Throw away your Masks? (1 Viewer)

Vaccines and cures are two different things.

Vaccines aim to prevent new infections. Cures aim to end an existing infection (and its effects).

We have vaccines; we don’t have a cure.
I already responded to this. No need to argue about the wording. We have as close to a cure as we could have hoped for a year ago. This is a virus, so we have a vaccine. Like we have for the flu. The CDC (finally) acknowledged that vaccinated people can stop wearing masks. Some states have said that masks haven’t been necessary for months because they look at actual data instead of guessing. And those states have bounced back the fastest. You can’t deny the data.

so they are saying a fully vaccinated person cannot carry the virus and transmit to others ??

so they are saying a fully vaccinated person cannot carry the virus and transmit to others ??
They are saying the percentages are so low of doing either, combined with the majority of the population either being vaccinated or already recovered from the virus, makes wearing a mask no longer necessary. Go ahead and wear one if you want, but it's not necessary.

Some states have said that masks haven’t been necessary for months because they look at actual data instead of guessing. And those states have bounced back the fastest. You can’t deny the data.
I can’t deny that it exists. You shouldn’t deny that it’s meaningless. There’s no comparison to be made between NY and Texas - they’re wholly different places.

I can’t deny that it exists. You shouldn’t deny that it’s meaningless. There’s no comparison to be made between NY and Texas - they’re wholly different places.
You think the data is meaningless? Wear a mask for the rest of your life. Doesn’t bother me. I will choose not to.

I want to be done with the masks. I think our US government needs to stop overstepping their boundaries. Masks are not working. Every single person I know who had COVID wore masks religiously.
They are making kids wear them while playing sports. Someone I know passed out on the field because of it. It is absolutely ridiculous. It’s time to let people use common sense. If you are feeling sick stay home. If you go out, keep your distance and respect other people. Use hand sanitizer in the stores and live your life. A lot of people have died from COVID, infer it, my mom had it. I respect COVID but I’m not fearing it, however. Let’s also remember they are telling people they have COVID
When they don’t. There have been people who waited in line to get tested and then left without getting tested and then received calls that they had COVID and needed to quarantine. I’m not saying they’ve all been like that but I don’t doubt for a minute that a lot of these numbers have been skewed.
I will not be getting the vaccine right now. If I get COVID I have a 99.7% chance of getting better. The death rate is down to what, 1.something percent? Ebola’s death rate was 50%. When people start bleeding out of their eyes I’ll be first in-line for a vaccine, but not for this. Out of respect I still where masks for those who are in public but I’m about ready to be done with them. People need to wake up, stop listening to the most of the media who keep fanning the flames of fear, and stop living in fear. We do not have to live in fear.
Ok, rant over.

Dr. Fauci said this on live TV yesterday. He said it's OK for fully vaccinated people to go maskless indoors, no evidence they are "carriers." Fully vaccinated means 14 days after the final shot. I think most cases from vaccinated people were during that 14 day period or between 2 shots. Nobody ever said 100% effective, but the masks are coming off!!

They are saying the percentages are so low of doing either, combined with the majority of the population either being vaccinated or already recovered from the virus, makes wearing a mask no longer necessary. Go ahead and wear one if you want, but it's not necessary.
You say this as fact. I'm not buying it... Explain the Yankees. They got the J&J, so the odds of their vaccines being mishandled is low. 8 or the 9 players that tested positive were asymptomatic. Meaning they were carriers. We only know that 9 were positive because they get tested weekly.

Go ahead and don't wear a mask if you want, but don't think you are incapable of getting or spreading the virus.

Go ahead and don't wear a mask if you want, but don't think you are incapable of getting or spreading the virus.
Will do ... I've been in a number of crowds since last summer. My daughter plays club softball and no one wears masks. Not one reported instance of infection. Certainly no one on our teams or parents of the players.

Masks - especially the crappy cloth masks that everyone wears - do very little to protect you. The virus particles are too small. Watch someone inhale a cigarette, put a mask on, and exhale. You'll get the point.

You say this as fact. I'm not buying it... Explain the Yankees. They got the J&J, so the odds of their vaccines being mishandled is low. 8 or the 9 players that tested positive were asymptomatic. Meaning they were carriers. We only know that 9 were positive because they get tested weekly.

The johnson and Johnson vaccine is either 66% effective or 74% effective, depending on where you are. So basically that’s a shit vaccine. Even if it’s 74% effective, that’s ineffective for 1 in 4.
If youre just talking about field personnel - players and coaches - you’d actually expect more than 8 or 9 to get infected, I’d think.

Will do ... I've been in a number of crowds since last summer. My daughter plays club softball and no one wears masks. Not one reported instance of infection. Certainly no one on our teams or parents of the players.

That's good to hear. I hope everyone stays healthy!

Highly effective? Most of the cases of COVID on this base in Djibouti are "fully vaccinated" persons. They have us locked down on the base so we don't get COVID from the local population (the other militaries in the area are free to roam).
The latest data shows that out of 115 million Americans vaccinated, there have only been 1,136 cases of vaccinated persons who were hospitalized and tested positive - aka "breakthrough" cases. Of these, many (342) were asymptomatic - hospitalized for other reasons and tested positive but showed no COVID-19 symptoms.

While it's probably an undercount of total breakthrough cases, I'd still call this "highly effective."
I'm vaccinated from Anthrax, Smallpox, and have been an unwilling test dummy for others in the past. I guess your families can be the testers on this one, and not to be political, but that's an awful lot of trust to put in your government.
People keep saying "I don't trust the government so I'm not getting vaccinated." But it's not like some random dude at FDA threw some dead virus in a bucket and started shipping it around the country.

These vaccines were developed by private pharmaceutical companies with expert scientists and decades of experience in vaccine development. They went through pretty much the same testing procedures and clinical trials that other vaccines and medications go through - just on a schedule that was accelerated mostly by being done in parallel rather than serially.

Masks - especially the crappy cloth masks that everyone wears - do very little to protect you. The virus particles are too small. Watch someone inhale a cigarette, put a mask on, and exhale. You'll get the point.
This is FUD that I'm surprised still gets circulated.

Sure, the virus itself is too small to be stopped by a cloth mask, but it doesn't travel that way. These viruses are typically suspended in respiratory droplets which are orders of magnitude larger than the viruses themselves.

Masks are highly effective at catching respiratory droplets and the viruses that they contain.

Then why do so many people get the virus when they wear masks religiously? Masks don't seem to be "highly effective" based on everything I have seen and heard.

Everyone here in Silicon Valley is still masked up despite us having a mere 36 new cases yesterday in Santa Clara County and probably 99.99999% of the population here being vaccinated. Haven't seen a single person without a mask on yet in public. I'll probably just keep mine on so I don't become Karen's next viral Instagram clip.
I stopped at Wawa on my way home from poker Saturday night and put my mask on. When I walked in, it was pretty busy - mostly local students, and I'd say maybe 1/4 of the non-employees were wearing masks if that. I was definitely in the minority.

I hadn't noticed it on the way in, but on the way out I saw that the "Mask Required" signs were gone. So no mask for me next time I gotta have a Wawa. :)

Then why do so many people get the virus when they wear masks religiously? Masks don't seem to be "highly effective" based on everything I have seen and heard.
Well first I'm not sure I agree with your premise that "so many people get the virus when they wear masks religiously." But if you're genuinely interested in a summary of the science as we understand it, here's a good evidence review.

And sure, wearing a mask, even "religiously," doesn't guarantee 100% protection, and your level of protection can be influenced by a lot of outside factors. But the science says that wearing a mask provides a significant level of protection for you (and others if you're asymptomatically positive) than not wearing one.

The lack of a flu season this year should also suggest that wearing masks helps stop the spread of viruses also.
Or positive flu tests were being tested as positive COVID tests. Or people were told to stay in their homes for the past 12 months, thus greatly reducing the possibility of transmitting the flu. Or the flu vaccine was highly effective this year. Lots of possibilities besides "masks are the answer."

Or positive flu tests were being tested as positive COVID tests.
Whaaa?

COVID-19 tests are specific to the antigen, genome, or antibody of the SARS-CoV-2 virus, depending on which type of test you get. Influenza viruses are different - different genomes, different surface proteins, different mechanisms of operation.

Sure, COVID-19 tests have false positives, but they aren't going to be significantly different between people who have influenza and people who don't.

Or positive flu tests were being tested as positive COVID tests. Or people were told to stay in their homes for the past 12 months, thus greatly reducing the possibility of transmitting the flu. Or the flu vaccine was highly effective this year. Lots of possibilities besides "masks are the answer."
But masks are also part of the answer.

Whaaa?

COVID-19 tests are specific to the antigen, genome, or antibody of the SARS-CoV-2 virus, depending on which type of test you get. Influenza viruses are different - different genomes, different surface proteins, different mechanisms of operation.

Sure, COVID-19 tests have false positives, but they aren't going to be significantly different between people who have influenza and people who don't.
OK - I still believe that forcing the vast majority of people to stay indoors, working remotely, and scaring people to avoid any kind of face-to-face contact had much more to do with a mild flu season than masks.

OK - I still believe that forcing the vast majority of people to stay indoors, working remotely, and scaring people to avoid any kind of face-to-face contact had much more to do with a mild flu season than masks.
Wash your hands

This has nothing to do with what we were referring to, but whatever.
Yes, we have discussed the viability of masks pre-vaccine. We all (mostly, anyway) conformed. Now we have a vaccine. So we can do away with the masks. You do whatever you want to do. Or whatever.

Yes, we have discussed the viability of masks pre-vaccine. We all (mostly, anyway) conformed. Now we have a vaccine. So we can do away with the masks. You do whatever you want to do. Or whatever.
Logic, my man. It's interesting for everyone.

You have just proven how masks work. After they exhale, look at the inside part of the mask. You'll see a brown dirty looking stain. That is the water vapor from your breath your mask caught. The smoke is the aerosol that can get through. This is why you CAN still breathe through the mask and NOT pass out from oxygen deprivation or take on too much CO2. Virus just don't travel by themselves. They need spit, saliva, lung gunk from your cough, sneeze or rona laden heavy breathing to travel from one person to the next. The crappy cloth masks have woven fibers and catch a majority of the rona gunk that gets spread. Not all, but most. They NEVER were to protect you. They were to protect others if you had it and were asymptomatic. This isn't CNN or Fauci talking, it's 8th grade biology.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account and join our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Back
Top Bottom