my friend group from stress when I hosted a .05/.05 poker night, it turns out they do NOT like gambling!
Perhaps a tournament might seem more inviting and less stressful for your friends. Regular breaks every hour, $5 entry, even provide the beer so if they lose they don't feel like they've lost out. Then hopefully they start to enjoy it and you can play more regular or have cash games.

Perhaps a tournament might seem more inviting and less stressful for your friends. Regular breaks every hour, $5 entry, even provide the beer so if they lose they don't feel like they've lost out. Then hopefully they start to enjoy it and you can play more regular or have cash games.
That's a really good idea, I'm definitely going to do that. Thanks!

I second this. I would not play with people that are no fun at the table. I always try to play decent poker and I like the challenge of trying to win but having a fun and pleasant evening among friendly people is certainly number one.

I think you’ve just been unlucky. I have 4-5 core players that I’ve known and played with for 20+ years but I have also been very lucky finding new great people to play with. Not the least from this place with @Ainton @Freudeus

BTW, people who talk strategy in game are not usually good, especially if they criticize how others are playing. Let people play how they want. Talk about anything other than strategy.
^^THIS^^

Nothing ruins a game faster than the guy(s) who want to talk shop and/or try to convince you that their way is the only way to play poker. I HAD a few of those types in my home game group…they don’t get invited back. As a host, nothing is more disrespectful to me than someone disrespecting another one of my guests in my home.

People I find online, on Reddit, Meetup and the like.

This was a problem for me and I don't look for players there anymore.

I recruit friends, neighbors and co workers. I believe a few keys to my success are:

- offering a feature drink and having an open bar.
- cooking, or ordering in, something good to eat.
- always communicating how much money they should expect to win over the night. For a no limit night: "buy in from $10-$40 at a time, bring at least 3 buy ins, and expect to win or lose 1 or 2 on an average night "

Also have tyou considered fixed/spread limit? My success started with fixed. Here's the flyer from my last game that was spread limit

https://www.pokerchipforum.com/threads/official-home-game-pics-thread.4135/page-494#post-1910879

Last edited:
I found my core group of players from playing in a regular monthly tournament that a buddy used to host and a free bar poker league. It was real easy to see who I thought would fit in well with my ideals for a home game. It took some time and patience, but it is very possible to find a great group of guys with the same ideals for a game. My core group of cash players has been playing every Friday for the last 4+ years now and we still have a wait list every week.

I would suggest finding a PCF meet up game near you! I see you live in USA... I hear its nice there this time of year :cool
You'll find the right crew there for sure if your into Drugs/Sex/RockNRoll!! hahaha o_O

Here seem like a good start to some new poker players

Maybe try to join a nearby chipper in your area or a meet up game next time

I think for the game, I tend to keep the game small by making the buyin limited At 100bb first rebuy at 100bb and 200bb after that in order to keep the losses to the minimum in case someone had a bad night. Also, it also discourage grinder as the game play much smaller compare to those match the stack home game

You broke them in to poker the wrong way. You needed to break them in with "drunken poker".

Drunken poker is simple and involves no money changing hands so newer people to the game don't feel intimidated. Everyone starts out with 100 in chips. It plays as a 1/2 NL table. When someone busts, the bank will happily give them another 100 in chips. All they have to do to get that is a double of THE NASTIEST THING YOU CAN FIND AT THE LIQUOR STORE. And when I say nasty, I mean $8.95 with a $10 mail in rebate nasty.

The money is something non gamblers can't get past. You find a way to take money out of the equation and your friends can learn the game and enjoy it before it costs them money

Also, for me I realise not every friend are poker degen like me or are free to play every weekend especially those who had spouses and kids

So I had 2 group of poker players to play/host with instead

Might help if you put your location in your profile. Maybe someone here would reach out to you? I play with a group that is hosted by and includes a couple other PCF people. And I've been to a PCF meetup, so I feel that PCF people are pretty fun to play with across a wide range of different stakes levels.

Obviously this is your personal choice, but I really don't understand why so many PCF members hide their location. Not like you are giving out a street address, phone number or SS#. Even just the state would narrow it down some.

And don't get me started on the poor fish who generally are nice, friendly people... but any attempt to let them know that they're bleeding to death and need to tighten up if they want to stick around is met with glares and mutters of "don't tap the glass", because god forbid they get better and stop hemorrhaging money.

Are you doing this? No one likes to be told how to play poker. The "advice" won't go over well and comes off as condescending. While it's possible these "poor fishes" will "get better and stop hemorrhaging money," they're more likely to stop going to your game because they don't feel welcomed.

This thread needs a meme of worm walking into the police game in rounders:

"This guy I met at the pool hall said he likes to play cards..."

Sorry, @Kyle can be a real dick and don’t even get me started on @nitzilla
giphy-245239341.gif

And don't get me started on the poor fish who generally are nice, friendly people...
Ok, I think he's talking about us here, right @Cowthulhu :unsure:
@Kyle @ruskba @pokerplayingpisces

Seriously though, you should stick with us PCFers in CO, you also seemed to hold your own at the Limit Game we ran at @ruskba 's ;)
We're a friendly group IMHO
But good luck if you're trying to run with a different crowd....

Are you doing this? No one likes to be told how to play poker. The "advice" won't go over well and comes off as condescending. While it's possible these "poor fishes" will "get better and stop hemorrhaging money," they're more likely to stop going to your game because they don't feel welcomed.
I think he is saying that the predators at the table don’t appreciate it. I’m guessing that the fish might appreciate a friendly tip or two, provided it is offered in a friendly helpful way.

I run a club with 14 players total. All different.

All of my players know it’s the 3rd Saturday for my table, and I rotate games. So they can decide what they wanna do.

5c/10c
25c/50c
50c/$1
$40 Tournament

Rinse repeat. Each player can decide what game they want to attend, how they wanna play, risk level, etc. Some attend all, some only tournaments, etc.

I’ve found it’s a bit more fun & friendly this way and way more inviting for the variations of players.

As for friendly players…. I will simply not allow someone in my home who disrespects my players and my table. First rule, DONT BE A DICK!

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account and join our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Back
Top Bottom