Time To Upgrade from Samsung Note 5 (1 Viewer)

Anthony Martino

Royal Flush
Reaction score
My Note 5 has been paid off for a fair bit. Lately it's been having some weird battery issues. Where it'll be at say 54% battery and then it drops to 37% and then 24% without me really using it. Even had it drop to 3% out of the blue once, was just really weird.

And of course they made them so you can't replace the battery like the old phones. So looking to move into a new phone. Not interested in Apple, so please keep recommendations to Android.

I use my phone a lot for work (calling and texting) but I don't need it to cook me breakfast or tell me if that's rain I'm looking at. Obviously with Black Friday upon us there will be deals to be had, just trying to find something decent that isn't $1,000. Trying to stay in the $250-500 range.

Best Buy is offering the S9 64gb unlocked version for $519 right now, which seems like it may be the deal I go with:

https://www.bestbuy.com/site/samsung-galaxy-s9-64gb-unlocked-midnight-black/6191423.p?skuId=6191423

I have the 32GB Note 5 which I think they'll give me about $65 as a trade-in for. Any other suggestions out there? I also have $55 in "Device Dollars" on my Verizon account, but haven't really seen any good deals from them yet.

Edit: Also prefer to get the unlocked version, I believe those come with less bloatware?

Whatever you decide, make sure the “deal” you get isn’t tied to some bullshit carrier up charge that you’ll be paying every month for 24 months.

Whatever you decide, make sure the “deal” you get isn’t tied to some bullshit carrier up charge that you’ll be paying every month for 24 months.

I'm looking at unlocked phones, which aren't tied to any specific carriers, although we use Verizon and my wife's Pixel 2 is on that plan as is my current phone.

I'm looking at unlocked phones, which aren't tied to any specific carriers, although we use Verizon and my wife's Pixel 2 is on that plan as is my current phone.
You should be good then. I wasn't. I did a buy one get one 1/2 off deal with Sprint a few years back on my kids phones. Come to find out I signed up for a $25/mo "subsidized" phone fee for the 1/2 price phone. Ended up paying more for that phone then I would have straight out. Assholes.

Just a warning: For anything from Samsung without a replaceable battery, make sure they've cured their battery problems with that particular model. I have two S7s with bloated batteries that have forced open their cases and are absolutely worthless...

Just a warning: For anything from Samsung without a replaceable battery, make sure they've cured their battery problems with that particular model. I have two S7s with bloated batteries that have forced open their cases and are absolutely worthless...

Thanks for the headsup Larry! I believe the 7 series (certainly the Note 7) they had significant battery issues if I recall and they wound up pulling them from the shelves back then. I haven't heard of those issues persisting with the latest model 9 which has been out for a bit now.

I've got the S8+ and no battery issues here over the last 18/24 months.

I upgraded to the S8+ about eight months ago, and no problems with them so far. But then the S7s were fine for a year, too...

Apparently the S7 problem is aggravated if you leave them on the charger for long periods of time.

Alright, got word that Verizon will offer $400 off the Note 9, S9, Pixel 3, etc. starting online the 22nd and in-store the 23rd.

So if the Note 9 is $999 and I get the $400 off bringing it to $599 and then I use my Verizon Up "device dollars" which I have $55 plus the trade in on my phone (I think around $65) I'll be able to upgrade to the newest note for under $500, schweet!

Alright, got word that Verizon will offer $400 off the Note 9, S9, Pixel 3, etc. starting online the 22nd and in-store the 23rd.

So if the Note 9 is $999 and I get the $400 off bringing it to $599 and then I use my Verizon Up "device dollars" which I have $55 plus the trade in on my phone (I think around $65) I'll be able to upgrade to the newest note for under $500, schweet!

Do it! I have the note 8 and my wife the Note 9. She had an iPhone 8 plus and I was able to get her off that train and jump on Android and she loves it.

Wound up getting the Note 9 on Black Friday.

$1,000
-$400 (applied as a bill credit over 24 months)
- $82 (trade in on my Note 5)
- $55 (Verizon device dollars)

So not too shabby. Of course straight off the bat I couldn't get the fucker to recognize my cars Bluetooth. Read up online and looked to be a common issue. Was able to fix it by clearing my Bluetooth cache and date on the phone and restarting, working ok without any hiccups now.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account and join our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Back
Top Bottom