Three Flags Poker - a custom ceramic set (maybe?) (1 Viewer)

HobokenNJ

Two Pair
Reaction score
I received a lot of help and support from PCF when I gave birth to my Monroe St. Card Room chips. They started out as a rough sketch and evolved into a set me and my son use often. I also can't seem to break my Inkscape addiction. So I'm back to the well...

I continue to be intrigued by the siren song of @BGinGA's T500 base structure -- I'm drawn to its simplicity & efficiency. I already have a set of Dia de los Muertos Chips (which we like a lot), but since they're a T25 base a new T500 base set wouldn't conflict.

My first attempt at bringing my idea to life fizzled. But now I'm back. I've restyled it "Three Flags Poker" in homage of our multi-country family. The sales pitch to my wife is that this is a set we can give as gifts -- one to my father; one to her parents -- and when we visit we have unique chips to play with. Unique touches are: (i) the flag for our home country on the reverse is in the middle and larger than the other two flags; & (ii) the 25K chip has three different versions (one for each flag; only 2 depicted below). The Simpson characters become would be replaced by caricatures of me, my wife and son.

One thing I'm not sure of yet is the colors. Initially I was going to use brown for the 25K, but that's boring. When I added pink into the line up, it didn't work because of the red in the Canadian flag for the 25K. Similarly, I didn't like the orange in the 5K or 25K chips. Below is a sampling of what I've been staring at. I'm starting to be partial to B.

Any thoughts? (Other than I should find something more productive to do with my spare time....) We'll see if this concept will get past my wife.

color-select-v1-a.png
color-select-v1-b.png

For colors, I'd go with lavender, dark orange, grey, and dark blue.... and all common colors for those denominations. Dark green would also work for the T25K.

Try making the color outline border a bit wider, to give each chip a more distinctive color feel. To enhance this effect, make the yellow ring a bit narrower, too.

I'd also recommend using white denominations (with a think black outline stroke).

I’m with @BGinGA. Overall, there is too much of the common color, yellow, on the faces of the chip to quickly distinguish between chips in a splashed pot. I think my eyes/brain would strain to clean up a splashed pot. I think instead of using yellow in the middle-ish ring I would use the lighter version of the outer color just like you had done next to the character faces. So, for example, On Barts chips I would use light purple instead of yellow in the fat ring so that the only common color, yellow, would be the characters face.

I am also in agreement that you need more contrast on the denomination. So white font with red or black outline would work better for quick identification,

I’m with @BGinGA. Overall, there is too much of the common color, yellow, on the faces of the chip to quickly distinguish between chips in a splashed pot.
100%. I would not want to play with those chips, even as improved.

I think that made a huge difference (the middle ring color). I am somewhat indifferent about the denomination color now that I see it though.

A few more possible tweaks. My wife asked me what I was working on yesterday. "Oh, just designing some poker chips." She shook her head, and did not give me that "Valentine's Day"-type look...

chipset-v5.png

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account and join our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Back
Top Bottom