Time for a cocktail! (1 Viewer)

Actually not bad. Better than a couple old fashioneds that so-called bartenders have made for me.
I have pre-mixed a bottle of old fashioned and kept on my shelf for months with no problem (may have even gotten better). Seems to me commercial pre-mixed drinks could work as long as they use quality ingredients and stick to the right drinks.

I see pre-mixed margaritas and daquiris and I just shake my head - citrus turns bad after about 24 hours. But I think spirit forward drinks without citrus should work, like an old fashioned, sazerac, negroni, Martini, Manhattan, etc.

I have pre-mixed a bottle of old fashioned and kept on my shelf for months with no problem (may have even gotten better). Seems to me commercial pre-mixed drinks could work as long as they use quality ingredients and stick to the right drinks.

I see pre-mixed margaritas and daquiris and I just shake my head - citrus turns bad after about 24 hours. But I think spirit forward drinks without citrus should work, like an old fashioned, sazerac, negroni, Martini, Manhattan, etc.
Pre mixed fruit is always bad. Just no replacing fresh fruit with a chemically stabilized "equivalent". Fresh Orange Juice isn't the same thing as OJ from concentrate. Not even close.

IMO, the same thing goes for mixes that include sugar. I know how much simple sugar/agave/sweetener to add for my taste, which is far below the lazy masses that want everything prepackaged, sacrificing quality for simplicity.

Help Needed - Pina Colada

Can anyone share a good recipe.

I've made my own Cream Of Coconut now want to fine tune a good recipe....the ones I'm making so far are a bit 'nothing'

Thanks GreekRedEye
I've seen Anders' YT on this before but I've just noticed that he tops up his home made Cream Of Coconut with an oz of Coconut Milk...mmm may have to try that.

Also I think I may have to ditch the frozen Pineapple chunks and instead, press fresh pineapple for the juice.

Thanks GreekRedEye
I've seen Anders' YT on this before but I've just noticed that he tops up his home made Cream Of Coconut with an oz of Coconut Milk...mmm may have to try that.

Also I think I may have to ditch the frozen Pineapple chunks and instead, press fresh pineapple for the juice.
Fresh makes all the difference. Organic (if possible) is even better.

As fruit ages, it brings out the natural sugars. Frozen fruit is picked young, often grown with bio-engineering to accelerate growth and that costs it in flavor. Buy fresh and let it age until ripe. We often appreciate aged liquor, but then fast-track everything else. It makes no sense.

Pina Colada (take 2)

Different approach this time, used Anders' recipe (but added xanthan)
20240302_180740.jpg

Rum 60ml (2oz)
Cream of Coconut - homemade 30ml (1oz)
Coconut Milk 30ml (1oz)
Fresh squeezed Pineapple Juice 180ml (6oz)
Xanthan Gum 0.5 tsp

Verdict=better

For me=maybe not, I guess I'm a Margarita man at heart.

For <25's=yes...my kids and anyone under 25 that has tried it...they love it...the sweetness and the fact they can't taste the alcohol

I will keep twerking (sorry, tweaking)

Pina Colada (take 2)

Different approach this time, used Anders' recipe (but added xanthan) View attachment 1284760

Rum 60ml (2oz)
Cream of Coconut - homemade 30ml (1oz)
Coconut Milk 30ml (1oz)
Fresh squeezed Pineapple Juice 180ml (6oz)
Xanthan Gum 0.5 tsp

Verdict=better

For me=maybe not, I guess I'm a Margarita man at heart.

For <25's=yes...my kids and anyone under 25 that has tried it...they love it...the sweetness and the fact they can't taste the alcohol

I will keep twerking (sorry, tweaking)
At 8% ABV It's on par with a Hard Seltzer. College kids or (college age kids) have a very different tolerance for alcohol than my age group when we were that age.

That's probably a good thing, it's just interesting to me.

Fresh makes all the difference. Organic (if possible) is even better.

As fruit ages, it brings out the natural sugars. Frozen fruit is picked young, often grown with bio-engineering to accelerate growth and that costs it in flavor. Buy fresh and let it age until ripe. We often appreciate aged liquor, but then fast-track everything else. It makes no sense.

I couldn't agree more!

My wife picked up two of these cocktail mixes, the “Add Whiskey, Don’t Ask” (penicillin) and the “Spiced Old Fashioned.”

In the style of a penicillin, I started with the “Don’t Ask” and used 18oz of Johnnie Black (trying to use it up) and 2oz of a very peated Signatory Vintage scotch. I pulled out the second sugar block so I could get two cycles of the drink and tame the sweetness.

That dollop of peat was unfortunately too much for my wife. Fortunately, that meant I got two drinks. Unfortunately, the second was watery after the ice melted.

1709949024465.png

My wife picked up two of these cocktail mixes, the “Add Whiskey, Don’t Ask” (penicillin) and the “Spiced Old Fashioned.”

In the style of a penicillin, I started with the “Don’t Ask” and used 18oz of Johnnie Black (trying to use it up) and 2oz of a very peated Signatory Vintage scotch. I pulled out the second sugar block so I could get two cycles of the drink and tame the sweetness.

That dollop of peat was unfortunately too much for my wife. Fortunately, that meant I got two drinks. Unfortunately, the second was watery after the ice melted.

View attachment 1288877
Penicillin is a great drink.

My wife and I are at a cocktail class. Our third cocktail is an experimental one. Jefferson Reserve berry smash old fashioned (dialing back the berry syrup) and a Rabbit Hole Dareringer Sugar & Spice old fashioned. Both are fantastic and surprising.

Edit 1: sadly my wife downed the Sugar & Spice as I was posting! Blargh.

Edit 2: we did the Manhattan- too much sweet vermouth I think, wasn’t a fan.
IMG_7997.jpeg

IMG_7995.jpeg

Last edited:

View attachment 1288877
I've had something similar and it was too sweet so good call pulling some sugar out .

Last edited:
I've bad something similar and it was too sweet so good call pulling some sugar out .
They tell you to save the second for another round. I already made the second, finishing up my Nikka Coffey Grain whiskey (no peat) and letting it sit in the jar. It was also good, and interesting to see how the flavor changes as it soaks up the fruit and ginger. And yes, without the peat it’s too sweet.

Hmmm… this is really good. I’m a fan of Redwood Empire, but the cask strength is a bit much neat. In an Old Fashioned with a second bar spoon of water, it’s lovely.

I need a full bottle for a Spiced Old Fashioned and I think this is it.
1712617987743.png

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account and join our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Back
Top Bottom