Tipping at home games? (1 Viewer)

How many Monopoly variants do you have

I have six that I swear are going to goodwill in the next purge.
At least 3 copies of the basic set from my days of hosting tournaments, an Anchorage version, the similar but different Anti-monopoly, and the ruleset for the only fun version: Combat Monopoly.

none of my friends are competent enough to properly shuffle a deck, so i'm on dealer duty. 1bb tips galore!

We usually do similar to you — just round down to the nearest multiple of 5, especially if you’re a big winner. Nothing’s ever expected, though.

I usually tip the host if I take first in a tournament. If it wasn’t for their game I wouldn’t have come into the money, so a little something is appreciative but may also be an incentive for the host to keep it running (in)frequently.

In another thread, the issue of tipping at home games came up. Seems like it can use its own discussion.
One guy implied that tipping might be expected in lieu of a rake.
Another guy said he refuses tips.

Those are issues I haven’t considered. The few times I’ve gotten tips, I’ve happily accepted them, but they’re certainly not expected. My games are generally between good friends - I don’t usually tip them when they have me over for burgers, and they don’t usually tip me when I have them over for poker. And it’s not like I have many real expenses for a game - I’ll put out like $10-$15 worth of hot dogs, but otherwise, it’s bring your own.
No tips required or expected, but if you want me to round down your stack to the nearest $5, that’s fine too.

what do you all think?
I have always been a tipper but recently at a home game I didn’t tip, but hear me out. The dealers is also playing. (Which is something a can’t stand myself.) then the host said something not directly to me, but within ear shot so I could hear. The host ask how he was doing on tips and he said not real good. To which the host said people need to understand you are using your time to deal a game they need to tip, then when break was over and we got to the tables, host made a announcement that tipping the dealer was appreciated . Again I am a poker dealer and I always tip. But the dealer who was playing was cleaning the table already. What would you do?

I have always been a tipper but recently at a home game I didn’t tip, but hear me out. The dealers is also playing. (Which is something a can’t stand myself.) then the host said something not directly to me, but within ear shot so I could hear. The host ask how he was doing on tips and he said not real good. To which the host said people need to understand you are using your time to deal a game they need to tip, then when break was over and we got to the tables, host made a announcement that tipping the dealer was appreciated . Again I am a poker dealer and I always tip. But the dealer who was playing was cleaning the table already. What would you do?
I'd say it's not my custom to tip other players, but I'm happy to deal some orbits

The dealers is also playing. (Which is something a can’t stand myself.)
Interesting - would you prefer passing the deal vs having a dedicated dealer who's also playing?

I'm fine with the dedicated dealer playing, but I'm less likely to tip them. It would feel like I was freely giving money to an opponent, not a dealer.

Does the dealer remove tips from the table or put them in his stack?

Out of all the games I've ever run...

1. I provide food and drinks. (Beers are there too, I've never put a price on them)

2. I don't ask for or expect anything in return. The hosting part is a joy and it's not even a thought.

3. I've received tips a few times, and I always welcome them. I use the $$$ to buy more snacks and drinks.

That's it really. If I ever get my game back, I'm gonna add a hot dog roller. I'll also provide buns and dogs for that too, it won't be any different.

It's all about giving the guests a good time so that they will always want to come and play my games...

1. I provide food and drinks. (Beers are there too, I've never put a price on them)

2. I don't ask for or expect anything in return. The hosting part is a joy and it's not even a thought.

3. I've received tips a few times, and I always welcome them. I use the $$$ to buy more snacks and drinks.

That's it really. If I ever get my game back, I'm gonna add a hot dog roller. I'll also provide buns and dogs for that too, it won't be any different.

It's all about giving the guests a good time so that they will always want to come and play my games...
I agree, that also the reason why with time you hosting less frequently or limit number of players...

I agree, that also the reason why with time you hosting less frequently or limit number of players...
It would be a dream if I was running a game so lean I had to make these drastic changes. I've never had too many players and I've always wanted to host more than my time (and wife) allows. Hahahahahah!!!

I'm keeping the dream alive that we all will be a healthy human race that can play a bit of poker every now and then!

It's like looking into a Canadian mirror. This. Exactly This.

Wanted to add that I typically "lose" about $100 to $200 in bourbon on a typical poker night, in addition to pizza and beers. I don't expect people to tip or pay; but if they do, it's always appreciated and only put toward the next night.

I will spend $150-$200 on prime rib for my players the final game of the year. Not counting the time/effort involved in the 26 hour cook, that's quite the investment in a $30 tournament with an average of 17 players. I mean, 1st place is just $140.

I'd call it +EV, because poker isn't about the money for me.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account and join our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Back
Top Bottom